Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freezing / unstable framerate issues?
Destroyedbeauty Offline

Threads: 3
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Freezing / unstable framerate issues?

So I did a couple of days ago install Amnesia TDD on my brand new Acer Aspire - Intel i7, Nvidia Geforce GTX860M and 8GB RAM and some additional technical eyecandy hardware wise - but no matter what I am doing regarding the settings - the game is freezing and is having some minor stuttering issues, specially when entering unexplored rooms and so.

Like if it has some troubles with rendering / sampling the frames after a specific FPS-rate and is jumping through the frames at an unstable rate.

I've done an clean install of my Acer (for getting best possible performance out of it) and installed every, latest driver possible. But the issues is still persisting and is destroying my experience of the game. Otherwise - my Acer can handle games like BF4 at Ultra settings with 40-55-65 FPS without any issues at all, so the hardware for this game wouldn't be of any concern, I hope.

Even my old and now dead Aspire from 2010 with an low-budget ATI Radeon HD *somethingsomething* and one of the first generations of Intel i5 Quads could handle the game at 60-70 frames without any issues..

What should I do next?

I've taken a look at the hpl.log file that is created during start-up of the game for the first (?) time and I am seeing something like this under the Initializing Graphics Module section;

Initializing DevIL
Vendor String: Abysmal Software
Version String: Developer's Image Library (DevIL) 1.7.8
Version Number: 178

Can it be related to this, or is this totally irrelevant and of no-go priority?

Attaching hpl.log so you guys maybe can take a look at it and see the reason behind my issues?

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 9.34 KB / Downloads: 114)
06-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Freezing / unstable framerate issues?

Go to your Advanced Graphics Settings and check for an option called SSAO. Turn it off if it is on - it should give you quite a performance boost without really affecting the overall visual atmosphere.

Other things include just lowering your other graphics options.

The occasional stutter is also caused by scripts being executed, probably a few as well. Like, if you were to witness a dust cloud popping up, the game needs to create it, play the animation, sound effects... it needs to load it 'on the go' in most cases.

Also, take a look at Problems B and F here: https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html
They may be able to help a little bit further c:

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2015, 04:06 PM by Romulator.)
06-09-2015, 04:04 PM
Find
Destroyedbeauty Offline

(06-09-2015, 04:04 PM)(拉赫兰) Romulator Wrote: Go to your Advanced Graphics Settings and check for an option called SSAO. Turn it off if it is on - it should give you quite a performance boost without really affecting the overall visual atmosphere.

Other things include just lowering your other graphics options.

The occasional stutter is also caused by scripts being executed, probably a few as well. Like, if you were to witness a dust cloud popping up, the game needs to create it, play the animation, sound effects... it needs to load it 'on the go' in most cases.

Also, take a look at Problems B and F here: https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html
They may be able to help a little bit further c:

Though, I don't know why the game is stuttering at all. My laptop is specific for gaming - regarding the hardware in every way and inch - and can handle Battlefield 4 (just to take an example) without any stutterings on highest graphical settings et.c et.c.

Is it something related to OpenGL or someother non DirectX-related stuffs?
06-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Different engines handle games differently. Battlefield is probably optimized pretty well to avoid such. It MIGHT be OpenGL, but it might also be how the game is made.

But do try to turn SSAO off. Having it any higher than mid will likely only wreck your FPS regardless. It's somewhat of a bugged feature if I remember correctly, where it was not supposed to even be possible to put it that high.

06-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Find
Destroyedbeauty Offline

(06-09-2015, 08:47 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Different engines handle games differently. Battlefield is probably optimized pretty well to avoid such. It MIGHT be OpenGL, but it might also be how the game is made.

But do try to turn SSAO off. Having it any higher than mid will likely only wreck your FPS regardless. It's somewhat of a bugged feature if I remember correctly, where it was not supposed to even be possible to put it that high.

SSAO is already disabled and everything else is at moderate settings.

Maybe something in my attached HPL.log can assist..?

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 9.16 KB / Downloads: 110)
06-09-2015, 10:40 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Try disabling everything in the background, something may be interfering with the game causing it to lag. Could be anything (Fraps, antivirus, mouse/keyboard software etc).
06-10-2015, 12:47 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Loading a saved game will not preload all the content, which can make it stutter until you load the next level. To test if the game is stutter-free, try starting a new game instead of loading the save. If all seems fine with the new game, then go back and load the save, live through the stutters until you get to the next level.
06-10-2015, 07:11 AM
Website Find
Destroyedbeauty Offline

(06-09-2015, 08:47 PM)Mudbill Wrote: Different engines handle games differently. Battlefield is probably optimized pretty well to avoid such. It MIGHT be OpenGL, but it might also be how the game is made.

(06-10-2015, 12:47 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: Try disabling everything in the background, something may be interfering with the game causing it to lag. Could be anything (Fraps, antivirus, mouse/keyboard software etc).

(06-10-2015, 07:11 AM)jens Wrote: Loading a saved game will not preload all the content, which can make it stutter until you load the next level. To test if the game is stutter-free, try starting a new game instead of loading the save. If all seems fine with the new game, then go back and load the save, live through the stutters until you get to the next level.

The minor stuttering / hickup-issue seems to been fixed. How?

My installation disk was in a pretty bad shape, so it seems some files was corrupt / invalide / non-working during installation process and caused havoc during rendering / executing process of various textures / sounds / et.c et.c - so I had to buy the game from Steam and everything seems to be working right now without any hassle or misbehaving.

Thank you all though for the assist! Smile
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2015, 06:11 PM by Destroyedbeauty.)
06-11-2015, 06:09 PM
Find