Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

3DS Max Anyone?
PerfectBlue Offline

Threads: 12
3DS Max Anyone?

Since games are my passion, I am slowly trying to acquire the skills to make my own. Anyways I just started learning 3DS max, and here is what I created with some help from a tutorial, a low polygon retro TV game asset. Still need to model the antenna, but not sure how to approach that quite yet. If I can improve enough by the time Amnesia releases, I would love to work on a mod project, or if anyone would like to help me to improve (e.g. pointers over steam) that would be even better.

[Image: tv5.png]

Hope I can continue to learn quickly.
07-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: 3DS Max Anyone?

I was modelling quite a lot a year ago, so I can give you some pointers:

1. Your edge flow seem to cut of at places, see picture. Since I'm used to work with very low poly models, I'm extremely prissy when it comes to edge flow and edge loops.

2. This is a case of preference but here goes: modeling different parts of an object separately and them combining them might work in some occasions but it's really not something you want to continue doing, especially if you are going to animate the object. Since the vertices are not COMPLETELY connected, you might end up with ripping off parts of the model during the animation process.

3. Since you are going to use this for games, try lowering the poly count (which is essentially the number of faces) for a more efficient model. Like the volume/channel control panel, you could use bump mapping to create the desired details, same goes with the speaker.

[Image: tv5feed.jpg]

Just my pointers, keep up the good work, you are great! ^^

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
07-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Find
PerfectBlue Offline

Thanks for the pointers nackidno. Regarding edge flow, yes geometry has been difficult for me to keep clean so far. I figure I will figure out clean geometry after enough experience.

As for combining different objects and then attaching them, thats the only way I could initially figure out how to make the different parts of the TV e.g. control panel. Looking at it now though, I think I could simply create the shape of the control panel with edges and verticies, then I could extrude,inset etc to get the shape im looking for and it would still be part of the original geometry.

Just took a shot at the antenna and added a few more details as well.
[Image: tv62.png]
07-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

The grill can be better done via normal maps, because the player isn't going to be getting a good perspective look at them.
Dials could also go with normal map

The dial-box (to the right of the screen)'s corners are a bit too smooth if they're in a game. Most of the time (especially on such a small object) you can get away with a single flat piece going 45*

The screen could be higher resolution, or at least not as accented

I'm hoping that name is a texture :p

Overall, very good model. Personally I would have done..
Kept the stand a different object ; not created from the actual tube.
The screen also separate from the tube. By this I mean the tube doesn't form into the screen, rather the screen using a boolean to dig into it.

Aside from that, it's a great starting point. Looks well thought out. When you're done with the polygons than you get to unwrap the UV and texture it.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
07-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Find
PerfectBlue Offline

Thanks windexglow, I will refer back to this post later tonight when I add additional detail and model it.

As for using normal maps for detail, im aware of this but at this point in time I am just focusing on modeling and not relying on normal maps or UVM wrapping anything. That way I can learn to model what I see, later on I can use the two together.
07-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Find