Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

PointLight2D?
Synecdoche Offline

Threads: 1
PointLight2D?

I compiled everything and the game starts up, but crashes with the error "couldn't load PointLight2D." I ran a search and a PointLight2D.bmp came up in my assets\core\textures folder.

I also found this:

mpLightMap[0] = mpResources->GetTextureManager()->Create2D("PointLight2D.bmp",false);

if(mpLightMap[0] == NULL)FatalError("Couldn't load PointLight2D");

and I found these two lines in here C:\Program Files (x86)\Penumbra Overture\redist\FrictionalGames-HPL1Engine-ba1b02b\sources\graphics\Renderer2D.cpp

If anyone could help me figure out how to fix this that would be great.
07-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
RE: PointLight2D?

Basic Engine flow (with respect to resource locations)
You create then engine and then add search paths (from the resources.cfg)
when a resource is requested (ie.. via that Create2D call) the resource manager is queried to locate that asset.

Since all of the resource paths are provided to the engine as "Relative", the working directory of the program MUST be in the same directory. So if you are running one of the tests in the hpl1engine, they must be run from the "assets" folder to be able to locate the resources.

Now, for running the Penumbra Overture game, you need to run the executable within the redist folder from a purchased copy of Penumbra Overture. This is because the assets provided in the HPL1Engine are only the common and sample assets used by the opensourced engine directly (licensed under the CC license).

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Website Find
Synecdoche Offline

Got it working. Awesome! Thanks!
07-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Find
Steffano Offline

Hi, i have the same problem but I dont really get exactly what that reply means.
02-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Find