Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

I Enjoyed The Penumbra Series More Than Amnesia
Koopa Rs07 Offline

Threads: 30
I Enjoyed The Penumbra Series More Than Amnesia

Does anyone else have the same opinion? I really did enjoy the Penumbra Series more than Amnesia - The Dark Descent. Maybe it was because it's longer, or the music, or the well made puzzles, or the story, or how it feels a lot more personal, knowing that this game takes place in our modern day civilization. I just feel like it's more likely that I'll get in Philip's situation than Daniel's. Penumbra - Overture really felt like I was urban exploring. People have explored mines by themselves before, search it up on YouTube. The likely hood of exploring a huge castle seems much less likely. Penumbra - Overture has a true sense of isolation. It felt so much more immersive than Amnesia and Soma because I guess it feels more personal. Penumbra's immersion and the way it makes you feel makes up for it's graphics. And there's something else about these games that I can't just think of what it is.. There's something else that makes these games so special and I can't seem to bring it to the top of my head.

Tell me what you think and if you agree.

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2015, 04:06 PM by Koopa Rs07.)
10-29-2015, 03:58 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: I Enjoyed The Penumbra Series More Than Amnesia

I never actually got through the first penumbra at all, the games setting and plot just didn't catch me at all, it wasn't untill ATDD that I actually got into frictionals games.
10-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

(10-29-2015, 04:42 PM)Traggey Wrote: I never actually got through the first penumbra at all, the games setting and plot just didn't catch me at all, it wasn't untill ATDD that I actually got into frictionals games.
Hey, that's your opinion. Big Grin

10-29-2015, 04:58 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

(10-29-2015, 04:58 PM)Koopa Rs07 Wrote:
(10-29-2015, 04:42 PM)Traggey Wrote: I never actually got through the first penumbra at all, the games setting and plot just didn't catch me at all, it wasn't untill ATDD that I actually got into frictionals games.
Hey, that's your opinion. Big Grin

Yes it is, he asked for opinions.

Good post.
10-30-2015, 02:16 AM
Find
SlackerinDeNile Offline

Threads: 7

Penumbra: Ot and BP feature some of the best atmosphere i've ever seen in survival horror games, the first has such a cool sense of isolation and entrapment and is a joy to explore. The second is just creepy as hell and downright terrifying in parts. Do I like them better than Amnesia? I don't know, probably not, Amnesia felt like a better step in the right direction for Frictional but I look forward to their next project, as long as they take on the criticism for SOMA on both the story and gameplay.
11-09-2015, 11:35 PM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

(11-09-2015, 11:35 PM)SlackerinDeNile Wrote: Penumbra: Ot and BP feature some of the best atmosphere i've ever seen in survival horror games, the first has such a cool sense of isolation and entrapment and is a joy to explore. The second is just creepy as hell and downright terrifying in parts. Do I like them better than Amnesia? I don't know, probably not, Amnesia felt like a better step in the right direction for Frictional but I look forward to their next project, as long as they take on the criticism for SOMA on both the story and gameplay.
I don't mean to say that Penumbra was better than Amnesia, but I just had a better and more fun experience with the Penumbra games. Frictional Games did indeed take a big step with Amnesia!

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2015, 01:36 AM by Koopa Rs07.)
11-10-2015, 01:27 AM
Find
HunchbackEnt Offline

Threads: 1

I couldn't agree more! Penumbra (all of them, it feels like one big game to me) is an absolute masterpiece! Not perfect by any means but certainly one of my favorite games of all time. I think Amnesia TDD is pretty good but quite overrated, and I loved Machine for Pigs just as much as Penumbra. As for SOMA, I loved it as well! Really amazing game but my favorites are Penumbra for gameplay (great story too though) and Machine for Pigs for story.
11-24-2015, 02:49 AM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

(11-24-2015, 02:49 AM)HunchbackEnt Wrote: I couldn't agree more! Penumbra (all of them, it feels like one big game to me) is an absolute masterpiece! Not perfect by any means but certainly one of my favorite games of all time. I think Amnesia TDD is pretty good but quite overrated, and I loved Machine for Pigs just as much as Penumbra. As for SOMA, I loved it as well! Really amazing game but my favorites are Penumbra for gameplay (great story too though) and Machine for Pigs for story.
I would say, Amnesia is scarier, but Penumbra was much more satisfying in a sense.

11-24-2015, 11:55 PM
Find
HunchbackEnt Offline

(11-24-2015, 11:55 PM)Koopa Rs07 Wrote:
(11-24-2015, 02:49 AM)HunchbackEnt Wrote: I couldn't agree more! Penumbra (all of them, it feels like one big game to me) is an absolute masterpiece! Not perfect by any means but certainly one of my favorite games of all time. I think Amnesia TDD is pretty good but quite overrated, and I loved Machine for Pigs just as much as Penumbra. As for SOMA, I loved it as well! Really amazing game but my favorites are Penumbra for gameplay (great story too though) and Machine for Pigs for story.
I would say, Amnesia is scarier, but Penumbra was much more satisfying in a sense.

I actually don't think Amnesia TDD was that scary...the atmosphere is amazing but the monsters just show up and leave, in Penumbra you have to find a way to get by them.
11-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Find
Xenomorph Offline

I loved Black Plague, probably my favorite entry in all the frictional games. Amnesia is very good though and is solid all around
01-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Find