Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia - How to mod the paintings ?
RaoulTheCat Offline

Threads: 1
Amnesia - How to mod the paintings ?

Hello guys ! I hope that i'm posting this at the right place Smile
Everything is in the title ! I wanna prank a friend of mine playing this game and change all the paintings ingame. I know i've got to mess around with some .dds files but i want to make it the right way and i want to learn it correctly

Thank you for your answers !
02-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Amnesia - How to mod the paintings ?

I assume you have access to his game files and will be able to overwrite them?
In that case this is probably the easiest solution:

If you dont have photoshop get Gimp, and install the DDS plugin for it( just google it).

Open the image files for the paintings in gimp/photoshop. You will notice there is more than one layer, with the largest one being named "main surface", and the rest being named mipmap 1, 2, 3.....

These are mip maps and are used for optimization and to not make the texture weird as you move closer or further away from it. You want the mip maps to be with your new painting and not the old so for now delete all the mip maps leaving only the main surface.

Fill your own painting on top of the main surface, you may have to stretch it or use black bars in order to cover all of it.

Then export it as a .dds on top of where the old one was. Make sure generate mip maps is checked. as for which DXT to use I don't quite remember which one is best, but I am fairly certain your texture will look fine if you use DXT5.

And now you should be done.

If for some reason you wish not to overwride any files, you will have to set up a full conversion mod, and make copies of the main game folders for the paintings in your mod. Tutorials for setting up a full conversion mod can be found elsewhere on the site.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016, 10:06 PM by WALP.)
02-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Find
RaoulTheCat Offline

Hey back ! Thanks a lot for your reply, i just changed the first painting. It worked great, but still needs some work to look perfectly. Thanks again ! (i attached a screenshot of it)

Attached Files
.jpg   Screen_Screenshot_000.jpg (Size: 356.42 KB / Downloads: 137)
02-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(02-03-2016, 03:31 PM)RaoulTheCat Wrote: Hey back ! Thanks a lot for your reply, i just changed the first painting. It worked great, but still needs some work to look perfectly. Thanks again ! (i attached a screenshot of it)

Seems you modified the frame as well. probably wanna stick with only putting your pictures over the painting itself.
02-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

No, no, it's perfect. Leave it lol
02-05-2016, 02:20 AM
Find
Ongka Offline

Threads: 3

Another way to do it is to just copy and modify the paintings inside the folder "entities/insan_visions", as you can put them over the normal pictures and use different portrait frames for the same picture without having to make a seperate model each time.

If you don't know what I mean, check some of the original maps to see how they've put the insanity paintings over the normal ones.

[Image: 18694.png]
02-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Find
RaoulTheCat Offline

Ok yes, hey back. I changed other paintings but it looks shitty, it's hard to explain why, but i think i'll try again using your method @Ongka

Merci !
02-06-2016, 01:58 PM
Find