Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

crashes, patch won't instal
zakmazeng Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago crashes, patch won't instal

hello,
I just got overture with the humble indie thing but am having problems playing.
it crashes when going through the first door or hatch and totally locks up the computer.
I downloaded the patch but it won't install, giving the error:lua error detected: config?run.lua34: unexpected symbol near '}'
so.... help please.

MacPro3,1
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2,8 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
osx 10.6.3
6 gig ram

eddie
05-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: crashes, patch won't instal

You do not need the patch as the humble indie is already up-to-date.

Can you go to home directory/Preferences/Frictional Games/Penumbra and take the hpl.log, zip it and post it here please.
05-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Website Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

It totally locked up the computer??? That's strange. it should NEVER do that... did you try "command tabbing" out of the game? Also can you run the "console" application on your mac (in Applications/Utilities) and see if there are any User Diagnostic reports for Penumbra Overture?

And definitely zip up the hpl.log from the Library/Preferences/Frictional Games/Penumbra folder, and the saved game files as well and I'll see if I can recreate it on my system.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
05-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Website Find
zakmazeng Offline

(05-05-2010, 01:26 PM)jens Wrote: You do not need the patch as the humble indie is already up-to-date.

Can you go to home directory/Preferences/Frictional Games/Penumbra and take the hpl.log, zip it and post it here please.

Hi Jens, thanks for the quick reply. I thought the updater would update to 1.1 and my version is 1.0.3013.
but here is the hpl.log
(05-05-2010, 06:26 PM)Urkle Wrote: It totally locked up the computer??? That's strange. it should NEVER do that... did you try "command tabbing" out of the game? Also can you run the "console" application on your mac (in Applications/Utilities) and see if there are any User Diagnostic reports for Penumbra Overture?

And definitely zip up the hpl.log from the Library/Preferences/Frictional Games/Penumbra folder, and the saved game files as well and I'll see if I can recreate it on my system.

Hi Urkle,
no, I couldn't command-tab out of it. no force quit either although I did get a cursor-arrow I could move around but nothing else happend. the sound goes on for a while before it locks up and I see some graphic gliches on a black screen. very strange, is my graphic card a problem?.
I only have one auto save since I can't get far in the game.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2010, 06:43 PM by zakmazeng.)
05-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

one thing to check is to edit the settings.cfg file that is in the Library/PReferences/Frictional Games/Penumbra folder and change the fullscreen="true" to fullscreen="false" and try then.. Oh, also, what resolution where you running the game @?

05-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Website Find
zakmazeng Offline

(05-07-2010, 02:43 PM)Urkle Wrote: one thing to check is to edit the settings.cfg file that is in the Library/PReferences/Frictional Games/Penumbra folder and change the fullscreen="true" to fullscreen="false" and try then.. Oh, also, what resolution where you running the game @?

I didn't have a settings.cfg but I changed it in the default settings in the game folder. I used 800x600. I did try to change it before but it didn't stick then. (now I do have one dated today)
In windowed mode the game crashes immediately after loading the level, with red blocks in the image, and I have to quit the computer with the power button because it locks up (the sound goes on though). I tried if I could make a screen shot but the computer doesn't respond to anything.
also the mouse cursor behaves very strange in the window; I can only use a small part of the window and then I see the cursor outside of the game window onto the desktop.
if I look at the about I see version number 1.0.3013 and not 1.1.

very strange behaviour, I would think a 2008 macpro should be good enough to run this game.
05-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

the version numbering is my fault.. "1.1" is what the windows release is.. but I forgot to fix the numbering in the linux and mac builds.. so 1.0.3013 == 1.1.

And honestly it sounds like some issue with your hardware as it should NOT crash your system ever.. And recall I'm testing and building this on a 2006 Mac Pro running snow leopard 10.6.3.

Have you tried re-installing the game? And do you have any other games you can test on? and do you have all the latest patches from apple installed.. (that's one thing I haven't tested.. I have not yet installed the latest security patch from apple.. as I don't want to reboot :-D )
I also would think about having the system 'checked" by apple if you are under apple-care coverage. or maybe give the system a good dusting.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2010, 08:24 PM by Urkle.)
05-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Website Find
zakmazeng Offline

(05-07-2010, 08:23 PM)Urkle Wrote: the version numbering is my fault.. "1.1" is what the windows release is.. but I forgot to fix the numbering in the linux and mac builds.. so 1.0.3013 == 1.1.

And honestly it sounds like some issue with your hardware as it should NOT crash your system ever.. And recall I'm testing and building this on a 2006 Mac Pro running snow leopard 10.6.3.

Have you tried re-installing the game? And do you have any other games you can test on? and do you have all the latest patches from apple installed.. (that's one thing I haven't tested.. I have not yet installed the latest security patch from apple.. as I don't want to reboot :-D )
I also would think about having the system 'checked" by apple if you are under apple-care coverage. or maybe give the system a good dusting.

I was thinking the same, because otherwise there should be more reports about this. (dusting wasn't a bad idea but I did that recently, and it was necessary at the time)
I did re-download the game and started fresh.
A hardware test didn't come up with anything and I haven't seen this with other games I played. all the other ones from the bundle work fine and games I played under bootcamp had no problems either.
I do a lot of work that stresses the graphic card and memory and had no problems there either.
so I guess I just have to leave this game alone. too bad because it looks like a nice game.
05-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Find
zakmazeng Offline

(05-08-2010, 08:31 AM)zakmazeng Wrote:
(05-07-2010, 08:23 PM)Urkle Wrote: the version numbering is my fault.. "1.1" is what the windows release is.. but I forgot to fix the numbering in the linux and mac builds.. so 1.0.3013 == 1.1.

I couldn't give up just yet so I tried again. after going into the mine the game immediately locks up. I tried to quit and I got a spinning beachball. this time I waited and after several minutes the game quitted and left me with a distorted finder. restarting the finder and everything was back to normal. so it didn't really lock up the computer.
looking at the hpl log I gor these error messages that it couldn't find stuff:

Game Running
--------------------------------------------------------
Loading collada for 'maps/level01_01_outside.dae' took: 132 ms
CG: 'Fog_Trans_vp.cg' using profile: 'vp40'
CG: 'Fog_Trans_Alpha_fp.cg' using profile: 'fp40'
ERROR: Couldn't create SoundEntity 'unbreak_impact_snow_med.snt'
WARNING: Couldn't preload sound 'unbreak_impact_snow_med'
CG: 'Fog_Trans_Mod_fp.cg' using profile: 'fp40'
WARNING: Could not find language file category ''
Loading collada for 'maps/level01_02_mine_entrance.dae' took: 248 ms
CG: 'Fog_Trans_Mod_fp.cg' using profile: 'fp40'
ERROR: Couldn't find particle system file 'particle_dust.ps'
ERROR: Couldn't create particle system 'sust01' of type 'particle_dust'
ERROR: Couldn't find particle system file 'dust_sust01.ps'
ERROR: Couldn't create particle system 'particle' of type 'dust_sust01'
ERROR: Couldn't load particle system 'particle' with type 'dust_sust01'
Loading map 'level01_02_mine_entrance.dae' took: 1921 ms

so maybe that is the problem?
I attached a photo of the screen when the game locked up. it certainly looks like some kind of graphic problem to me but I don't know what to make of it.
05-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

So, you tried penumbra in windows anid it works fine on at box? ( my Mac pro dual boots into Linux only and the drivers in linux are much better than the ones on os x)
Have you tried lowing the shader quality and seeing if the game crashes?

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2010, 03:43 PM by Urkle.)
05-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Website Find