Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Your Demo Failed
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Your Demo Failed

(09-11-2010, 07:36 PM)opinionatedhuman Wrote: Let me start simply with time. The demo took about 45 minutes for me to complete.
45 minutes? And you say it wasn't scary?

I was scared as hell, and I completed it in 13 minutes.
Damn you 1 hour long full game! Damn you! oh wait...

(09-11-2010, 07:36 PM)opinionatedhuman Wrote: So, improve your demo. Disappointing, lost at least one sale, etc.
I wouldn't really consider that a loss.

(09-11-2010, 11:34 PM)opinionatedhuman Wrote: I will say this -- the purpose of a demo is supposed to give you a taste of the kind of fun and content that is in the full version. I feel that Amnesia's demo failed to do that.
In other words... You don't have what it takes to survive.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Demo took you 45 minutes to complete, right?
This demo took me about 20 minutes to complete and the final game took me 10 hours to complete, so it will take you about 25 hours to complete, not 4-5, if we count it with these times...

And then you say atmosphere was good and it wasn't scary and it took you that long to complete the demo?

And where do they sell this game for $20, if I may ask?

...and then again, if the demo failed so hard, I don't really think Frictional Games will need or want to steal your money with their "hard failing" product. Smile
After all, it's just a demo, so no one lost anything.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2010, 12:25 AM by Yuhaney.)
09-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Website Find
Wafthrudnir Offline

Threads: 6

Quote:@Wafthrudnir: When it's advertised as a "survival horror" and there is no "horror" in the demo, what am I supposed to expect from the final game?

Well, when there's no horror, this game seems to be the wrong game for you. You played the demo and found out there's no horror for you...keep on searching. Maybe Fatal Frame or Silent Hill will be the right thing for you.

As I said, I think this game is something for people with a average EQ...you need to get into this game. I think you failed...and I agree with Elvis Von Pryde's post:
Quote:And also, the demo WAS scary. If you'd read the stuff before it starts you need to immerse yourself. Allow yourself to be scared. Horror is like hypnosis, if you resist it can't work.
Also, I think you're just an unsatisfiable prick who doesn't like anything he's presented with.

EQ dude, not Pussy ;D But when RL fails, everything else fails...

Keep on searchin'...next demo may will satisfy you enough :>

"What is Amnesia?"
"This is Amnesia..."
"HOLY SHIT WTF?!!?"
09-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Find
opinionatedhuman Offline

Threads: 1

(09-12-2010, 12:17 AM)Scraper Wrote: Demo took you 45 minutes to complete, right?
This demo took me about 20 minutes to complete and the final game took me 10 hours to complete, so it will take you about 25 hours to complete, not 4-5, if we count it with these times...

And then you say atmosphere was good and it wasn't scary and it took you that long to complete the demo?

And where do they sell this game for $20, if I may ask?

...and then again, if the demo failed so hard, I don't really think Frictional Games will need or want to steal your money with their "hard failing" product. Smile
After all, it's just a demo, so no one lost anything.
Thanks for the one post I find helpful. I didn't say the game was a failure, I said the demo was, and I didn't say they wanted to steal my money, at least. What I said is that based solely on the demo, I was disinterested in buying the full game.

I find the sense of time you gave the most useful bit of information in this thread. By the way, you can find this game for $20 at their store. I'm confused as to why you ask.
09-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Find
Mikezila Offline

Threads: 5

So what do you want? A cookie? You came in here and dumped a wall of text explaining how you didn't like the demo. So move on? Not every game appeals to everyone.
09-12-2010, 04:01 AM
Find
opinionatedhuman Offline

(09-12-2010, 04:01 AM)Mikezila Wrote: So what do you want? A cookie? You came in here and dumped a wall of text explaining how you didn't like the demo. So move on? Not every game appeals to everyone.
My post was not aimed at the users of this forum or players of the game, but at Frictional Games. The forums seemed to be my only option as I found no way to contact them directly.
09-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I think you should be allowed to criticize as much as everyone else is allowed to praise. You are very whiny, but criticism is the best thing to happen to art.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Website Find
Gvaz Offline

The op is totally retarded.

- demos are usually 30 minutes, to 2 hours tops, depending on what kind of game it is.
- the point of the game is:
no combat
hide from monsters
solve puzzles
loose some inhibitions and get immersed. If you can't do this, drink. I'm told it helps.
- even in the game, the story is released in chunks. it's the design of the game. you don't know everything, but you do at the end know mostly what the situation is. A demo shouldn't say something that will spoil the whole game for you.
- i dont know about you, but figuring out the gimmick with the water monster for me was frustrating, but once I realized that I can in fact go in the water and I should, then I stopped getting so frustrated and enjoyed it much more.
09-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

I almost want to throw the op into a 'troll' category.

But to be suckered in : You buy games based on their quality, not how long it takes to complete it.

Hell, I could create a 25,000 hour game in a few days. It won't be fun to play. But god damn you'll get your moneyies worth. Hell, 0.00004 pennies will be worth a game hour!

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
09-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Find
mtomato Offline

Threads: 0

(09-11-2010, 11:34 PM)opinionatedhuman Wrote: When it's advertised as a "survival horror" and there is no "horror" in the demo, what am I supposed to expect from the final game?

I'll ask you then, what kind of games you do consider as survival horror? Doom3? F.E.A.R.? Bioshock?

Edit: didn't realize that there was another pageful of posts, and I can't delete this particular post.

Edit2:
(09-12-2010, 06:59 AM)WindexGlow Wrote: You buy games based on their quality, not how long it takes to complete it.
I disagree.
You buy games based on how well you think they will entertain you.
09-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Find