Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra: Overture crash. OpenAL
Ramsey Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Penumbra: Overture crash. OpenAL

I seem to have a problem with my Penumbra: Overture. For some reason, starting this morning, I cannot successfully start the game up. When I click it, the screen goes black, blinks back to the desktop, black again, and then it crashes with the error message:

FATAL ERROR:
Failed!Check your OpenAL installation.

Then nothing, I press okay and that's it. I tried installing OpenAL, that did nothing, so what do I do? I run a Windows Vista, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, and run the game off of Steam. Please help me.
12-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Find
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Penumbra: Overture crash. OpenAL

(12-27-2009, 06:04 PM)Ramsey Wrote: I seem to have a problem with my Penumbra: Overture. For some reason, starting this morning, I cannot successfully start the game up. When I click it, the screen goes black, blinks back to the desktop, black again, and then it crashes with the error message:

FATAL ERROR:
Failed!Check your OpenAL installation.

Then nothing, I press okay and that's it. I tried installing OpenAL, that did nothing, so what do I do? I run a Windows Vista, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, and run the game off of Steam. Please help me.

When you say "For some reason, starting this morning, I cannot successfully start the game up", you mean than you could start it before?
Make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound card. Also, what OpenAL redistributable did you install?

EOF
12-28-2009, 12:25 AM
Find
Nebula Offline

Threads: 0

He isn't the only one with the issue...

I'll do one better. I just got the " Penumbra Collector Pack" from steam and installed it onto my system; as soon as I did and let it update as necessary I clicked on overture to check it out and bang crash to desktop with this error:
[Image: whattheheck.jpg]

I tried the other 2 games as well and I get the same result....

My system is up to date, I have the latest drivers for everything... here are my specs through speccy:

[Image: yayspeccy.jpg]

I am 100% sure my 8800 GT cards can use vertex shaders >.<

EDIT: here is the HPL log....
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2010, 04:53 AM by Tuckinator.)
01-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Find
Nebula Offline

added log file to my previous post.
01-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Nebula:
This is a separate issue, so please make different posts for this in the future (makes things easier).

As for your problem, it is a driver issue. The drivers you have report that there is no real OpenGL support, so the only way to fix it is to update the drivers or to use a different driver version. Having this error should also mean that you can play no other game that use OpenGL (such as Prey and Doom 3).
01-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Find
Nebula Offline

ah alright... when I first read through this the Open AL issue (here and on another forum) it seemed close to mine sorry... anyway...

now to the problem...
If that were so then I wouldn't be able to play the original "Half Life" or "Homeworld" both of which use Open GL, however I can...

I'll try reinstalling my gfx driver again tonight after I'm done being swamped by work...
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2010, 02:33 PM by Tuckinator.)
01-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

Those games probably use very basic OpenGL. You could try Prey or Doom 3 and see if that works, just to make sure.
01-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Find