Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] Freeze on PPC in Mac OS X 10.5.8
sayfodias Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago [split] Freeze on PPC in Mac OS X 10.5.8

Demo the version of game Amnesia: The Dark Descent hangs up!!!! Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5Ghz c video card ATI Radeon 9800XT 256Mb VRam (OEM) hangs up!!!!!!! DEEEEEEEP FREEZZ!!!!!

Mac OS 10.5.8
09-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Find
Harry Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: [split] Freeze on PPC in Mac OS X 10.5.8

(09-10-2010, 09:13 AM)sayfodias Wrote: Demo the version of game Amnesia: The Dark Descent hangs up!!!! Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5Ghz c video card ATI Radeon 9800XT 256Mb VRam (OEM) hangs up!!!!!!! DEEEEEEEP FREEZZ!!!!!

Mac OS 10.5.8

Might want to also chuck in how much RAM your computer has. That can make a big difference.
09-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Find
maikelg Offline

Threads: 0

This is really a big problem on (older) Macs. I have the same setup as the poster above and Amnesia freezes randomly every 10-15 minutes. Amnesia plays pretty smooth with all settings on medium but I could just be walking in a hallway with nothing special happening when out of nothing the computer completely freezes up. And it's not a normal freeze either, it's a pretty serious kill bug. There is no way to force-exit the game after that, I have to restart the whole computer each time it happens. Lowering the settings of the game or playing in window mode makes no difference. So perhaps the makers of the game should look into this and make a patch or an update for mac users.

And please don't give us the "you have and older computer, so that's why" excuse. I am meeting the minimum system requirements you set on your site and it's really your fault if this game isn't working. And right now it's just unplayable with constant freezes all over the place. I am willing to accept that I have to play with lower settings but making this game unplayable is unforgivable. I am playing games that require a lot more from my old mac, like the Sims and WoW without any problems, so it's probably a memory issue within the game itself.
09-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

What this issue seems to be is a driver issue. We are doing a lot of Occlusion queries in the game renderer. the few times I've been able to recreate it was "stuck" in the occlusion loop waiting for the ATI driver to return the results. We put in safeguards around that to verify the query before using it and in my last set of heavy testing I could not recreate the issue.

It seems I have to go and pester Apple to see if this can be resolved. Though at this point it does not seem like they are wanting to support any older hardware.. Even my 2006 Intel Mac Pro is receiving no graphics updates for several KNOWN graphics issues that have been reported to them.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
09-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Website Find
squid2d Offline

Any new developments on this problem?

I bought a new MacBook Pro just 2 weeks ago (Oct 2011) and Amnesia is the only game I've installed. Even on the lowest graphics settings, there is no improvement. The constant freezing has pretty much ruined the game, since it is impossible to become immersed in the game's environment.

Is anyone at Frictional Games still working on this?
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2011, 08:55 PM by Urkle.)
10-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

(10-31-2011, 08:50 PM)squid2d Wrote: Any new developments on this problem?

I bought a new MacBook Pro just 2 weeks ago (Oct 2011) and Amnesia is the only game I've installed. Even on the lowest graphics settings, there is no improvement. The constant freezing has pretty much ruined the game, since it is impossible to become immersed in the game's environment.

If you hvae a "new" mac, then the issue documented here doesn't apply as it is for PPC macs with older graphics cards.. You are most likely having a different issue with the new mac.. can you please provide (in a new thread) more defaults about your system? (OS version, exact graphics cards, RAM, disk space, etc..)

10-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Website Find
x4a42 Offline

Threads: 0

(10-31-2011, 08:58 PM)Urkle Wrote:
(10-31-2011, 08:50 PM)squid2d Wrote: Any new developments on this problem?

If you hvae a "new" mac, then the issue documented here doesn't apply as it is for PPC macs with older graphics cards.. You are most likely having a different issue with the new mac.. can you please provide (in a new thread) more defaults about your system? (OS version, exact graphics cards, RAM, disk space, etc..)
Since this is the "older graphics cards" bug thread, I'd like to point out that it doesn't run on iMac G5, specifically after "OGL ATIFragmentShader" in the log message.
11-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Unfortunately it's hit or miss on PPC macs.. I essentially only have a G4 powerbook to test on with an in 9800 ATI card. (this would be the LAST PPC mac laptop made). And for the most part it ran find on that system. It wouldn't run at all on the Mac mini w/ the ATI 7800 obviously:-D.

The few (sporadic) issues I had on the G4 laptop were all pointing to driver issues, which apple no longer supports and maintains.

11-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Website Find