Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[split] Graphics Compatibility App - Mac black window
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
[split] Graphics Compatibility App - Mac black window

(08-04-2010, 10:54 AM)danw Wrote: When running the app on my mac, the app only shows a blank window - no images are shown while the app is open, but they are apparently saved to the output folder. I'm pretty sure this isn't correct behavior?

The images in the output folder seem to match up fine but with an unusually low average FPS of 26 (the fullscreen fog screenshot had 2 FPS, for example). In comparison, I can run games like HL2 Ep2 on all high at ~50 FPS.

I'll update this post when I try this out in my bootcamp XP partition, which usually gets somewhat better performance than Mac OS X. That should tell me whether my hardware just isn't good enough (which I doubt) or whether it's just a Mac OS X thing (more likely)

2006 Mac Pro
Mac OS 10.6.4
2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

That is really strange.. Looks like you have the "slightly faster" macpro than I have.. (2.0 GHz 2006 mac pro here). I would suggest rebooting your entire Mac and try running the test again. I have had that occur on my machine where it won't render things in windowed mode (even for HL2 ep2), where full screen mode will work fine. The "fix" was to "move" the window. (which is hard to do in the this test as the mouse is grabbed). But try rebooting first and see if that fixes the issue.
(08-04-2010, 01:08 PM)zevv Wrote: Not sure if this is still relevant, it seems the crashs only occures when pulseaudio daemon is not running. I just edited my original post with the new results, which are just fine.

If you are still interested, let me know.

Ahh.. this probably means that your distribution openal or alsa libs are crashing when they can't find pulse audio. Making sure you have the latest version of openal-soft's openal driver would probably help that. (I hate pulse audio)

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2010, 02:12 PM by Urkle.)
08-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Website Find