Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ways to purchase?
rekster Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Ways to purchase?

I'm a Mac user! Just tried out the demo and it rocks. Smoother than ever on my Macbook Pro. Perhaps there isn't many posts in this forum because it just works! Smile

I want to purchase the game but I'm stuck between two options here and have questions.

If I purchase via Steam, I'm forced to use the Steam client to play the game. If I purchase direct from Frictional I'm assuming it's a standalone version? Can I purchase direct yet still have the capability to add the game to Steam for future?

The only reason I ask is I purchased other games via Steam and years later was able to re-download them as they had it in their database I had a license for them.

If not I'll just purchase the standalone and make a backup and store it away for future. Better yet I'd love a boxed copy but I'm assuming this is digital download only?

Either way I will definitely be purchasing this game and thanks so much for the Mac version I wish more companies would get off the Windows only vibe and start supporting the Mac. Reasonable pricing and Mac support makes me happy to spend money to support the developers. If only other companies would do the same.

Cheers.
09-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Find
Mikezila Offline

Threads: 5
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Ways to purchase?

(Redacted, as it was incorrect. See below for correct information.)

I too find it semi entertaining that the Mac support section has almost zero posts, while the Linux and PC sections are full of all kinds of problems. That's not to bash, though; I have a Mac mini (that I'm using to play the game) a gaming laptop (that I haul to LAN parties), and an Arch Linux server in my closet (that does all kinds of storage and streaming for my house). But hey, I guess it just works.
09-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Find
rekster Offline

Oh there isn't any standalone version for Mac? Don't get me wrong I like Steam - for example years ago I bought the 'Orange Box' for the PC. I switched to Mac this year, and when I logged onto Steam and was able to download the Mac versions for all the PC games I had bought - free of charge.

As handy as that was, my issue is I also don't like having to rely on the Steam client to play a game. I had an issue recently where my internet connection was down so I had no way at all to play my games as it required authentication with Steam before it would allow me to play. Yes you can tell it to go into 'Offline Mode' but you need to be online to sign in in the first place to even go offline. Frustrating.

Can anyone verify if there is no standalone version of the game?

And Mike - I used to use Windows, then Linux, and now that I've used a Mac I never want to go back, especially after trying out Windows 7 - what an awful operating system!
09-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

There are standalone version for all platforms. To be clear you do not get a Steam key when buying the game from us, only pre-orders got this as an extra bonus.

Maybe you should checkout http://macgamesarcade.com?
It's for Mac only, it is like Steam, but without any Steam-like-DRM, so no need to run the client or be online to play the games. But you have an account where you can re-download your previously bought games. They have Amnesia and is run by http://insidemacgames.com so a more experienced Mac gaming oriented source is hard to find.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2010, 06:21 AM by jens.)
09-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Website Find
rekster Offline

Thanks for the advice Jens, I'm going to check out Mac Games Arcade now.

Just to verify I understand you correctly, I can use it to manage games and re-download later, but I still have a 'standalone' copy of the game that I could copy or restore from a backup to play without using the Mac Games Arcade if I choose to? If so, I think this is the route I will go.
09-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Yes, I'm 99% certain it works like that, but check their sites for details and I'm sure they can be contacted to get a 100% certain answer!
09-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Website Find
rekster Offline

Thanks for your help Jens, and for pointing out Mac Games Arcade. I just purchased the Penumbra Collection from Mac Games Arcade - for half the price that Steam wanted! I will also be purchasing Amnesia.

I've also been spreading the word about Amnesia and look forward to seeing your future games.

Have a great one and keep up the good work.
09-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Find