Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Simply cannot export compatible models from Blender 2.74
sycon senti Offline

Threads: 4
Simply cannot export compatible models from Blender 2.74

I've tried everything. I've made sure all of my models are constructed from triangular polygons, exporting a simple sphere, editing an actual in game model and even just importing a model from the game into Blender and exporting it to a separate folder without editing a thing. Yet every time I get this error:

FATAL ERROR: Created material 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/entities/folder/model/' could not be loaded!

I'm guessing this means none of the models that have been run through Blender are compatible, but I don;t know why this could be as sometimes I haven't even edited them.

Thanks is advance for your help.
12-27-2015, 11:41 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
RE: Simply cannot export compatible models from Blender 2.74

12-28-2015, 01:59 AM
Find
sycon senti Offline

(12-28-2015, 01:59 AM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote:

I did everything this video told me to do but I'm still getting the same error.
12-28-2015, 05:54 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19

I make my models in Blender and export them into Amnesia: The Dark Descent just fine.
There are some things that absolutely have to be right in order to work properly.

The model itself
- For the smoothest results, make sure you have the model opened and nothing else in the scene. While it's possible to export only selection, I would advice you to delete everything else apart from your model. Things like "camera", "light" or even "box" if it's there from the startup file.

- The optimal way is to have ONE mesh for the model and ONE UV texture applied to the model. (make sure to create a material in materials tab and add a image texture in the texture tab) --- Having more meshes with different textures is possible, although can be achieved by exporting the two models separately.

- If your model has armatures, it is crucial you make it work in blender before exporting.

- You don't need to have triangular geometry ON THE MODEL ITSELF, just make sure you export it to COLLADA (.dae) and check "Triangulate" in the export options. That is the only requirement, if you previously checked some other options you need to set it to default first by restarting Blender.

AFTER EXPORT
- You have to put it in the Amnesia directory, either Static_objects or Entities

- Then you need to open it in the MODEL VIEWER before using it. Viewing will generate other required files.

- If it's a static_object it will be accessible in Level Editor as long as it's been viewed and is in the static_objects folder or any subfolder.

- Entities need to be edited with Model Editor and need body.
12-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Find
sycon senti Offline

(12-28-2015, 06:56 PM)Spelos Wrote: I make my models in Blender and export them into Amnesia: The Dark Descent just fine.
There are some things that absolutely have to be right in order to work properly.

The model itself
- For the smoothest results, make sure you have the model opened and nothing else in the scene. While it's possible to export only selection, I would advice you to delete everything else apart from your model. Things like "camera", "light" or even "box" if it's there from the startup file.

- The optimal way is to have ONE mesh for the model and ONE UV texture applied to the model. (make sure to create a material in materials tab and add a image texture in the texture tab) --- Having more meshes with different textures is possible, although can be achieved by exporting the two models separately.

- If your model has armatures, it is crucial you make it work in blender before exporting.

- You don't need to have triangular geometry ON THE MODEL ITSELF, just make sure you export it to COLLADA (.dae) and check "Triangulate" in the export options. That is the only requirement, if you previously checked some other options you need to set it to default first by restarting Blender.

AFTER EXPORT
- You have to put it in the Amnesia directory, either Static_objects or Entities

- Then you need to open it in the MODEL VIEWER before using it. Viewing will generate other required files.

- If it's a static_object it will be accessible in Level Editor as long as it's been viewed and is in the static_objects folder or any subfolder.

- Entities need to be edited with Model Editor and need body.

I've tried everything you said, but I'm still having the same problem. I have managed to export a cube to amnesia but anything more still crashes the program.
12-28-2015, 11:09 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Ok, so the message that appears is:
FATAL ERROR: Created material 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/entities/folder/model/' could not be loaded!

