Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

2010-06 Tuesday 22nd, Disturbing details regarding the release of "Amnesia: The Dark
Linuxuser Offline

Threads: 0
RE: 2010-06 Tuesday 22nd, Disturbing details regarding the release of "Amnesia: The Dark

(06-26-2010, 04:47 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Yes I hope there will be no copy protection too.
I hate it to insert the disc all the time.
Penumbra has actually no protection and that is good.

But I hope more, the game will be avaiable on http://www.amazon.de for purchase without credit-card or sth. I want to pay on accounting.
If it only costs 15 Euro, then I will directly order two exemplares of the game.

Having the disc in the drive is something I can live with, but online activation is just a no-go for me.

Yes, it'd be nice to puchase the game on Amazon.de.

(06-26-2010, 05:49 PM)SHODANFreeman Wrote: You know you could buy the digital version on Frictional's store and burn the installer to a CD and just keep your serial code with it, right? I am pretty sure they just use offline serial key activation, unless the Linux version is drastically different from their Windows version for some reason.

Yes, I know, but I hate that. I don't want to burn my own disc. Downloading a game and then burning it on a disc yourself and then take a CD marker and write down "Amnesia" on that disc doesn't feel good. In my opinion it just feels like I've downloaded and burnt an illegal version. When I show someone my game, he can't see it's a game a legally purchased.

I just want a nice retail version, with a nice manual which smells like a manual of a newly puchased game. I can put this retail version on the shelf next to the other games and everyone can immediately see it's a legally purchased game. No one will ever doubt if it's a genuine version or not.
06-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12
RE: 2010-06 Tuesday 22nd, Disturbing details regarding the release of "Amnesia: The Dark

(06-26-2010, 07:47 PM)Linuxuser Wrote: Yes, I know, but I hate that. I don't want to burn my own disc. Downloading a game and then burning it on a disc yourself and then take a CD marker and write down "Amnesia" on that disc doesn't feel good. In my opinion it just feels like I've downloaded and burnt an illegal version. When I show someone my game, he can't see it's a game a legally purchased.

I just want a nice retail version, with a nice manual which smells like a manual of a newly puchased game. I can put this retail version on the shelf next to the other games and everyone can immediately see it's a legally purchased game. No one will ever doubt if it's a genuine version or not.

Amen brotha', amen.

06-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

@Linuxuser

Hehe everybody can see your original retail dvd but it can be stolenBig Grin.
And then its not legal version.
No but you have right! I want buy all games I like.
I must have it as retail-dvd.
06-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Find
zak Offline

Threads: 4

Hello german fellow users (and others Wink ),

I really like a nice packaging with cover and manual and original pressed DVD the same as you do. But I think developers usually have to make deals with publishers to get their game boxed and sold in shops like amazon.* This rises the price and I don't know what else the developers have to do to keep the publisher happy.

Apart from that I really hate these new "nice" logos on front covers of games and movies and telling people how dangerous the item is for people below a certain age.

The price at the frictionalgames-store is very good and I know, that all the money goes directly to the right place, therefore I accept this and already preordered :-)

But I would appreciate if there will be printable (i.e. hi-res) covers, so you could create your own boxed version :-)

Thanks.
06-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

I imagine it's pretty rare for most games to get native Linux ports, much less retail releases.
06-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Find
MassacrMan Offline

Threads: 3

Just a quick question about the video, it seemed that the way you opened and closed doors was to just click it and the door opened/closed itself. Was that the case or did you just close the door really fast (your mouse didn't follow the door closing's movement)?

I ask because I thought this game will have an updated version of the Penumbra engine that used the whole physics deal.
06-28-2010, 01:37 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

The door system is a lot lighter than Penumbra's. From what I understand, it completely follows your mouse speed. You can move it slowly and it will still move the door stealthily.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
06-28-2010, 02:14 AM
Website Find
MassacrMan Offline

Threads: 3

Okay, but you still use mouse movement to open doors and such. Not just point and click?
06-28-2010, 05:29 AM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

(06-28-2010, 05:29 AM)MassacrMan Wrote: Okay, but you still use mouse movement to open doors and such. Not just point and click?

I think the only thing that they changed is making it so the position you grab on the door doesn't affect the physics of opening and closing it, and that right clicking to fling the door open won't have the door just bounce right back in your face. I may be wrong, though.
06-28-2010, 07:04 AM
Find
CaseySmith Offline

Threads: 0

I really like the art on the DVD box - can't wait till it's out. :>
07-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Find