Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Violence and Guns?
Ahmed Quast Offline
Banned

Threads: 5
Violence and Guns?

(10-05-2015, 12:46 PM)Nice Wrote: [Image: 4xTAwjS.png]
BTW: Do you agree with the quote in your signature? Why?
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 02:28 PM by Kreekakon.)
10-05-2015, 01:37 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Games containing the first level

(10-05-2015, 01:37 PM)Ahmed Quast Wrote: BTW: Do you agree with the quote in your signature? Why?

I am friends with the member Nice, and since he does not seem to be present at the moment I can answer for him as he has shared the quote with me before:

He thinks that it is a quote that makes no sense and is illogical since it points to video games and movies as being a more guilty cause of gun violence rather than the guns themselves. He has it as his signature mainly as a joke that is poking fun at how silly the quote is.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 01:55 PM by Kreekakon.)
10-05-2015, 01:54 PM
Find
Ahmed Quast Offline
Banned

RE: Games containing the first level

(10-05-2015, 01:54 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: He thinks that it is a quote that makes no sense and is illogical since it points to video games and movies as being a more guilty cause of gun violence rather than the guns themselves. He has it as his signature mainly as a joke that is poking fun at how silly the quote is.
Guns are a means to an end. Knifes often do the job aswell. And to use knifes or guns, you need two things: practise and conviction. You can get both to a degree from playing violent games. Therefore, people kill people, not guns. Are video games a good practising field? They are for shooting, but they are not for using a knife, as the user is pushing a button, not executing knife stabbing movement. Even though his statement is false being seen as a necessary factor, it is true being seen as one way to accomplish "success" of executing real violence.

In many areas, people start practicing in a simulator, be it flying a jet or even driving a car. Studies show, that people perform better after having practised in a virtual surrounding. So it is not far fetched to assume violent video games (not automatically violent movies) to be the original cause in the chain events that lead to violence instead of guns.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM by Ahmed Quast.)
10-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Violence and Guns?

(10-05-2015, 02:21 PM)Ahmed Quast Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 01:54 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: He thinks that it is a quote that makes no sense and is illogical since it points to video games and movies as being a more guilty cause of gun violence rather than the guns themselves. He has it as his signature mainly as a joke that is poking fun at how silly the quote is.
Guns are a means to an end. Knifes often do the job aswell. And to use knifes or guns, you need two things: practise and conviction. You can get both to a degree from playing violent games. Therefore, people kill people, not guns. Are video games and movies a good practising field? They are for shooting, but they are not for using a knife, as the user is pushing a button, not executing knife stabbing movement. Even though his statement is false being seen as a necessary factor, it is true being seen as one way to accomplish "success" of executing real violence.

In many areas, people start practicing in a simulator, be it flying a jet or even driving a car. Studies show, that people perform better after having practised in a virtual surrounding. So it is not far fetched to assume violent video games (not automatically violent movies) to be the original cause in the chain events that lead to violence instead of guns.

I'm sorry to have split up your thread but I feel like that this could be a thing that is worth talking about if you really want to get into it in a thread of its own. So if I've messed up any of your posts from the other thread, feel free to put them back in.

Anyways to continue on the talk. I do think that video games do have the tendency to brew aggressive behavior, but I do think it has also been shown in studies (I may have to look this up) that they rarely do affect adults who play them to a point where they would go out and put their aggressive behavior in real action. Adults in this manner while they do get very aggressive when playing games tend to be able to differ a fantasy world form a reality world and therefore would not act on it too often.

It's not far-fetched to believe they may get better somewhat (This is arguable since video game depiction of violence is more often unrealistic than realistic) at using the tools of violence but I would say it doesn't foster too much into their actual motivation in taking such actions.

Another study I read a while back though shows that this is less true for children who can very realistically be motivated by violence in video games to act upon such impulses since they lack the more clean-cut distinction between fantasy and reality that adults may have. However in this case, it is up to the parents to ensure that they do not allow their children to be negatively affected by entertainment which was not meant for them to be consumed in the first place.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-05-2015, 02:35 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(10-05-2015, 02:21 PM)Ahmed Quast Wrote: Guns are a means to an end. Knifes often do the job aswell. And to use knifes or guns, you need two things: practise and conviction. You can get both to a degree from playing violent games. Therefore, people kill people, not guns. Are video games and movies a good practising field? They are for shooting, but they are not for using a knife, as the user is pushing a button, not executing knife stabbing movement. Even though his statement is false being seen as a necessary factor, it is true being seen as one way to accomplish "success" of executing real violence.

You can't get any practise or conviction in regards to guns and knives when playing videogames. None at all.

You need to know which way to turn the magazine, how to eject it, how to insert it, how to turn the safey on & off, you need to know how to adjust your gun aim so it matches your sight. You need to know what's the proper way to hold a gun too. If one was to learn from most of the movies and videogames you'd end up missing everything or waste case scenario being knocked back in the head/chin from the recoil.

As for knives, no matter how many different ways you can swing them or throw them in the videogame, at the end of the day - if you take it in real life. You still need body coordination, finger control and when it comes to throwing a knife the ability to keep coordinate your arm with enough control so you don't hit a car 10 metres away instead of the person you were throwing the knife against.

Guns kill people. - in regards to your "guns dont kill people", yes they do

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
10-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Find
Ahmed Quast Offline
Banned

(10-05-2015, 02:37 PM)Nice Wrote: You can't get any practise or conviction in regards to guns and knives when playing videogames. None at all.

That is not a convincing statement. You are black and white, I am 50 shades of grey. You get practise when playing videogames and you are better prepared compared to never having played them. But you are not a perfect shooter by practising video games.

This whole discussion is based on the same level as gay rights, when gays try to convince others that there was scientific proof for being gay to be natural.
10-05-2015, 03:01 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(10-05-2015, 03:01 PM)Ahmed Quast Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 02:37 PM)Nice Wrote: You can't get any practise or conviction in regards to guns and knives when playing videogames. None at all.

That is not a convincing statement. You are black and white, I am 50 shades of grey. You get practise when playing videogames and you are better prepared compared to never having played them. But you are not a perfect shooter by practising video games.

This whole discussion is based on the same level as gay rights, when gays try to convince others that there was scientific proof for being gay to be natural.

which is why I said "none at all" I didn't say it doesnt make you perfect, I said it doesnt even make you better and i'm willing to hear your arguments about why they would, based on the post I did beforehand.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
10-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(10-05-2015, 03:01 PM)Ahmed Quast Wrote: This whole discussion is based on the same level as gay rights, when gays try to convince others that there was scientific proof for being gay to be natural.

lol

How is that discussion (which is mostly over - if you're sane) in any way related to this one?

[Image: p229xcq]
10-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

Violent games do not motivate people to murder, but rather worsen those who already have issues with their mentality.
10-05-2015, 04:33 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

The era we are in now is the most peaceful era humans have lived in. That might be hard to believe considering all the little wars here and there, but collectively it's true. This is also the only era we've had video games. Now, these don't necessarily mean anything; it's rather the statistics of how many people who play violent games who are also violent. How is that statistic? I don't know.

If anything, violent games might be a positive way for stressed people to relieve themselves without putting others in harm. Of course, one thing I will agree to is that people are extremely toxic with their attitudes, but I think that's more of a competitive gamer thing than a violent gamer thing (as CSGO, LoL and Dota 2 are good examples of).

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 04:42 PM by Mudbill.)
10-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Find