Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What about "Horror" in Amnesia?
TheLittleGarfield Offline

Threads: 2
RE: What about "Horror" in Amnesia?

(01-20-2010, 04:14 PM)Kedjane Wrote: I greatly prefer modern sci-fi horror over old castles.
Dark concrete wallways, flickering lights, malfunctioning electronic doors, ventilation shafts, elevators and so on. The more modern, the more I believe I can relate to it living in a modern society.
I've made a list of things I'd like to see in a Penumbra-like sci-fi horror game including PDAs (great for all information you don't want on the game screen such as a map, objectives, notes etc), walkie talkies for communication, lighters, padlocks and lots of other stuff. Also viruses, mutations, electromagnetical disturbances or other physical anomalies are pretty hot nowadays.
I think Penumbra have managed to catch a lot of interesting things in one game: there's most of the above in one of the games as well as other interesting things like the blood sample test and a secret organisation of some sort, the Archaic.
Another game I really like the theme of is FEAR. I love the idea of all the clone soldiers controlled by a psychic and the scene where they are all "deactivated" was really cool. There's plenty of technological stuff in FEAR and the whole main plot is pretty cool in my opinion. I like the "warfare" against the paranormal ghosts and all that, it's more like a war instead of just one terrified school student or something going at them. FEAR is pretty grand-scale with a whole city in ruins and all.

Nah, I like old age games more. Like Call Of Cthulhu. It's not medieval, but it was awesome. Oh and I think that FEAR was a bit lame, but we all have our own taste in games. That's why I never read game reviews, I only trust myself Big Grin

Meh...
01-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13

Maybe a sci-fi game after Amnesia? I would love to play one!
01-22-2010, 04:28 AM
Find
Akong Offline

Threads: 1

I think a modern setting would be the easiest setting to make a horror game in, that's not to say it would be the best.

Modern settings are scarier because you don't expect monsters. Almost every medieval setting features monsters, because the medieval times are basically copyright of Dungeons & Dragons/Tolkien type media.

Sci-fi games can be extremely scary, though, as evidenced by System Shock, which is still lauded as one of the finest horror/shooter games of all time.

I'm very much looking forward to Amnesia's setting, being something that isn't often used in games (To my knowledge) and could pose an interesting challenge for the team.
02-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Find