Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crashes upon entering specifically the Archives
takyoji Offline

Threads: 2
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Crashes upon entering specifically the Archives

Everything has been working fine, with the exception of relatively chaotic physics calculation (as it seems), and the whole application completely dying upon going into Archives. Went through the place as usual, to the main hall, went to the lab, tinkered with various things in there, went to the refinery area (and got blocked), went to the lab, then tried entering the wine cellar (but door locked), then tried entering the Archives room. Load screen shows, few seconds, application dies. Each time I recontinue the game, it dies when trying to enter the Archives room.

Game was installed to /usr/games/

Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit
NVidia GeForce 8800GT
4GB RAM

And via terminal, I have an error of: Amnesia.bin64: /builddir/core2/sources/impl/tinyXml/tinyxml.cpp:1102: virtual void TiXmlDocument:Tonguerint(FILE*, int) const: Assertion `cfile' failed.
09-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Crashes upon entering specifically the Archives

Hi,

The problem seems to be that the game tries to write to file (in install dir) but cannot. Try to set so Amnesia can write to disk.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2010, 09:33 AM by Thomas.)
09-08-2010, 09:32 AM
Find
takyoji Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Crashes upon entering specifically the Archives

Seems to have resolved the issue, by providing sufficient writing permissions.
09-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Find
RlyDontKnow Offline

Threads: 0

I'm crashing upon entering the very same area, however I installed to $HOME and checked permissions are right.
on top of that it's not crashing upon writing a file, but on reading it (see attached gdb log)

any recommendations?

EDIT: note that I didn't run the installer as root, either Wink

Attached Files
.log   debug.log (Size: 2.85 KB / Downloads: 149)
09-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Find
Joseph Curwen Offline

Threads: 8

@takyoji
Had same problem. But instead of running amnesia with root privileges you should try to install it to your home directory until this issue might be fixed.
Hint: Don't run the installer with 'sudo ./amnesia_tdd_1.0.sh', leave away the sudo command. I forgot to do so, installed to my home dir and wondered why the game still crashed. Took me quit some time to figure out that the write permissions were still set to root.
09-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Find
RlyDontKnow Offline

seems the problem solved itself.
I restarted the game and now I've been able to sucessfully enter the archives without any issues. Maybe it's been some corrupted save game or something like that?

EDIT: seems it's been only a short fix - it's crashing again, this time in the laboratory
09-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Find
takyoji Offline

(09-08-2010, 07:18 PM)Joseph Curwen Wrote: @takyoji
Had same problem. But instead of running amnesia with root privileges you should try to install it to your home directory until this issue might be fixed.
Hint: Don't run the installer with 'sudo ./amnesia_tdd_1.0.sh', leave away the sudo command. I forgot to do so, installed to my home dir and wondered why the game still crashed. Took me quit some time to figure out that the write permissions were still set to root.
I changed file ownership of every file within /usr/games/Amnesia recursively to my user account; so no, I don't run the game at all with superuser privileges ever. And as implied, after changing file ownership, it works.
09-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Find
RlyDontKnow Offline

seems using the openal version shipped with the game instead of my own did the trick for me - quite odd, though, as my openal version works fine in other games
09-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Find
valczir Offline

Had the same issue here and changing the file ownership worked fine. The installer really should be modified to create the game directory with ownership root:games. Apparently, write access is granted to group but not all, so setting the group to something that the gaming users are part of (in most cases, games) seems to solve it readily enough.

If you get this issue, do the following (assuming you have installed to /opt/Amnesia, as I have):

# chown -R root:games /opt/Amnesia

Replace /opt/Amnesia with wherever you installed the game.

And solved.
09-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Find
zak Offline

Threads: 4

(09-09-2010, 06:21 AM)valczir Wrote: Had the same issue here and changing the file ownership worked fine. The installer really should be modified to create the game directory with ownership root:games. Apparently, write access is granted to group but not all, so setting the group to something that the gaming users are part of (in most cases, games) seems to solve it readily enough.
I think the game should be modified so that it does not need to have write permission in the game data directory. For writing, there is ~/.frictionalgames/.
But I guess this will be implemented in the next patch.
09-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Find