Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a "vehicle" (EASY one, need help)
Amnesiaplayer Offline

Threads: 105
Making a "vehicle" (EASY one, need help)

So I just finished with my volcano type map oh god it is so beautiful, I literally am in lvoe with it.

So I just got an idea of having a scary bus (model=already DONE) that rides through some pathways until it reaches somea area's.
so is it possible to make this possible without adding any "bones" or any of these other rig things, because I don't know anything about these things, so I simply have a bus without doors. (Because I also don't know how to make a door open and close in amnesia xD)
so can I import the bus into amnesia, and make it as a "monster" so it can follow my pathnodes?
Please yes ;(
I already made the colision area's of the bus. onyl way of getting in is from 2 doorways.
and if this DOES work (hopefully) would my player basically "get pushed" to the back of the bus. or would it stayin the bus where he is staying? I mean some games literally do it that you need to move WITH the object that moves underneath you -_-

and after all of this, my idea for now is that it goes thorugh first 4 pathnodes, then stops, then you need to add fuel etc to make it go further etc etc, BTW the bus IS riding on HILLS"Mountains, these are static objects so it already has a collision area, so it wouldn't be a problem for the bus to ride above it right? don't tell me it is going through the path ;(

this is alot of questions but I always try to resolve my own questions before posting here, but I couldn't test this one because I'm not home atm...
I am soon after a few days but I still need to be sure about it.
02-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19
RE: Making a "vehicle" (EASY one, need help)

Ok, so...

I get your intentions and I admire you for even considering such an out of the box thing.

BUT

Enemies are kept straight up. The bus would easily clip through the environment.
It wouldn't tilt and would go up a slope only when its exact center gets to it.
Making your bus an enemy is a bad decision.

Unfortunately for you, the best way of achieving something like this is indeed animating the object with armature.

You could perhaps try something like the in-game position changes, like you would do with a hammer, but the results might not be that good.

In conclusion:
Amnesia is not designed with vehicles in mind and you either need to bite the bullet and learn to animate your objects or think of a different strategy.

By the way, I made a tutorial on how to animate an object and get it in Amnesia from Blender.
02-25-2016, 09:40 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

thanks for the help!
quite sad now honestly ;(
I can't animate, and don't use blender too ;(
I'm using maya, and sitll don't know how to uv map something etc.
and I don't think I'll ever learn it since i'm going way too bad with school just because I didn't spend enough time to it...
I guess I need to make the player wal a little bit then ;P
02-25-2016, 10:05 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

You could try this, but I have no idea if it will work:

Make the bus model an entity with type: object and subtype: static (I might be wrong with these, but it should work this way)
It's done in the model editor; load your model, than click settings>user defined variables. Adding bodies to the model in this method would probably be useless, so just save it as an entity.

Now this is the most experimental part. Try attaching the entity to the player (via scripting) by using either
AttachPropToProp (you need 1.3 to use this) or
AddAttachedPropToProp (this one's supposedly broken so better try the first). You'll need to set the position where the bus connects to the player, which unfortunately means that player won't be able to move around the bus.

What I expect to happen is that the bus will now move with the player; Now you only need to disable player movement and such stuff, and then use something like
AddPlayerBodyForce to move the player around (you will have to experiment how to disable/reduce upwards and downwards motion which is present in walking animation. I think there was a tutorial for that somewhere, search for camera movement or intros)

The other funky part is if you want the bus to make a turn. I think you'd have to use AddPlayerBodyForce again, but this time have the force along either axis decrease as the force on the other axis increases. I'd do this by using a float variable and a timer/for function that increases the variable value.

This might work, but if it will it will still require plenty of experimentation.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2016, 11:11 PM by Darkfire.)
02-26-2016, 11:09 PM
Find
Spelos Away
Banned

Threads: 19

Using that method, however, would still result in the bus clipping through the terrain upon encountering a slope.

In that method, the bus would most likely move with player, but the question is whether the bus moves as the player moves his head.

If it does, then you have just a fixed view that could be done in some other way. And is basically the middle of the bus.

If it doesn't, they you cannot make the bus turn.

---

The real problem is not how do I make the bus move, but how do I fake it.

Would just having a fadeOut with the sound of that bus not be enough?

If you have a terrain model, can't you create a duplicate of it with a static bus (and player in it) and move the terrain instead?
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2016, 11:21 PM by Spelos.)
02-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

That is also a way, although he/she probably has a terrain made of entities in map editor (tbh I've seen custom terrains like twice in my entire CS experience).

If you SetPlayerActive(false); they won't be able to move the camera (this also solves the first problem), and if they can't do that they won't see the bus clip through the ground as they will be inside the bus. As long as the terrain isn't very steep.

I also agree that this will probably look quite constricted.

02-26-2016, 11:28 PM
Find
Amnesiaplayer Offline

Thanks for both of your help!!
I am gonna try this because it really sounds interesting!!
And the bus clipping through the floor isn't that much of a pain, since you won't really see the bus riding if standign outside of it, but the problem is, will some "ground" or rock beneath go through the bus?!
I hate these part of glitches, Like seeing something clipping through objects Sad
02-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

You can fix that, too - if you put a block box over the rock player will pass over it without clipping, and the rocks will be still normally visible (block box is an "invisible wall" it's in entities/technical)

02-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Find