Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)
CrushedRaiD Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Feedback wanted: Some questions on Ending (spoilerish)

1) When entering the Orb Room (where Alexander is), what where your feelings toward Daniel (ie yourself), Alexander and Agrippa.

First i was thinking that: "Finally.. Now Alexander is done for! Then i started thinking about the fact that i was the one who came to seek for help. But Alexander was the one kidnapping people and collecting the vitae for himself trough their suffering and fear. But i was still helping him in this madness, and for agrippa, he had done nothing wrong. So i felt bad for agrippa and thought that he is the one who should be free.

2) What was the ending that you got the first time? Was this a choice?

I chose to help Agrippa, at first i knocked down 2 of the poles and when Alex started begging i stopped, thought for a while, and then threw agrippa trough the portal.

3) How did you like the ending?

I think that was the best one of them all.

4) Did you get any other endings? If so, which one was your favorite? And what where your motivation for seeing more endings?

I have completed the game 2 times (3 on the way Big Grin) and got the revenge ending and agrippa ending.
01-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

(09-10-2010, 07:47 PM)Thomas Wrote: 1) When entering the Orb Room (where Alexander is), what where your feelings toward Daniel (ie yourself), Alexander and Agrippa.

I didn't felt nothing about Daniel, and alexander was an a**hole (no one f*cks with Daniel). But agrippa sounded like a good guy to me. But i didn't care about him too... :S he was so annoying

(09-10-2010, 07:47 PM)Thomas Wrote: 2) What was the ending that you got the first time? Was this a choice?

The ending Agrippa and Alexander dies, and Daniel survive. Yes, it was a choice. The game is played to be immersed, so even IF I thought Daniel should die... why would I take my own life? Screw Agrippa and Alexander... I'm getting out of here alive.

(09-10-2010, 07:47 PM)Thomas Wrote: 3) How did you like the ending?

It was good. Nothing so special, but I can't imagine a better ending.

(09-10-2010, 07:47 PM)Thomas Wrote: 4) Did you get any other endings? If so, which one was your favorite? And what where your motivation for seeing more endings?

Yes. My favorite was the one that Daniel got out of the castle alive. My motivation was... hm... I think I was just curious.. @_@
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2011, 03:49 PM by kailip.)
01-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Find
Vivec Offline

Threads: 0

(09-10-2010, 07:47 PM)Thomas Wrote: Now that a many of you have completed the game, we would like to take the opportunity and ask some questions related to the Ending and the story as a whole.

Here goes:

1) When entering the Orb Room (where Alexander is), what where your feelings toward Daniel (ie yourself), Alexander and Agrippa.

4) Did you get any other endings? If so, which one was your favorite? And what where your motivation for seeing more endings?

About halfway through I started to think of Daniel as an absolute ass, especially after all he had done to innocent people. However, the more and more I understood how he felt and the utter terror he had of dying, the more and more I felt sympathetic. At the end, I felt very fond of Daniel and I decided he/I deserved a better fate than being devoured by the Shadow/Killed for Agrippa's sake.

My feelings about Alexander were similarly mixed. The first time I went through the whole thing, I actually felt like Alexander was a decent fellow and that he was doing it for Daniel's sake, and that Daniel was more of a monster. Then I paid more attention to the notes and Alexander's manipulation (and the obvious rape scenarios! Tongue) and I realized Alexander was a total and utter monster. Especially during the animal torture scene. Seeing his shriveled yet awe inspiring penis at the end of the game was, for me, the last straw, and his death cry was exhilarating.

My feelings about Agrippa were consistent throughout. He's a yappy idiot who didn't deserve to go through the portal. Thusly I never bothered worrying about his tonic. I never felt any sympathy for him, really.

2. Agrippa's goody goody ending the first time, actually. I really only chose that ending the first time because I didn't know what else to do (besides stare at the Baron's genitalia).

3. I don't like that ending. It makes me feel so unsatisfied. Daniel gets killed by the Shadow and joins Agrippa and Weyer in space/heaven/???. It just didn't seem right - it felt anticlimactic, especially after the extremely laborious journey to arrive at the Inner Sanctum. A huge buildup, just to die after a few minutes.

4. On subsequent playthroughs I've preferred to have the revenge ending. It seems the most appropriate. Daniel walks out of the castle to finally see daylight again, (hopefully) no longer hunted by the Shadow. He's still haunted by the things he did and saw, of course, but he uses this horrific past to learn from and make himself a better man. Definitely my favorite ending, makes me feel very satisfied and happy after. It must have been terribly awkward walking past Agrippa though.

The ending where Alexander goes through the portal and Daniel's consumed by the shadow definitely seems the worst. Alexander goes spot-free, and the Shadow is probably very pissed off. It probably like destroys the world or something Tongue

I wanted to see the other endings because the first was very unsatisfying, after spending so much time shitting my pants. Well, Daniel's pants.
01-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Find
CrushedRaiD Offline

Threads: 10

Well there is no proof that daniel really got out of the castle Huh Maybe he passed out and was imagining getting out of there.. U saw when he passed out after Alex died. Sad
01-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Find
kerblamalot Offline

I felt a strong attachment to Daniel as I myself have been manipulated before (not anywhere near as badly as Daniel before you send the men in the white coats round my house) so I was eager that justice was served.

Stating that Alexander was evil feels like I would be nominated for the obvious award. So it's difficult to explain how else I would describe him. I think hell bent on achieving his goal without thought of his consequences and only serving to his own gain is the embodiment of evil.

With Agrippa I felt sorry for the guy. I wanted to help him, and I'm a bit of a sap when making sure I choose the right path. Even when I play games that have multiple choices that consist of good and bad, I always pick the side of good. Even if I play though the game again.

