Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent Black Screening
Fortelleren Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago Intermittent Black Screening

I seem to be getting an issue where every so often my screen will go completely black. I can still move around when this happens. Sometimes it will correct itself by moving around enough, however the only sure means of fixing it is to hit ESC twice.

General behaviour:
  • Seems to be intermittent but happens predictably in certain places.
  • Does not seem to be affected by any graphical setting changes.
  • Happens both under Windows 10 and Linux Mint 17.2 (Based on Ubuntu 14.04).

I have tried the following:
  • Ensuring drivers are up to date, they are.
  • Adjusting graphical settings.
  • Searching for a similar issue.
  • Manually installing updates from this forum.
  • Running under a different operating system.

My GPU is a Nvidia GTX 970 using the latest 355 driver.
Please find enclosed by hpl.log

Many thanks.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 6.21 KB / Downloads: 104)
09-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: Intermittent Black Screening

Amongst the settings you have changed, was turning off SSAO one of them? I would also assume that you have toyed with the Advanced Graphical Post-Effects within the game's options menu, but if you have not, I would recommend unchecking those as well.

You state that you can "predict" when these black screen errors occur based on the area around you. Are you able to state rather specifically where such occur or have occurred?

Also, since you have run the game (and had the black screens appear), did you reopen the game? A new hpl.log file is generated each time the game is run, and as such, overwrites previous logs. I only ask because it appears you only went as far as the menu in your attached log file.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2015, 10:29 AM by Romulator.)
09-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Find
Fortelleren Offline

hi,
I've tried SSAO and the advanced settings both on and off. I seem to be able to replicate it when just entering into the area after the 'Old Archives'. I go up the flight of stairs and to the right past the barred door and it seems to predictably happen when crossing into the room at the end of the walkway.

I've enclosed a new log file that was saved just after the blackscreen.

Thanks

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 7.09 KB / Downloads: 101)
09-16-2015, 10:37 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Hmm, for Linux a guess could be to try turning off compiz composition. But then not sure why it would be the same on windows, or are you running windows in virtualization? Could try turning off composition in windows as well.

All looks good in the log and have not heard of this before that I can recall. Have you simply tried rebooting the computer?
09-16-2015, 10:40 AM
Website Find
Fortelleren Offline

(09-16-2015, 10:40 AM)jens Wrote: Hmm, for Linux a guess could be to try turning off compiz composition. But then not sure why it would be the same on windows, or are you running windows in virtualization? Could try turning off composition in windows as well.

All looks good in the log and have not heard of this before that I can recall. Have you simply tried rebooting the computer?

Windows is running native via dual boot. I've tried rebooting a number of times.
09-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Find
Unregistered

On the suspicion that it may be a GPU issue rather than anything specifically to do with the game itself, I tried increasing the power to my GPU via the configuration utility for my card. The black screens seem to have largely stopped.
09-16-2015, 02:27 PM
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

That was obviously a hardware issue as it was happening under both Windows and Linux. Make sure you disable any overclocking while testing the game and disable any background applications that could be causing issues.
09-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Find
Fortelleren Offline

The issue seems to have returned, even with additional power to the GPU. Same issues as before.
09-17-2015, 10:22 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

By "additional power" I suppose you mean overclocking. As I said, you need to disable all these in order to test the game properly. If that's not the case, it's a hardware problem with your graphics card. Either way, it's not game-related but hardware-related. Amnesia has been out for 5 years and such a problem has never been reported in the past. That combined with the fact that the same issue happens across different operating systems clearly points to a computer issue. That is my understanding of such an issue.
09-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Perhaps try different settings in the nvidia control panel and see if that helps. I don't think there is anything wrong with the actual game, not being lazy, but so far never heard of this so indicates it is something specific with your setup.

Have you tried running any other OpenGL based game on it?
09-17-2015, 10:27 AM
Website Find