Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[solved]Penumbra: Overture - Segfault near the end
DTS Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago [solved]Penumbra: Overture - Segfault near the end

I'm having a segfault on Penumbra: Overture (v1.1 - binary 1.0.3013) when using the crowbar on the door near the end (after you incinerate Red).

It fails with:

./penumbra.bin: ./lib/libCgGL.so: no version information available (required by ./penumbra.bin)
./penumbra.bin: ./lib/libCg.so: no version information available (required by ./penumbra.bin)
Segmentation fault
Penumbra: Overture exited unexpectedly, please check
/home/ds/.frictionalgames/Penumbra/Overture/hpl.log
for any error messages
Also try running
ulimit -c unlimited
And re-running Penumbra and try and recreate the error
then submit the generated core file or stack trace

I can't see any core dump. The platform is Ubuntu 10.04 x64. Any ideas?
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2010, 09:19 PM by Urkle.)
08-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Penumbra: Overture - Segfault near the end

I think it crashes when it tries to write a a file to the game directory, look over so that the permissions for the location of the game allows for it to write files to it. Not sure how that is done on Ubuntu I'm afraid.
08-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Website Find
DTS Offline

Changing the permissions of the entire installation directory structure didn't help ( chmod u+rw -R <install dir> ), however, I remembered that the game was originally installed on a different home directory than the one it currently resides in. At the time I just copied it over from /home/olduser/opt/PenumbraOverture to /home/newuser/opt/PenumbraOverture. Removing the directory and re-installing the game on the new location worked.

Maybe the installation location is somehow hard coded somewhere when it's installed, and in this particular spot in the game it's trying to read/write something in a location that doesn't exist anymore? It's odd because I played through the entire game just fine up until this point.

Anyway, it's solved now, thanks for the pointer!
08-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Find
zak Offline

Threads: 4

(08-22-2010, 02:12 PM)DTS Wrote: Changing the permissions of the entire installation directory structure didn't help ( chmod u+rw -R <install dir> )

Keep in mind, that directories need execute permission (x), too. Probably this was the problem.
08-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Find
DTS Offline

(08-22-2010, 06:29 PM)zak Wrote: Keep in mind, that directories need execute permission (x), too. Probably this was the problem.

I don't believe this was the problem. If any directory lacked the execute permission, the chmod command would have failed with "permission denied" since I specified -R and there would be a directory it wouldn't be able to traverse into.
08-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Find