Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14
SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)

Here are some descriptions and images of the enemies we've seen so far. In true Frictional style, it's hard to get a good look at them, but I've done my best. Enemies 5-8 only appear in the "Creatures Trailer".

Please forgive the octuple post!

Enemy #1:
Spoiler below!
This enemy resembles a giant spider. So far, it has only appeared in the teaser.

[Image: GzZnTvW.jpg]
Simon's first glimpse of the creature.

[Image: uSBu7kl.jpg]
Simon hides behind a rock.

[Image: H2PFpQl.jpg]
The creature scuttles down a wall.

Enemy #2:
Spoiler below!
Catherine Chun calls this the "Jiangshi". Forum members affectionately call it "Disco Ball Head". It seemingly has the ability to teleport, and moves faster when Simon looks at it. It can also open doors.

[Image: uMqw4C7.jpg]
A close-up of the Jiangshi's bizarre head.

[Image: U5866CS.jpg]
The glowing head alerts Simon to the Jiangshi's presence.

[Image: 8ht7QNq.jpg]
Simon's first encounter with a Jiangshi, guided by Catherine Chun.

[Image: Z38KMxY.jpg]
A blurry image from the E3 trailer.

Enemy #3:
Spoiler below!
Encountered in Upsilon, this robot is large and clumsy, but can move very quickly when it spots Simon.

[Image: o62Ldh3.jpg]
A view of the robot's rear.

[Image: uCGOVQ9.jpg]
The robot charges Simon.

[Image: QCeHaIC.jpg]
Another view of the robot's rear.

[Image: 20qOHKM.jpg]
A close-up side view.

Enemy #4:
Spoiler below!
This robot swims underwater. It appears to be in agony, begging for structure gel.

[Image: dH2rHoL.jpg]
The robot hasn't noticed Simon yet.

[Image: 8wUaa6N.jpg]
The robot tries to break a window.

[Image: QWpCg4u.jpg]
A close-up side view.

[Image: kyF5MN9.jpg]
The robot attacks, tentacles outstretched.

Enemy #5:
Spoiler below!
This enemy is seen very briefly. It swims with rolling movements, and resembles a slug.

[Image: dFjLyit.jpg]
The enemy retreats from Simon.

Enemy #6:
Spoiler below!
This humanoid resembles a zombie or a Borg drone.

[Image: MbwrJBM.jpg]
The humanoid passes by a doorway.

[Image: tyUMhxY.jpg]
A side view.

[Image: k1o6ypI.jpg]
Another side view.

[Image: gGQ7e43.jpg]
An ominous shadow.

Enemy #7:
Spoiler below!
This creature reflects no light, and is only visible as a silhouette. It walks with strange, lurching movements.

[Image: VnZqJJG.jpg]
The creature enters a room in Theta.

[Image: gvDSC0i.jpg]
The creature turns a corner.

[Image: PAfHxN3.jpg]
The creature stands in a hallway.

Enemy #8:
Spoiler below!
This appears to be a fast-moving humanoid with exposed muscles.

[Image: PKzHXs6.jpg]
A view of the humanoid's legs.

[Image: Ttz6Pi3.jpg]
The humanoid chases Simon.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2015, 07:25 PM by GhylTarvoke.)
09-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

Threads: 30
RE: SOMA Enemies (major spoilers)

Unlike in Amnesia where there is three and one you can't even see. There is plenty of monsters in Soma!! This is so exciting! Btw the last two are bone chilling..
09-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(09-10-2015, 07:31 PM)Koopa Rs07 Wrote: Unlike in Amnesia where there is three and one you can't even see. There is plenty of monsters in Soma!! This is so exciting! Btw the last two are bone chilling..

Actually, according to the lore there are five. Grunts, Brutes, Kaernk, The Shadow, and Justine's Suitors. I know that shadow is technically not an enemy and is made using scripting, but it's still counted as an enemy.
09-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

Threads: 30

(09-10-2015, 10:20 PM)Slanderous Wrote:
(09-10-2015, 07:31 PM)Koopa Rs07 Wrote: Unlike in Amnesia where there is three and one you can't even see. There is plenty of monsters in Soma!! This is so exciting! Btw the last two are bone chilling..

Actually, according to the lore there are five. Grunts, Brutes, Kaernk, The Shadow, and Justine's Suitors. I know that shadow is technically not an enemy and is made using scripting, but it's still counted as an enemy.

You're right. And I'd say SOMA is a lot more "visual" with their monsters.
09-11-2015, 01:17 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

Here's what I can't understand about enemies 2 and 7.

On the one hand, they seem to have magical abilities that don't belong in the setting. The Jiangshi can clearly teleport, while #7 appears insubstantial (its complete darkness makes it look more like a spirit or a shadow than anything real). This suggests that they're imaginary - or viruses, if Simon's a computer.

On the other hand, Frictional has said that the events in SOMA are actually happening. Simon is not dreaming or in a digital simulation.

(In an interview, Ian Thomas said: "I'm not by any means saying it's all a dream, because it absolutely isn't all a dream. But you know, you come away from Inception, and there's this whole argument raging about, 'Was that real? Was that not real?' That's not the question we're asking, because it's real.")

Furthermore, the enemies have tangible effects. The Jiangshi can injure Simon (or even kill him, as seen in a preview) and open doors, while #7 casts a shadow. Catherine is also aware of the Jiangshi.
09-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

(09-11-2015, 09:01 AM)GhylTarvoke Wrote: Here's what I can't understand about enemies 2 and 7.

On the one hand, they seem to have magical abilities that don't belong in the setting. The Jiangshi can clearly teleport, while #7 appears insubstantial (its complete darkness makes it look more like a spirit or a shadow than anything real). This suggests that they're imaginary - or viruses, if Simon's a computer.

Quantum teleportation? Story is in the future. But, seeing this modified humans,
my guess is the game has some alien backstory maybe connected with asteriod or,on the other hand, incredible artificial intelligence.
09-11-2015, 11:06 AM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

Personally, the last 3 creatures scare me to death. It's good that they have some actual humanoids as well, instead of robots only.
09-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

What about this thing? [Image: grpa21pt76cqfvozni6n.jpg]

This forum is dead
09-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4

That could be old Number 6. In the trailer you don't really see it's face, but it's wearing some kind out outer armour/skin.

Maybe the tentacles come out, when it attacks?

Either that, or this was just something made back in the early days. This pic is from a while ago.
09-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(09-11-2015, 12:53 PM)MrSteve Wrote: That could be old Number 6. In the trailer you don't really see it's face, but it's wearing some kind out outer armour/skin.

Maybe the tentacles come out, when it attacks?

Either that, or this was just something made back in the early days. This pic is from a while ago.

I guess it's either number 6 or an early monster then.

This forum is dead
09-11-2015, 12:57 PM
Find