Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Collection Unzip
markscp24 Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Collection Unzip

First off, nice to meet everyone and thanks for your time in advance.

I recently purchased the Penumbra Collection for windows. Downloaded it from the Frictional Game Store. The download went fine and I then proceeded to go to where it downloaded. The folder was zipped and contained the Penumbra application file and the bin file which was 1,006,601 KB.

The problem starts when I go to extract the two files. Once the extraction is about to be finished, It gets an "Unexpected Error" saying that the bin file cannot be copied. I am unsure what is causing this.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it completely simple? I have tried running the application without extracting the bin file but it asks for the CD location and without the bin file extracted I don't think I can find it. I am running Windows 7 (64Bit) by the way.

Hope someone can help, thanks.

Edit: Additional Info - - 7Zip is telling me that the bin file is broken and will not complete the unzip. I have downloaded the file multiple times and also from the additional source provided, but the file always appears broken. Using the built in windows zip doesn't work either.

-Mark
09-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Collection Unzip

From where did you download the file, from the link in the receipt (that downloads from esellerate) or did you go to shelf.frictionalgames.com to download?

The file size should be 1 031 565 312 bytes and the md5sum 1d149f07d633ea36a3a55577efb8aa3d

Not sure what to suggest, there is nothing wrong with the files themselves, so something specific goes wrong during download/when saved on your computer. Maybe clear the cache of the browser to make sure it really fetches a fresh copy from the server.
09-06-2010, 06:09 AM
Website Find
mtomato Offline

Threads: 0

It could be the case of your browser stopping the download prematurely.

When this happens to me, re-download after clearing browser's cache usually solves the problem.
If it does not, I then use another browser to download the file. (even Internet Explorer if I must)
09-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Find
KavazovAngel Offline

Threads: 13

Don't extract the bin file.

When you download the package from FG's site, extract only the file you download (assuming its a zip/rar file, I can't remember how it was). After that, run the setup, do not try to extract the other file.

It is possible that you have 7zip set up to open .bin files for you, since its are a compression/packaging format or something similar.

I have named the .exe file as Setup.exe and the .bin file as Setup-1.bin. The game installs just fine this way.
09-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Find
markscp24 Offline

Threads: 1

Well, thanks for the help guys! After trying what the first two posters suggested It still did not work, so i mostly gave up.

Came back here just to post and say that I couldn't get it to work but thanks anyways...except I saw Kavazoz's post. After tinkering around with the files I was able to get it to work with his way.

Step 1.) Download the files from the location provided
Step 2.) Keep the folder zipped but extract the .exe OUT of the folder
Step 3.) Run the newly extracted .exe
Step 4.) The .exe will ask for the location of the .bin file, choose the origional zipped folder
Step 5.) Proceed as expected and have fun playing these great games!

There is the order of steps I used with the help of Kavazov's post for anyone else who has the same problem.

I don't know if this Is what you are expected to do, but it seems a bit...less than obvious, at least for people like me. Maybe the files should be set up differently.

-Thanks again guys!
09-08-2010, 04:42 AM
Find
KavazovAngel Offline

(09-08-2010, 04:42 AM)markscp24 Wrote: There is the order of steps I used with the help of Kavazov's post for anyone else who has the same problem.

I don't know if this Is what you are expected to do, but it seems a bit...less than obvious, at least for people like me. Maybe the files should be set up differently.

-Thanks again guys!

Glad to help. Smile

Oh, and I think the reason for this is because 7zip is set to extract bin files too, so when you extract the file you downloaded, you get the exe file and another 7zip-like file (which in reality is the bin file, but shows with a 7zip icon because you have 7zip set to open that kind of files), and that can confuse some people. Wink
09-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Hmm, but that is not the default setting for 7zip? I have 7zip and I do not have to do anything strange like that, I simply unzip the .zip and good to go!

Could it be that it behaves different depending on Windows XP, Vista or 7? What are you using?
09-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Website Find
KavazovAngel Offline

(09-08-2010, 12:48 PM)jens Wrote: Hmm, but that is not the default setting for 7zip? I have 7zip and I do not have to do anything strange like that, I simply unzip the .zip and good to go!

Could it be that it behaves different depending on Windows XP, Vista or 7? What are you using?

Maybe not default, but he could have used the Open With command to open some other bin file with 7zip in the past. Smile
09-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Find