I pushed down all of the energy conducts, and took great delight in foiling Alexander's plan, but I realized this was the path of revenge and poor ol Agrippa did not get his freedom he so desperately needed. (I reloaded the ending to make sure I freed him the second time round)

It felt good that Daniel managed to extract his revenge on Alexander. It was a chance of salvation for his past mistakes. Although I wish there was more content on the ending. Maybe showing in more detail of Alexander getting what he deserved.

Saving Agrippa the second time round was my preferred ending. I felt bad the first time round as I realized Agrippa did not get his well deserved freedom. I was pleased with the ending, but felt it was still too short. I felt that instead of walking towards the light with hearing his words, that you could be rewarded with a calm and peaceful scenery, with a strong emphasis that you did the right thing.

But in a nut shell. I have never before experienced such an atmospheric and terrifying game in all my life. I take my hat off to you all. You did an amazing job!
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2011, 10:58 PM by kerblamalot.)
01-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

1) i felt pretty chill, i didn't have any feelings towards daniel (present) because by then i was saying me/i but i felt that daniel (past) was a little bit aggresive, probably a go getter, but overall greedy/selfish, i didn't not like him but i wouldn't want to be him.

i didn't care much for alex, i mean, the guy was banished from his world for some reason, and no matter how much a loved whoever, he did kill and torture people to prolong his life, and no matter where your from, love can't justify that.

aggrippa was a pretty cool dude, a little "small" in personality, maybe humble or modest, he didn't act like he was better than me, like alex did.

2) i helped Agrippa, i thought about just destroying the portal, but then aggrippa would be a little pissed, and i thought he was ok.

3) it was OK

4) i got them all, don't really have a favorite, but i guess if you help aggrippa you get to cut off his head, so that one.
01-28-2011, 01:55 AM
Find
IsenMike Offline

I thought Daniel was something of a monster. That he blamed his own evil deeds on Alexander seemed delusional and self-important; I really didn't feel like he was entitled to any "revenge."

Alexander also seemed pretty nasty, but in an odd way seemed not nearly as bad as Daniel. The story had seemed to imply that Alexander wasn't human, but was some sort of other-dimensional being; that he had little empathy for the humans he tortured is, on some level, more forgivable, particularly given the hints about some nobler purpose and lost love.

Agrippa seemed to be very amiable, good-natured, and helpful. Speaking with him was a bit of light-heartedness amidst an otherwise dark and terrifying experience. Given the tone and themes of the game, though, I was very suspicious; he seemed "too good to be true" and I was wary of him somehow double-crossing me.

At first I got the "revenge" ending. I didn't realize I was making a choice; knocking over the orbs seemed to be the only interaction available to me.

I felt Daniel was let off the hook too easily for the selfish atrocities he'd committed.

When knocking over the orbs ended the game, I realized that I hadn't done anything with Agrippa's head, so I figured there must have been other options in the Orb Room. I reloaded twice and got both other endings.

Though I had qualms with the "revenge" ending (see above), I did think it was the most satisfying. The other two were very vague, and I was disappointed that neither one really explained what was going on with Alexander and his lost love. The last few sections of the game seemed to be leading to a reversal, with Alexander looking less evil, his actions perhaps more justified, and Daniel looking more evil, his actions more selfish and thoughtless. It would have been nice to have one of the endings really pay off on that twist.
02-22-2011, 04:19 AM
Find
LSunday Offline

Threads: 1

I felt for Daniel more than most people seem to- I seem to be one of a few people who remembers to factor in the time period in my judgement. If it had been set in modern times i would be significantly less sympathetic to him- but I know that the torture and murder of all those people wasn't particularly rash in that time, and the idea of fair trials and really being sure of someone's guilt wasn't particularly widespread either. Daniel's willingness to hurt those people doesn't seem like that far of a stretch even if his life weren't at stake, as long as he honestly believed they were guilty.

Alexander was pretty bad, but I at least knew he was upfront about his intentions for the progress of the actual game (not beforehand, but whatever).

I did not trust Agrippa. Alexander's memory thing about 'doing to him what agrippa did to me' ruined any chance I had of believing Agrippa's stories and plans. I made his tonic, but didn't throw him in. I knocked over the pillars, and got the escape ending, which I thought was the most appropriate. Seeing some of the scarier areas of the game, clear of monsters, was perfect for closure, as far as I was concerned.
02-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Find
Brennenburg Offline

Threads: 9

Uhmm, my first ending was that I put Agrippas head in cus i didnt know what else to do.

[Image: TRcp2.png]
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

(09-10-2010, 07:47 PM)Thomas Wrote: Now that a many of you have completed the game, we would like to take the opportunity and ask some questions related to the Ending and the story as a whole.

Here goes:

1) I felt I (Daniel) needed to see it through to the end, to make sure that Alexander's means were not fulfilled. I felt that Daniel was the lesser of the two evils...but by the end of the game I saw him only as a protagonist, no hero at all. Alexander I see as mostly evil and highly manipulative.

2) The first ending I got was being consumed by the shadow in the cell, out of not being able to escape. I reloaded, continued to the end and knocked over the pylons (good ending).

3) The ending which results in Daniel being consumed, and Alexander passing through the portal is awful, awful, AWFUL...but very powerful and well implemented. His gratitude to you is all the more a slap in the face. I feel it was good to experience that ending once, but afterward, I wanted to try again and this time take down Alexander. Tongue

The good ending felt like Daniel got off very easily to me. I felt like killing Alexander was an important 'mission' but not exactly grounds for Daniel's redemption. I never got the ending where you use Agrippa's head (as I was captured before I got all the materials to save him Sad ) but I feel the 'good' and 'special' endings should have been switched to some extent. The special ending seems to leave Daniel in limbo almost and the good ending is life and freedom.

4) Guess I already answered that...
02-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Find