Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Complete Games
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Complete Games

(05-22-2010, 05:48 PM)AdrenalineJunky Wrote: dude, that is absolutely amazing....

i'm so buying a wiimote when you get all the kinks worked out....

Remember, you'll need a bluetooth dongle and some infrared LEDs too.

[Image: 16455.png]
05-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Find
Sonic Crackpot Offline

Threads: 0

(05-14-2010, 11:07 PM)Scraper Wrote: Since HPL1 Engine is now Open Source... Hopefully there's something interesting in the future, that we all can try.

If so, you can post links to your own creations or the ones you've found around the internet, into this thread.

I'm curious to know wether we're allowed to publish any games that we create using HPL to the public for sale. Me and a friend of mine are working on our own horror game that's heavily inspired by Penumbra. We were going to collaborate with a programmer to create our own engine, but we noticed that you've made HPL open source and we wanted to make sure that we checked everything before we did anything commercial.
06-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Find
Argoon Offline

Threads: 5

(06-13-2010, 04:05 PM)Sonic Crackpot Wrote:
(05-14-2010, 11:07 PM)Scraper Wrote: Since HPL1 Engine is now Open Source... Hopefully there's something interesting in the future, that we all can try.

If so, you can post links to your own creations or the ones you've found around the internet, into this thread.

I'm curious to know wether we're allowed to publish any games that we create using HPL to the public for sale. Me and a friend of mine are working on our own horror game that's heavily inspired by Penumbra. We were going to collaborate with a programmer to create our own engine, but we noticed that you've made HPL open source and we wanted to make sure that we checked everything before we did anything commercial.

Yes GPL does permit commercial venue but you have to release to the public any modification or patch that you make to the GPL protected code, in the case of the HLP1 engine any modification that you do to it, but just solo the engine code, your game code (scripting) or assets don't need to be released.

Theres the case of Runic Games that made a commercial game ( Torchlight) using Ogre also a GPL engine and add very success.
06-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

(06-16-2010, 05:21 PM)Argoon Wrote:
(06-13-2010, 04:05 PM)Sonic Crackpot Wrote:

Yes GPL does permit commercial venue but you have to release to the public any modification or patch that you make to the GPL protected code, in the case of the HLP1 engine any modification that you do to it, but just solo the engine code, your game code (scripting) or assets don't need to be released.

Theres the case of Runic Games that made a commercial game ( Torchlight) using Ogre also a GPL engine and add very success.

That note quite correct, but close. ogre 3d is actually an MIT licensed engine, which is more like the BSD or zlib license. The GPL license of the HPL1 engine requires that the game code be open source as well. Now your Game assets and game scripts ( ie level scripts and Shaders) are not affected by this.. And those can be sold commercially.

Now if someone wants to make an HPL1 derived game and does not wish to release the source code, they can contact Thomas and request a license to do so.. This is exactly how Id Software licenses their old engines. You can make a quake 3 ( Id tech 3 engine) game as long as it is open source. If you want to release it without the source, then you. Have to request a license from Id software.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
06-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Website Find