Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Regarding Fiend and Energetic
BeholdMyGlory Offline

Threads: 1
Regarding Fiend and Energetic

Is was wondering about the two 2D games Fiend and Energetic, namely: How would you developers feel about releasing the source code to these games? Considering that the games are already free, I can't imagine that there would be any sort of financial trouble in open sourcing the games. Also, I'd love to at least ponder over the possibility of porting the games to Linux Smile
09-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
RE: Regarding Fiend and Energetic

Attached fiend source.

Energetic is lost in the void I think.

Attached Files
.rar   src.rar (Size: 450.29 KB / Downloads: 168)
09-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

Well, isn't Energetic based on a very primitive HPL anyway? I thought you mentioned in the past that it's possible to make tile-based sidescrollers with HPL1.

09-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Find
BeholdMyGlory Offline

(09-09-2010, 03:27 PM)Thomas Wrote: Attached fiend source.

Energetic is lost in the void I think.

Wow, I did not expect such a rapid answer, and with the source too! Just too bad about Energetic...

Then I have a few questions about the Fiend source:
Firstly, what kind of license would this be under, then? GPL? Second, would it be all right if I uploaded the source to for example Bitbucket or GitHub (after I get everything sorted this is)? And lastly, if the answer to the previous two questions is yes, would it be okay if I uploaded the accompanying media (images, sound, etc.) as well? And what kind of license would these be under?
09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Fiend licence would be 100% do what u like. Know there is a name for some licene where you can do just about what u want with it, cannot recall what to call it though Smile

It is 10 year old C code and not something I am proud of design wise Tongue

The media can be uploaded a long with it no problem! Just copy the credits list from the game in there somewhere.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2010, 08:34 PM by Thomas.)
09-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Find
BeholdMyGlory Offline

(09-09-2010, 08:32 PM)Thomas Wrote: Fiend licence would be 100% do what u like. Know there is a name for some licene where you can do just about what u want with it, cannot recall what to call it though Smile

It is 10 year old C code and not something I am proud of design wise Tongue

The media can be uploaded a long with it no problem! Just copy the credits list from the game in there somewhere.

That would probably be the BSD license (perhaps the simplified one?) Do I put you as the copyright owner?

I'll probably go ahead and upload the code right away anyway, even though I haven't begun looking into the code at all, just so I have somewhere to place it. You'll find it at https://bitbucket.org/beholdmyglory/fiend as soon as I know who to put as copyright owner Smile

One last note, could you give me a hint on how you built the code on Windows?

Also, if any other programmers want to have a go at the code, just send me a PM or tell me here, telling me your Bitbucket username and I'll probably give you write access to the repository. Just make sure you've figured out how to use Mercurial/hg Smile
09-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

BSD seems fine.

You need to have Allegro installed to build it. I think that is the only external prog.

Other than that I do not really recall
09-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Find
BeholdMyGlory Offline

I've uploaded the source code to http://bitbucket.org/beholdmyglory/fiend and started working on porting the code. It already compiles several files using CMake. I wrote down some initial thoughts in the wiki, if anyone is interested.
09-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Find
BeholdMyGlory Offline

Status update, for those who are interested: Both Fiend and the map editor now compiles. Fiend seems to be working nicely so far, though I haven't gotten the sound system working yet. Saving doesn't work. There are some problems with loading maps because of the maps using \ as a directory separator, whereas on Linux / is the correct directory separator. I assume this can be fixed using the map editor, however while the editor does compile, it exits quickly because it's unable to load a sound file (again, because I haven't gotten the sound system working). I've edited some of the binary map files, though, to replace \ with /, and with the maps I've tested it seems to be working well. Also, there is a graphical bug where blue scan lines appear for some reason, most notably in the mine.

So... Yeah, as soon as I get the FMOD sound system working (or, better yet, replace FMOD with an open source sound library) we should be veeery close to getting Fiend and the map editor working properly on Linux.
09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Find