Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What would you rate SOMA out of 10?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1-2
0%
0 0%
3-4
0%
0 0%
5-6
1.41%
1 1.41%
7-8
23.94%
17 23.94%
9-10
74.65%
53 74.65%
Total 71 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOMA Member Review Thread
Filizitas Offline

Threads: 7
RE: SOMA Member Review Thread

Yes i forgot /@/ thx

Tentacle raping guy is coming for ya Q.Q Watcha gonna do?
09-23-2015, 10:42 AM
Find
matryona12 Offline

Threads: 1

Everything is great especial details, so i will tell what i think can make game even better. So, really one thing that was in my mind that so great and beautiful locations passing too fast, but again i don`t want to run throw them to much, however this means that locations was so great that i wanted to spent much more time exploring... and one more thing location from teaser level, those metal corridors, i know they was in game but so little time, really that wasn`t used as much as it could.

And there was a moment with spiders caves, that was just wildlife, i was waiting when i`ll find those who infected by that WAU gel, and attack me like it was in penumbra, that could be great.

Well to be more clear i want to said that game is great, and it will be even more great if more stuff be in there like i said about spiders, like those depressing corridors from teaser. All i wanna say that game have bigger potential, but it still great. Thanks a lot frictional games, youre one of few studios whos games i really looking for. Can`t wait for your new game.
09-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Find
LordOfDragons Offline

Threads: 14
My own review for SOMA

Hey guys, i just finished playing SOMA and i decided to write a review as i felt like it has to be said.

Okay. First, let me describe SOMA in one word: AWESOME!
I really dont know how to describe it better. Everything is so beautiful and detailed, like the new gui system for computers, the effects, the environments, the animations and much more like the voice acting. It's so realistic and epic. SOMA is one of the games, which seriously got me hyped from the moment, i first saw a trailer or teaser. I play other games, but they weren't that interesting and entertaining like SOMA is... It's o epic.

Frictional Games, you did such a damn good job with this game. It took 5 years to create it, but here it is. A game, worth to be played (Well basically, all games are worth it, if you are interested, but not all of them are that fun to play for me). I can't imagine how much work that must have been, but i bet it is a lot, and you can feel that while roaming around in the huge maps.
So, is SOMA worth buying? YES. In my opinion, SOMA is one of the best games i have ever played, judging from the fun. When i buy new games, i often leave them to rot for a while, until i get into the mood again.
Well i am kinda speechless. It was so much fun exploring every little detail, no matter how small it was...

And i was kinda surprised how my settings turned out. Expected the graphics to be lower, but it looked like i was playing on high settings... Not that it matters that much, there are many other things which make a game interesting, but wow....
It was quite a ride to the end. The creepy atmosphere, all the different monsters, secrets... I needed around 17 hours for it because i spent most of my time exploring, instead of rushing right through it. Because that's how this one has to be played.

There things which made me kinda sad, like the ending. But not because of how you have done it, because
Spoiler below!
The A.I version of Simon wasnt transferred into the ark and was left to rot in the deep sea
But i guess every game needs or deserves an ending fitting to it's genre and that's what i love at your work.
I feel like i already said enough ._.
So yeah. Just felt like writing this Smile
Keep up the good work FG crew, you guys are awesome.

~Dragon

EDIT: Woops, just noticed i had to post it here. Didn't see that. Thanks for moving it Kreek^^

The question that will never be answered:
SOMA WHY ARE YOU SO BEAUTIFUL? ;_;
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2015, 09:14 PM by LordOfDragons.)
09-24-2015, 08:40 PM
Find
MaatjeBroccoli Offline

Threads: 0
RE: My own review for SOMA

I really do agree with your review. It's a beautiful game and it looks so polished. Just one thing though:

Spoiler below!
The A.I. of Simon certaintly did make it to the Ark, only not the version of the A.I. that you were playing at that point. (Or that's how I see at least Tongue)

However Frictional Games,
You guys again did an amazing job. You delivered a very immersive game of top notch quality keep it up!
09-24-2015, 09:00 PM
Find
grrrz Offline

