Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Permission issues
pedromc Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago Permission issues

I will first point out that I don't run programs as root if I don't have to, so I run both the installer and the game in a non root accounts.

I have noticed two issues related to permissions.

The first is during install. I selected /usr/local/games/ as the install directory. This directory was owned by root (as it should be). I had previously, as root, created a /usr/games/Amnesia/ directory owned by installer user, and had given that user write permission. Even so, the installer incorrectly complained about not having write permission to /usr/local/games/. The installer, before checking for write permission to the install directory, should check if a Amnesia directory with adequate permissions already exist.

The second is during game play. When loading/entering a new section of the game it aborts with a assertion 'cfile' failed. After reading the trouble shooting guide, I gave write permission to the directory /usr/games/Amnesia/ for all users, but the game continued to have the same problem. I then gave write permission to all files and subdirectories in /usr/games/Amnesia/ and that resolved that problem.

I trust the few users in this system will behave (or cruel & unusual punishments follow Smile ) but this solution is less than ideal and presents clear security issues. Write operation should be performed in the $HOME directory and system directories should always be, at most, read only.

Also, while I'm complaining, why the need for the ego trip in $HOME/.frictionalgames/Amnesia ?
Hint: $HOME/.Amnesia Wink

The rest worked very well, great performance, and great graphics. Thanks.
Just noticed I posted in the wrong place. It should have been posted in "Linux - Technical Support".
Please move this thread there. Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2010, 12:18 PM by pedromc.)
09-10-2010, 12:15 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Permission issues

Thank you for reporting, issues are known and being worked on!
09-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Website Find