Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How do you guys handle it?
Mikezila Offline

Threads: 5
RE: How do you guys handle it?

I haven't read the thread for fear of spoilers, no matter how minor, but I keep going until I find myself too paranoid to make steady progress. I only play at night, all the lights off, with nice headphones, and all phones/IM/email/etc turned off. When I'm in it, I'm in it.

Games like this one are the only thing that still gives me the combat-high reaction that most other games have lost the power to do. When a monster chases me in the game I almost stand out of my chair and my heart starts beating so fast I can hear it in my throat. Once I've managed to lose the monster I'm ready to fight a grizzly bear and run a marathon. Understandably I can't handle that for too long a time or my nerves will be destroyed. Gotta take a break.
09-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Find
superluser Offline

Threads: 3

I don't know. I just immerse myself in the game and convince myself that I have no choice but to continue going forward.

Sometimes, I will look out the window at the vague lights of cars driving by. It helps, unless of course, the light is coming through the trees making them look like approaching terrors.
09-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

I've lost my love. That's how. Nothing can scare me anymore.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-09-2010, 07:14 AM
Find
Headhanger Offline

Threads: 1

I think I played for roughly three hours last night from the moment Steam finished downloading the game until I needed to get some sleep (why do I have to go to work when I could be playing Amnesia!?).

It took great willpower to keep going. The game is very, very atmospheric and scary. I have been paralysed with fear on several ocassions so far. There have also been panicked moments of running with my tail between my legs.

However, the intrigue and the story have kept me going. I want to find out more about
Spoiler below!
this crazy alchemist and the mystical orbs... and why Daniel made some kind of forgetfulness potion!
09-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Website Find
Peanuckle Offline

Threads: 4

(09-09-2010, 12:18 AM)MooCowGal Wrote: actually the hall with the shell fountain is relaxing and I think is intended to be that way, at least at first... :3 muhahahahaha

That shell fountain. I got there and thought it was a nice safe place like the save zones in Resident Evil.
Spoiler below!
Then it turned all fleshy and evil just like everything else, and I was both terrified and saddened.
09-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Find
rogigor Offline

Threads: 3

I feel the same guys. Penumbra scared me as hell. But that was some time ago. I've downloaded the demo thinking "I like to be scared, let's see how good it is".

Well... It looks like I don't really like to be scared Smile 30min/1h and I must take a break.
09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Find
Adeno Offline

Threads: 8

The first time I played this, I was already very cautious because of what I've seen in the trailer lol! Whenever I saw a cabinet, I'd open one of its doors, just so when a monster popped up, I'd be able to just run, jump in, and close the door lol!

So yeah, I really had so much fun in the game. My strategy always involved looking for the nearest room where I can hide in case a monster appeared. I'd leave a door open whenever I'm walking around hallways. Whenever I'm inside rooms, I'd close all the doors behind me, so that if a monster were to appear, I'd have time to find a hiding place.

Having a plan lessened my fear lol! Still, whenever I heard loud growls and have a sudden change of vision, that caused me to have a little sense of urgency because I knew whatever it was, it's way too close for comfort. Anyway, as long as I had a place to retreat to, I didn't have much to worry about, aside from being careful not to bump into one of those ugly monsters.

I also took regular pee breaks...that helped lessen the pressue lol!

09-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Find
Voker57 Offline

I've played most of the game from 11PM to 6AM with lights off, nothing can scare me since I played Eternal Damnation through.
09-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Find
kastanok Offline

Threads: 0

First time I played, I got through cause I've played games all my life and gotten pretty blunted to such things - well, compared to some people. Amnesia still was pretty terrifying.

Second time was easier, though hardly a breeze, because I was pausing pretty regular to listen to commentary and takes notes.

09-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Website Find
Perogi Offline

I could play the game for a few hours before I felt exhausted and psychologically beaten. I will have to agree with most of the people in this thread though, this is a legitimately terrifying game. The jump scares were unpredictable and unsettling (if you go through desk drawers all the time like I did you will be in for quite a surprise around halfway through the game around you're thirtieth drawer). The atmosphere was constantly dark and fearful. I was always listening intently to the distant footsteps and howls, wondering if there WAS any reason to fear them. As for the gore I have seen worse. The torture chamber was very disturbing but it consists only of written descriptions and diagrams.

There is only one game which has scared me more than this and that would be Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, during the boat level. The Suffering is also nearly as scary as Amnesia but relied more heavily on gore.
09-10-2010, 12:20 AM
Find