(09-24-2015, 09:00 PM)MaatjeBroccoli Wrote: I really do agree with your review. It's a beautiful game and it looks so polished. Just one thing though:

Spoiler below!
The A.I. of Simon certaintly did make it to the Ark, only not the version of the A.I. that you were playing at that point. (Or that's how I see at least Tongue)

However Frictional Games,
You guys again did an amazing job. You delivered a very immersive game of top notch quality keep it up!
Spoiler below!

both thing happened at the same time, and you can play the happy ending at the end of the credits (don't know if you can really miss it).
I really liked the 'first' ending, because you had to face exactly this situation earlier in the game, and I chose to end the life of Simon 2 because I knew his reaction would be something like this. His reaction is very human, because he understands very well why he's still here, but he can't accept it.

09-25-2015, 01:01 AM
Find
Tommyboypsp Offline

Threads: 10

Are you also allowed/supposed to discuss eachothers reviews here?

Funderbunk Wrote:Playing Amnesia through to the end has increased the size of my genitalia exponentially and made me into a real man.
09-25-2015, 02:09 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-25-2015, 02:09 AM)Tommyboypsp Wrote: Are you also allowed/supposed to discuss eachothers reviews here?

Yes you are. This thread is intended as the mega thread for all things related to general member reviews of SOMA, so that includes discussions of each other's reviews as well!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-25-2015, 02:53 AM
Find
göko Offline

I already posted this, this morning into steam discussion, decided to copy-paste it here as well.
--spoilers and major wall of text ahead--
I wouldn't call this a "game", I think Frictional outdone the whole "game" concept and created something what I'd call a masterpiece, a stunning masterpiece. So first off, thanks to everyone at Frictional games, and thanks to everyone who contributed in the making of SOMA.

The story truly hits the nail in the head..I had so many thoughts while playing..

After completion now, I will try writing some of those thoughts. Anyone welcomed to share their ideas, their different takes etc.
Also I think there are much more to discuss about soma besides performance or that sort of stuff and thats another reason for this thread.

Throughout the game, It was very dramatic and chilling; to pretend being a snapshot, an image of consciousness inserted into a robot. I kept playing because I wanted to know how future is depicted in the game, how more pathetic can humanity become in the future. It was heart wrenching at times.

About foolishness.. the whole idea of ARK, simulated reality and humans willingly put their images in it and believe that they will exist is one thing, but people self-murder while believing that they will somehow continue existing the same was the most chilling moment I had in a game.

We get to know Catherine the best. She is basicly one of the latest members who experienced the human society at that time. Also she have a quite unique personality. She is a rebel inside. She "doesn't fit".

What we learn from her, human beings basicly degreded to machine qualities, programmed to ignore themselves. The only difference left between human and machine is biological vs mechanical. And WAU somehow overcomes this physical difference with "gel", and It does what It can to put the gel into use after comet hits the planet. It (WAU) basicly takes the idea of "humans putting consciousness into machines" (what gave birth to It in the first place) and reverses it.

One season world
As I played and explored the game, C.G. Jung quotes was flying inside my head.

The crew of pathos-II are pretty much last of humans on planet. They are like the most advanced and also the most pathetic sum of all the wrongdoings throughout human history. They are so lost. They are psychological wrecks. Even more than Simon consciousness.

You find out, you as a player, who wakes up inside a robot suit in the future, you and the crew are not that different. Simon's phisical situation (him being robot) already took place in the biological level in the last 100 years with conditioning. There were humans once, but they never really existed. Observing all this as Simon, the robotic consciousness snapshot, makes situation more and more dramatic and ironic. Most of the time, Simon consciousness is surprised at future humans. Or, at least to their snapshots.

We read some of the crew, rigging themselves to suicide, to self-destruct right after their brain scan completes.

