Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Lamp doesn't act as a light source?
Gvaz Offline

Threads: 1
Lamp doesn't act as a light source?

Specifically I mean, why does the lamp not reduce insanity like a tinderbox lighted source? It is still light all the same. It just seems inconsistent.

Sure it removes the fuzzy filter, but doesn't actually reduce your insanity when out compared to the light sources. Or, it does so little as to not be useful anyways.

Is this intended? Why?
09-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Find
nofsky Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Lamp doesn't act as a light source?

Do other light sources reduce your insanity? I thought all light does is stopping your sanity from draining and removing some of the effects.
09-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Find
bblaze Offline

Threads: 5

I guess you could argue that walking around with a lantern doesn't reduce sanity because it's not as effective in giving you a sense of security as being in a kind of "safe haven" that a static light source does.

But that's just me rationalizing it so I can continue to view it as the perfect game.
09-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Find
Gvaz Offline

Threads: 1

It regains with time, that I noticed. But it can take a few minutes and you have to be near a light source.
09-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Find
RoadCrewWorker Offline

Threads: 0

Being in the dark slowly drains your sanity, so having the lamp is simply a protection against that drain. It doesn't really need to heal you.

Try going from "crystal clear" to collapsing on the floor simply by standing in the dark and you'll get a pretty good idea of how slowly the actual drain is.
09-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Find
thrash242 Offline

Darkness drains sanity. Light does not regain it. Making progress is the only way to regain it, at least according to the developers.

It'd be lame if you could just chill out by a light for a few minutes and be in tip-top shape.
09-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Find
caseystryker Offline

Threads: 2

(09-10-2010, 05:36 AM)thrash242 Wrote: Darkness drains sanity. Light does not regain it. Making progress is the only way to regain it, at least according to the developers.

It'd be lame if you could just chill out by a light for a few minutes and be in tip-top shape.

I've found that relaxing next to a nice candlelight does increase sanity. I've gone from terrified and shaking hands to just having a slight headache by doing this and not making any progress. Though, I don't believe you can get to crystal clear.
09-10-2010, 05:45 AM
Find
RoadCrewWorker Offline

I've had weird situations where a certain scripted events or level transitions would suddenly replenish my sanity all the way to "crystal clear" without a long waiting period.

I really wish the player lamp would cast shadows, but it seems changing the light rendering behavior is tricky. Sad
09-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Find
Commando Peach Offline

Threads: 2

Well... yeah. The biggest advertised way to reduce insanity is to progress in the game and solve puzzles. It follows that most scripted events would fall under this and help clear your head more than a little. Smile

I did not, however, realize that standing in candlelight will restore your sanity. It's strange, because part of me was sort of intuitively acting as if this was the case when I first started playing. I'd run to stand right next to lamps after long stretches of scary stuff and just sit there, as if I was taking a breath or waiting for something recharge before venturing forth again. So I guess it would make sense in a strange way.
09-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Find
-[Badger]- Offline

Threads: 3

lamp and tinderboxes, what about using the candles sticks to move fire around to the torches or lamps, instead of the tinderboxes. or using them instead of the lamp.
09-10-2010, 08:15 AM
Find