Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

ImageTrail is not a good thing
Unreal Offline

Threads: 9
ImageTrail is not a good thing

Having played Amnesia's demo three times now, I tinkered with the graphic settings (I previously had it completely maxed) and turned off the ImageTrail feature. This made the game look MUCH better. Smoother. More like Penumbra. I think the ImageTrail should be defaulted off. I've seen a lot of people elsewhere on the internet complain that Amnesia looks blurry. This is because of ImageTrail. Not enough people know to turn it off. It's not a major problem. But just as a suggestion, in future Frictional games, please have it defaulted off or removed entirely.
09-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: ImageTrail is not a good thing

Can you upload a photo from both with ImageTrail set to on and off?

09-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

ImageTrail sounds like a name for that fake motion blur. Say, what happened to Penumbra's sexy motion blur anyway?

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Website Find
xvpower Offline

Threads: 1

Hah I just tried turning it off and I agree ImageTrail definitely made the game much less appealing in feel/look. I am now replaying the whole demo without it on.
09-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Find
Unreal Offline

Threads: 9

(09-06-2010, 09:42 PM)Scraper Wrote: Can you upload a photo from both with ImageTrail set to on and off?

It may be difficult to see in only a screenshot. But you can see the huge difference yourself. It's under advanced options in-game. Honestly, I really prefer Penumbra's smooth motion blur over this ImageTrail effect. It makes everything way too blurry.
09-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3

Personally, I think imagetrail is a good thing. It reminds me of the visual disturbances mentioned here:

http://www.pshrink.com/chapman/

Specifically, things like ``Things go too quick for my mind. Everything is too fast and too big for me—too quick to study. Things get blurred and it's like being blind. I can't make them out clearly. It's as if you were seeing one picture one minute and another picture the next. I just stop and watch my feet. If I move, everything alters every minute and I have no control over my legs,'' or ``If somebody moves or speaks, everything I see disappears quickly and I have to put it together again.''

Daniel also seems to have the blocking phenomena down, as well.

I once thought of modifying the HPL engine to incorporate some of these phenomena, to make a character who was literally going insane...but it looks like I don't actually need to modify the engine.

Good work, Frictional!
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Find