We see what we have in the today's world at a more advanced state: probes to feel "safer", all kinds of complex machinery to make life "better", sucking the planet dry in more advanced ways to support "life".. A complete one season - backwards world where human being has to avoid any kind of stress while inventing all sorts of complex illusions necessary..and pills. Psychiatric drugs everywhere around the station to keep "normal" and "fine".

And, few members belong to the group, the "last of humanity" kills themselves, believing they will continue to live on their artificial images..

“Neurosis is always a substitute for legitimate suffering” - C.G. Jung

That pretty much sums the whole situation. I see comet hitting the planet and destroying whole life, is just a neurosis manifested on a cosmic level. And the AI taking over the station after the impact is the existential level of the same neurosis manifesting itself. Probably besides few people who have some sense of individuality (like that security personnel, Wan?), nobody has any idea about existence, or sense of it.

Humanity basicly lost themselves in the denying game and they have completely forgotten their power, which reduced and trapped them in machine consciousness, hell, this is even (ARK) called "the last big hope to save the mankind"...a project which belongs to Catherine, a dreamer at heart as we find out later on. She somehow does belong here and doesn't. She is an anomaly. She has a part of her never consumed by the collective.

Catherine makes both sad and terrifying statements; one about ark such as "there is always good weather there" or about her life "I never liked being a human in the world". And most of the other crew, besides who got mad, pretty much same, they were already lost all basic human sensations or never had them, even before the impact. After the impact, they can self-murder without hesitation or later in the game we find out murder others, like catherine was also got murdered by her colleague.

The avoidance from reality got so extreme in the future, people were already living in an artificial state called "collective" without any sense of "I" whatsoever, so they are imagining that they can "live inside a simulation or a chip and exist" that way. This is not about comet hitting and destroying most of the life on planet, this was the way of "life" as we find out but catastrophic situation just quickened things. Being "happy" all the time, is only goal as we hear from the consciousness snapshots by the very start of our journey, when we unplug one of them It whispers "I was happy there".

Artificial happiness, which brings the name of the game, soma, it was the famous cure-all / fix-all /be-happy all time drug for the creatures of the collective in the 1931 novel Brave New World.

Human being avoiding the true nature of individual reality for all costs. Denying himself or herself, sacrificing the self for acceptance, believing in an artificially induced happiness and chasing only the good of all ie for the group. For the mankind in this case. Creating sub-realities to chase only a dull,white washed happiness..

And we see how Catherine can easily understand the idea of copying-cloning a consciousness yet Simon having hard time to deal with it. There is no "I" in the future, only the collective. Sense of "I", individual is non existant. It is history. But Simon, time traveled from the past, even sees a robot as an individual. He can't understand this. Catherine knows, everyone is a clone of everyone already in a biological suits called human body. So she has no problem understanding the idea of having lots different of machine snapshots of her consciousness.

In the future, editing everything into 'summer' or being 'happy' all time is not just a fantasy or drug induced hallucination. It is doable with technology so madness continues... and humans comes to an end in the race called running from nature of consciousness and finally getting wiped completely by the cosmos itself.

In some way, I like to think planet gets rid of millions of clones by the comet. Universe can not hold any longer what has dumped on it and just throws back all of it at once. WAU, simulates this, WAU reverses the process that once humans put consciousness into machines, he starts putting consciousness into humans, same as the universe.

Post-human world
I got lots of philosophical statements to make but, I got to mention the current 'WAU' or "comet" or "catastrophe". Which is building up on this planet, which is ongoing for decades to those who know and how story of the "game" is an actuality to those who don't know.

“Does God Exist? Well I would say, not yet.” -Ray Kurzweil
Well, he is serious. This is not your friendly neighborhood mad maniac talking, this guy,Ray Kurzweil, In and out from almost every important trans-humanist project. Worked in Google's futuristics department, been to DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency), IARPA (Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity), helped creating the "Singularity university", leading trans-humanist and so on.

He basicly claims one day, whole galaxy will be infested with nanobots, and this is inevitable, human era is over, some time around 2030's every human will become "trans-human". Hybrids. Every living being from mosquito or to non living rock, will become merged with a single consciousness. A machine all knowing consciousness will control everything, obviously what he calls "god" on that quote.

