Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Blender - Cosmos Laundromat
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
Blender - Cosmos Laundromat

Anyone who follows Blender should be aware of this, if you are clueless. Take a peek!

http://gooseberry.blender.org/

---Cosmos Laundromat---
Cosmos Laundromat (codenamed “Project Gooseberry”) is a 10-minute short film, a funny and absurdist 3D-animated story targeted at audiences aged 13 and older. With a planned release date of August 2015, this short will serve as the pilot of a feature film project, which would be the world’s first free/open source animated feature-film production.

---Plot---
On a desolate island, a suicidal sheep named Franck meets his fate…in the form of a quirky salesman named Victor, who offers him the gift of a lifetime. The gift is many lifetimes, actually, in many different worlds – each lasting just a few minutes. In the sequel to the pilot, Franck will find a new reason to live…in the form of a bewitching female adventurer named Tara, who awakens his long-lost lust for life. But can Franck keep up with her?
08-10-2015, 08:01 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
RE: Blender - Cosmos Laundromat

I didn't find it that funny but as a Blender artist myself I can see the thought and care put into this animation. A 8/10 so far, looking forward to it's full release. Smile
08-10-2015, 10:57 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Never been a fan of the blender short films, they've always been dissapointing both rendering and animation wise. Not much of a benchmark.
08-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

What's disappointing IYO about the animation quality in the video?

I know it doesn't have the Disney's Frozen animation flavor or Blizzard's exaggerated slow movement, but it holds up to my expectations for a movie.
08-11-2015, 07:59 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

The quality here is beyond impressive in my opinion. I see no flaws in this. They've put thought into both camera movement/position as well as every expression on their faces. The style almost has a Wallace & Gromit touch to it, I think, even though it looks far from it...

08-11-2015, 08:58 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I find the animation lacks weight, the characters have no presence or impact on the world around them, it is as if they are paper puppets being moved around by invisible strings.

But the main thing I take issue with is Cycles, the rendering engine blender uses, it is extremely sub-par compared to most other avaible rendering engines and it simply fails to impress me.
08-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

I know what you mean by character's lacking "weight", but I can't see how you see that in this video.

I know they don't exaggerate the movements as much as other films. But when Franck is pushing the branch or Victor is coming out of the Washer, they feel adequately "weighted". Not exaggerated, but it feels good.

I can only fault the grass or wool physics which didn't perfectly move with the Rope which could kill the illusion.
08-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Find