Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanting to try make a fan translation but no language font support?
immortalmewtwo Offline

Threads: 1
Wanting to try make a fan translation but no language font support?

Heya.

This has been bugging me for a few months, and I've been wanting to try to make a Japanese translation for both TDD and AMFP (because I want to put my understanding of Japanese to real-world use). However, whenever I load the game to see the results, either the text doesn't appear or is garbage character or symbols.

I've looked into how the font files work and they seem to be mapped to .dds files that when opened in visual studio, only show the russian characters? I've given a go at making my own .fnt files with Japanese characters in the .fnt files, but this results in a crash Sad

I really want to give translation a go, but being unable to even see my results as I go is a little disheartening. I'm working off a Mac game, and I'm assuming that the files FG made for the game are multiplatform across all versions of the game. If FG could make a multilanguage .fnt pack, that would be great, but forum help is the first place to go to.

Many thanks for any help.
05-02-2015, 11:23 AM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73
RE: Wanting to try make a fan translation but no language font support?

Good day,
I have tried with some other guys to translate anything else then russian \ english (fonts)
None of them worked out.
The game doesnt recognice the charactors other then regular ones as far as i know.

SO Greek \ chinese \ arabic, etc... can not be used.

Unfortunatly.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2015, 12:14 PM by DnALANGE.)
05-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Find
immortalmewtwo Offline

(05-02-2015, 12:13 PM)DnALANGE Wrote: Good day,
I have tried with some other guys to translate anything else then russian \ english (fonts)
None of them worked out.
The game doesnt recognice the charactors other then regular ones as far as i know.

SO Greek \ chinese \ arabic, etc... can not be used.

Unfortunatly.

If I ask Frictional, is there a chance for support on this?
05-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Give it a shot, the worst they could say is "no"
05-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Find
immortalmewtwo Offline

(05-02-2015, 10:12 PM)Statyk Wrote: Give it a shot, the worst they could say is "no"

I've flicked Gripp a message, let's see how it will go.
05-03-2015, 03:52 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

You can make a custom font that does support those characters. Does that not work? I know you can at least make the font, but I don't know if the game will allow them to be displayed if it doesn't know what they are. But have you tried unicode tags?

Take a look here, Jens replied on how:
https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/po...#pid316932

05-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Back in 2011 I translated most of Justine in Greek (special characters) without issues. I just replaced the default font with another one from the game files. It can be done but it's been 4 years and I don't remember the details.

Also, the Greek translation I wrote for White Night was made using the same trick. Keep in mind though, you need to translate in UTF8 or similar via the Lang tool if I remember properly for such languages to work.
05-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Find