And here is your neighborhood brain-mapping program. Launched by the obama few years ago: https://www.whitehouse.gov/share/brain-initiative

I'm not even going to mention all the suffering of millions of people this very second by the artificially created wars, synthetic terror, artificially induced hunger by corporations to grab people's land, poison in food, toxic psychiatry drugs, suicide rates or self murder, or humans killing other human beings. These are all signs of big margin of planet's population already lost their ability to "feel" human. Or "feel" anything.

We are experiencing this very extinction today. It's just not manifested in some catastrophic way yet, if you rule out the wars..

The "WAU" mindset, mimicing, collectivist - ant hill mindset was working for decades now on this planet to erase the sense of individual on all areas of life.

Here is another one of them, a maniac extraordinaire, pioneer (!) of brain implants on human beings, greatly supported - funded by the world governments, was a professor at Yale for years, made the most shocking experiments and statements such as this, says:

"Man does not have the right to develop his own mind. This kind of liberal orientation has great appeal. We must electrically control the brain. Some day armies and generals will be controlled by electric stimulation of the brain." - Dr. Jose Delgado

Sense of "I", sense of a unique "self", like catherine depicts when elevator descending down to abyss. Feeling of connected to all yet feeling so unique at the same time, feeling her hair dances with the wind and all.. depicted very eloquently and how she never felt that way again even after climbing the stairs to roof so many times as a kid..

“Your hand opens and closes, opens and closes. If it were always a fist or always stretched open, you would be paralysed. Your deepest presence is in every small contracting and expanding, the two as beautifully balanced and coordinated as birds' wings.” -Mevlana Rumi

..repetition is bound to become a boredom, an artificiality. Everyone holds the power of creativity buried deep inside, they just somehow forget it, gets lost in the process at sometime, somewhere. It isn't lost forever, only forgotten, waiting to be found in everyone. people grow up and just forget. But It's still there, waiting. Joy of freedom is creativity and that can never come from any group, any crowd or a machine..you need space, and only the individual can achieve the power of creating space.

The Power of creative imagination. That's what is missing. And no, no need for ports, brain scans, nanobots, battery packs, arks, machines. None of that. Unlimited imagination is what is infinite. True power, it is in the reach of everyone, waiting to be tapped at this very second.

I read this quote the other day, sums up everything I want to say about the game:
"Any great work of art... revives and readapts time and space, and the measure of its success is the extent to which it makes you an inhabitant of that world — the extent to which it invites you in and lets you breathe its strange, special air." -Leonard Bernstein
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 07:08 PM by göko.)
09-25-2015, 06:51 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

Just finished the game, and I don't have words to describe it, maybe later.

For now - 9/10.

This forum is dead
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2015, 05:00 PM by TiManGames.)
09-26-2015, 05:00 PM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

Just finished it. Whew, where to start.

Pros

-Setting
-Story
-Visuals
-Sound design
-Voice acting*
-Level design**
-Ending

Cons

-Enemy encounters
-Writing
-Pacing (first 3rd of the game)
-Voice acting*
-Level design**

* I found the voice acting hit and miss. I don't think the VO's captured the sense of despair which the story was portraying. I think this was also due to the writing. Slight disconnect between exploring this oppressive, omnious enviroment to then hearing occasionally cheesy dialogue. It got better the further the game progressed though. And I'm pretty sure it's due to translation. Would love to play it in Swedish.

** Unless you have a photographic memory and manage to map out the (beautifully) intricate designed areas, it's near impossible to escape from a monster when detected. I found the "Amnesia style" enemy encounters really frustrating, apart from maybe one or two sections. The blue headed teleporting dude was awesome though. Shoulda focused more on him.

I'd give it a 7/10. Loved (almost) every minute of it. Not as scary as Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but far more ambitious and thought provoking. There's very few games out there like it.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2015, 06:23 PM by pinkribbonscars.)
09-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Find