Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't jump when running
Joseph Curwen Offline

Threads: 8
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago Can't jump when running

I guess it's not intended that you can't jump when running forward. Is this a problem with my keyboard or with the Linux version of amnesia (haven't tried the windows version yet)? When running, I have to release the 'shift' key keeping 'w' held down and press 'space' . Found that quite annoying, especially when trying to escape from the invisible water monsters (Run like hell towards a box, stop, become chomped by the monster, jump on the crate). Would be easier if you could jump with full running speed like a normal person could.
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31
Solved: 8 Years, 3 Weeks ago RE: Can't jump when running

That is strange.. can you provide more details on your system? As the game should not do that. And I'm just testing now and I can run and jump perfectly fine.

What distribution are you using, what video card, What desktop environment are you using? And do you have any program that might be running that might interfere with the keyboard?

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
09-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Website Find
Joseph Curwen Offline

Ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx (GNOME) 32 bit
Nvidia GTX 260
I do a bit programming myself and have read somewhere that it's sometimes difficult to read key combinations if they are not done with the 'standard' ctrl/alt/shift + any other key. Maybe I have a cheap keyboard and it blocks when I try 'shift' + 'w' +'space'. I can't think of a program interfering with amnesia, normally I have only empathy running in background, sometimes Firefox or evolution.
09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

we access the keyboard more as a set of "keys" than combinations.. so that difficulty doesn't apply. we are simply looking at every keypress and keyrelease event. So, if no program is in the way (which many others are using unbuntu 10.04 and gnome w/o reporting this issue), then my guess would be the keyboard is faulty and not correctly reporting multiple keypresses on that half of the keyboard.

Have you tried using the right shift instead to run? I have an old Omnikey ultra (1990 keyboard, love the keyboard). that only tracks like 4 keys per half of the keyboard.. So if I press more than 4 at a time it doesn't recognize them.

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
09-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Website Find
Joseph Curwen Offline

Right shift doesn't work either, but when I re-mapped the 'jump' action to left alt, everything worked fine. Maybe trying another keyboard later to see if this problem happens with it then, too.
09-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Find