Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra (Requiem) Ending General Discussion
BAndrew Offline

Threads: 23
Penumbra (Requiem) Ending General Discussion

I have a question about Penumbra ending and generally about it's story. I didn't find any thread abou this so I created this one.

My question is:

What's happening in the Requiem ending?

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

[Image: k2g44ae]

03-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Find
clumzy sergeon Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Penumbra (Requiem) Ending General Discussion

What I got from the ending was this: Philip was knocked out by someone. While knocked out, Philip was in a sort of "half place" as the crazed Dr. (who's name escapes me right now) would describe it. Philip either dies like he feels he deserves to for killing Red, or (if you collect all the trophies hidden) will wake up. I'd say that Philip's death is canin, it fits well as the end to such a dark game.
04-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Find
BAndrew Offline

(04-13-2010, 11:25 PM)clumzy sergeon Wrote: What I got from the ending was this: Philip was knocked out by someone. While knocked out, Philip was in a sort of "half place" as the crazed Dr. (who's name escapes me right now) would describe it. Philip either dies like he feels he deserves to for killing Red, or (if you collect all the trophies hidden) will wake up. I'd say that Philip's death is canin, it fits well as the end to such a dark game.

Thank you for the Info Big Grin but I have a question Huh. If you collect all the artifacts (whatever these things are) at the end he wakes up in the boat he travelled to Greenland. This leaves a lot of questions like how he was "teleported/transfered" in that ship??? HuhHuh

•I have found the answer to the universe and everything, but this sign is too small to contain it.

04-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Find
clumzy sergeon Offline

He might have gotten on the ship the same way he has been moving through the Shelter (by using the teloporters). Most likely he is now stuck forever in that "half place", but most people I have chatted with believe he is alive and going home. I think the devs added that for fun or to lighten up the ending, giving the player a choice. Either way, it makes me question if Philip's reality is as it seems.
04-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Find
BAndrew Offline

(04-14-2010, 11:46 PM)clumzy sergeon Wrote: He might have gotten on the ship the same way he has been moving through the Shelter (by using the teloporters). Most likely he is now stuck forever in that "half place", but most people I have chatted with believe he is alive and going home. I think the devs added that for fun or to lighten up the ending, giving the player a choice. Either way, it makes me question if Philip's reality is as it seems.

Could the friend he sent the e-mail have saved him? Why not?? His dream (whatever you call it) could have last many hours and he finally wakes up in a ship to his home.... Anyway ....

04-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Spoiler below!
But a friend with the power to "kill them all" would probably have a boat that is higher in caliber than the small fishing boat on which he arrived.

"Better to have a story and end it than never to realize it has begun," or something like that is what Red said before you had the choice to either burn yourself with him (end your story, presumably) or leave (as if waking up from a dream, never realizing it was real, if it even was at all).

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
04-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Website Find
lukkas Offline

(04-14-2010, 01:35 PM)BAndrew Wrote: If you collect all the artifacts (whatever these things are) at the end he wakes up in the boat he travelled to Greenland.

Just to clarify, the artefacts don't seem to have anything to do with the ending. I only found 2/9 artefacts in Requiem (yeah, I suck that badly), and I still had the option to turn and leave, ending up on the ship.

I don't think Philip survives if you turn away. As far as I can tell, it's all sort of a "light at the end of the tunnel" sort of trip. I can't imagine the Overmind allowing Philip to escape, after telling someone about the facility. And throughout both games, Philip constantly foreshadowed his own death. "The last time I would see civilisation", "the last flight I would ever take", etc. Not to mention, when you're in the boat, it's that crazy mental-hurdle boat, with that recursion picture, like in Black Plague, not the boat from Overture.

I think if you don't choose to join Red, it's more like Philip doesn't accept his own death and is perpetually "lost at sea" so to speak. It's just a nicer, though less concrete ending than jumping into an incinerator. (But then, who presses the button? OH NOE.)
05-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(05-08-2010, 03:19 PM)lukkas Wrote: Just to clarify, the artefacts don't seem to have anything to do with the ending. I only found 2/9 artefacts in Requiem (yeah, I suck that badly), and I still had the option to turn and leave, ending up on the ship.

Yes, but if you collect all of them, you get something little extra. Same thing works with Black Plague's artifacts.

05-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Website Find
lukkas Offline

(05-08-2010, 04:26 PM)Scraper Wrote:
(05-08-2010, 03:19 PM)lukkas Wrote: Just to clarify, the artefacts don't seem to have anything to do with the ending. I only found 2/9 artefacts in Requiem (yeah, I suck that badly), and I still had the option to turn and leave, ending up on the ship.

Yes, but if you collect all of them, you get something little extra. Same thing works with Black Plague's artifacts.

Oooooh... Guess who has two games to play through again? Big Grin
05-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(05-08-2010, 04:29 PM)lukkas Wrote:
(05-08-2010, 04:26 PM)Scraper Wrote:

Oooooh... Guess who has two games to play through again? Big Grin

Good to hear. Wink
But don't expect too much, OK?

05-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Website Find