Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: failure to launch!
elaisias Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Amnesia: failure to launch!

The application quits unexpectedly on launch.

My computer (a 2008 MacBook running OSX 10.5.8) has an Intel GMA x3100 graphics card, which the system requirements section did not mention. The troubleshooting guide, however, said that the GMA x3100 was able to run a compatibility test without errors. ("The only card that could run the compatibility test without errors (apart from bad ssao) where GMA X3100 on OSX.")

It also mentioned that it may be that the card has the features required but it's the drivers that are "bad" but did not indicate where to get new drivers. There is a fix for the GMA X3100 that only works on 10.5.6 as far as I know.

Does anyone know if there are drivers available for this driver on Macs running 10.5.8? If it ran the compatibility test, I figure someone must have figured this out. In my googling, I found that a lot of games don't run due to not having a driver that supports 250 color..?

Sorry for not posting the error log, but I can't find the proper folder.
09-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Amnesia: failure to launch!

It is not possible to find new drivers for a Mac, beyond those that are part of Apple regular updates sent out through Software Update.

I don't think the X3100 will be able to run the game, the test worked, but for the game itself it seems it can't handle the live version of having lots going on at the same time.

The log is in ~/Library/Application Support/Frictional Games/Amnesia/ so we can at least take a look at it, but I think it will be bad news!
09-16-2010, 06:11 AM
Website Find
elaisias Offline

That is really sad. I do have a PC but it's pretty old and doesn't have a suitable graphics card... and it's paid for and installed on this Mac. Would it be possible to transfer my copy of the game to someone else that can run it, or is it rights managed to my specific computer? The file installed to applications without asking for a license.
09-16-2010, 08:58 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

if you bought it from us you can send me your order details in a personal message and I will look at it!
09-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Website Find
elaisias Offline

It was a gift through Steam, actually, and I've never used that before either. It looks like I'd have to disable the account on my own computer for someone else to have the game, in which case I'm stuck... but I'm going to keep poking at it! Thank you for the prompt reply.
09-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Find
Urkle Offline
FG - Associate

Threads: 31

If you have the game via steam then you have can play it on a Mac or a Windows system with your steam login account as Amnesia is "Steam Play" enabled. (thus one purchase allows you to run it on both platforms)

Developing away on one of
Multiple Macs running 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9.
Linux, 8-core AMD, 8GB RAM, Fedora 18, nVidia 450 1GB
09-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Website Find
elaisias Offline

Ooh, really? Sorry, I've never had an issue running games before so I'm a little out of my depth. Let me see if my older computer's graphics can handle it, thank you! It's a 2002 machine with a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 and the system requirements for PC say GeForce 6, but it's worth a try before I pass it along.
09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Find