I think it is safe to assume that there's something wrong with your texture/material.
Common mistakes in this category are:
- More than one texture or none applied.
- Texture is in weird format (I use .tga for all of my textures)
- Texture is not included with the model in Amnesia dir
- Texture has weird dimensions (I use 1024x1024 or 2048x2048, 512x512 migt do as well... To be safe make sure your texture is divisible by 2)

What you can do to provide more information for diagnostics:
- Where does the error happen? In level editor? Model View? In Game?
- Make a screenshot of the files you are exporting
- Make a screenshot of the Blender environment with the model

Your best bet would be to make sure you haven't done any of the common mistakes mentioned above. If you problem is still happening, send more information.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015, 09:39 AM by Spelos.)
12-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Find
sycon senti Offline

(12-29-2015, 09:35 AM)Spelos Wrote: Ok, so the message that appears is:

I think it is safe to assume that there's something wrong with your texture/material.
Common mistakes in this category are:
- More than one texture or none applied.
- Texture is in weird format (I use .tga for all of my textures)
- Texture is not included with the model in Amnesia dir
- Texture has weird dimensions (I use 1024x1024 or 2048x2048, 512x512 migt do as well... To be safe make sure your texture is divisible by 2)

What you can do to provide more information for diagnostics:
- Where does the error happen? In level editor? Model View? In Game?
- Make a screenshot of the files you are exporting
- Make a screenshot of the Blender environment with the model

Your best bet would be to make sure you haven't done any of the common mistakes mentioned above. If you problem is still happening, send more information.

well, so far I've managed to actually export models twice, but both had undesired effects. The first is my fault so we'll ignore that, the second the texture simply did not show up and the model was coloured a bright magenta. I usually use the .dds filetype for textures but the example I included uses a .jpg

The error appeared when I try to view the model in the model viewer.

it seems every time I export a model in an attempt to screenshot the error it works.
Here's a link to an album containing some screenshots
http://imgur.com/a/GRYJg

One more rather humorous bug is all models I manage to export are upside down for some reason.
12-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

From the last screenshot it appears that you are most likely painting the texture on the model. That's purely Blender feature (as well as some other programs) and you would need to unwrap the model and apply the correct texture first.

It needs to be unwrapped... and UV textured.

See this tutorial for more information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tovu1A0LxeQ

As far as the flip problem... you need to select the model (in OBJECT MODE) in blender and hit CTRL + A and then "Location", "Rotation" as well as "Scale"... you can pretty much click on all of them just to be sure. Then you export the model.

And For The Love of Christmas Spirit, please don't texture in .jpgs, sure it works, but .tga is small enough and supports transparency (alpha channel).

EDIT:
Also... It would work your way... But in blender your selected texture is grass.PNG and you have grass.JPG in your files... It's a totally different file if it's in another format.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015, 08:28 PM by Spelos.)
12-29-2015, 08:26 PM
Find
sycon senti Offline

(12-29-2015, 08:26 PM)Spelos Wrote: From the last screenshot it appears that you are most likely painting the texture on the model. That's purely Blender feature (as well as some other programs) and you would need to unwrap the model and apply the correct texture first.

It needs to be unwrapped... and UV textured.

See this tutorial for more information:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tovu1A0LxeQ

As far as the flip problem... you need to select the model (in OBJECT MODE) in blender and hit CTRL + A and then "Location", "Rotation" as well as "Scale"... you can pretty much click on all of them just to be sure. Then you export the model.

And For The Love of Christmas Spirit, please don't texture in .jpgs, sure it works, but .tga is small enough and supports transparency (alpha channel).

EDIT:
Also... It would work your way... But in blender your selected texture is grass.PNG and you have grass.JPG in your files... It's a totally different file if it's in another format.

Okay, sure thing. I was only using the jpeg as a test as it was the first picture I clicked on. The painting is a leftover from the other file that I imported the model I was using from. However I think that I have finally figured it all out. For the png jpg thing I guess I forgot to change it. Anyway I'll keep trying to export while attempting to remember all of the things I need to do to get it right. Thanks for your help!
12-29-2015, 09:31 PM
Find