Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displacement/Height maps?!
Amnesiaplayer Offline

Threads: 105
Displacement/Height maps?!

I am quite finished with orginal amnesia now.
Now, I am more into custom things.
I am trying to make a lot of diffirent landscapes, and displacement/height map, is the only way for it.

I use CrazyBumb, and that creates norm, spec and displacement. (occlusion to)
But amnesia can't use displacement file, but instead, it only has the option "Height" without displacement.
I don't know how to create a height map, or where.
I have a displacement map, but that doesn't work.
So I thought, lemme do this on maya.
I added some subdivisions etc, Did something in Hypershade menu, and then, it worked.
atleast, in maya. I rendered it, it looks really cool. (this thing was a test, I was trying to make sand, look cool. Just to test out)
but then, in Modelview, It "checked" only "Diffuse" this means that displacement maps doesn't work on hpl2.
Is there a way to "change" a displacement file into Height?!
I really need it now...
06-30-2015, 05:10 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Displacement/Height maps?!

The heightmapping in HPL is actually just Parallax Mapping, it just fakes depth in a texture but doesn't actually create any. HPL can not do anything like that for landscaping, your only option is to model it in your modeling package of choise, now depending on the method you use you CAN turn a heightmap into real geometry in maya and then export it to HPL, I have no clue how that would work in Maya since I don't use it myself, but I know it can be done.

For example in Max you would accomplish this using the ''displacement'' modifier.
06-30-2015, 05:20 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(06-30-2015, 05:20 PM)Traggey Wrote: The heightmapping in HPL is actually just Parallax Mapping, it just fakes depth in a texture but doesn't actually create any. HPL can not do anything like that for landscaping, your only option is to model it in your modeling package of choise, now depending on the method you use you CAN turn a heightmap into real geometry in maya and then export it to HPL, I have no clue how that would work in Maya since I don't use it myself, but I know it can be done.

For example in Max you would accomplish this using the ''displacement'' modifier.

Oh thanks, so hpl2 can only use the "faked" ones like Norm etc, okey Tongue so this means, I have to create the "mountains" etc all by myself, no planes..
k thanks Big Grin

Edit: btw, what does the "Height"function do?? Is it there just ofr test or...
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2015, 05:45 PM by Amnesiaplayer.)
06-30-2015, 05:34 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

The height function is for parallax mapping.
06-30-2015, 05:54 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(06-30-2015, 05:54 PM)Traggey Wrote: The height function is for parallax mapping.

Wait, that is what I actually want, That's like if you have a cobblestone ground then you will have "gates" between the stones right? If yes, what file. do I need?
06-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Parallax mapping FAKES height, but doesn't create new geometry so it only works on for example flat surfaces, to create the effect you use a black and white image, black is deep down and white is high up.

[Image: 1zdlw5.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-30-2015, 07:28 PM by Traggey.)
06-30-2015, 07:28 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(06-30-2015, 07:28 PM)Traggey Wrote: Parallax mapping FAKES height, but doesn't create new geometry so it only works on for example flat surfaces, to create the effect you use a black and white image, black is deep down and white is high up.

[Image: 1zdlw5.jpg]

Oh thanks, Btw, is it possible to create a "Bus/Tank" ?
My idea was using it as a monster, and then give it "ride" animations etc, so if you stand on it, you actually ride, on a tank/bus.
I am not a very good animator, but not bad too, but I was thinking about this, Btw, to make the tank "Ride" I just use pathnodes...
06-30-2015, 09:30 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Sure it is, however the standing ontop won't work if the tank/buss is an enemy or so, if it's just an animated prop it should work.
06-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

(06-30-2015, 09:38 PM)Traggey Wrote: Sure it is, however the standing ontop won't work if the tank/buss is an enemy or so, if it's just an animated prop it should work.

Oh, would pathnode work for an animated prop?! or do I need to give my tank it's own speed etc, because The route I'm working on is not really "Straight forward" it's with a lot of corners etc Tongue
06-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Not a clue, I never touched that stuff in HPL.
06-30-2015, 10:37 PM
Find