Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

bring Amnesia to the Iphone!!!
Zanderat Offline

Threads: 3
RE: bring Amnesia to the Iphone!!!

(09-16-2010, 06:41 PM)johndice Wrote: Frictional Games, congratulations for what I consider to be a milestone in horror games, and in interactive entertainment in general. This is the most immersive gaming experience in recent years for me.

I think that if you could overcome the technical hurdles (which the epic citadel demo from epic games showed that its doable), even though the reliance on physics is a tough nut to crack, this would be a perfect fit for the iphone/ipod touch (especially the newer devices)! The object manipulation and general "physical" interaction with the world could be a big hit on the touch screen, and the generally common use of headphones with these devices would be a perfect fit for the game. Also, in terms of controls, the best fps games on the appstore (like Nova from Gameloft) show that its perfectly doable, plus you dont have to worry about shooting controls/mechanics.

The appstore, although its gaining ground, it still is in its infancy as far as quality titles go, so your game should stand head and shoulders above almost anything else there. Plus, you would probably gain tons of popularity, and maybe even the potential piracy problem wouldnt be so big, because of the nature of the average iphone consumer (not nearly as tech savvy as the average pc gamer, which could well mean less piracy).

I'm hoping that, as a business venture, you'll find the iphone market a profitable one - its a HUGE market, and you really should do something about it!

Iphone isn't powerful enough. Neither is the Ipod or Ipad. Get real.
09-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

Epic Citadel is nice, ran it on my iPhone, but it's going to be a turn based action RPG. So, no FPS action. Still have to see if Epic Games will either create UT3 for iPhone like they did with the very early demo or if they indeed keep in mind that it is near impossible to create a shooter on the iPhone that can actually be played well. Also, Amnesia would be a whole new challenge to create on the iPhone, many things can't be done I'm afraid. And, how can Amnesia be changed so it is easier to control yet it remains the game-play quality the PC version has? I think the only way to get something nice on the iPhone is to create a whole new game exclusive for the iPhone, but I don't think, no offense, Frictional is ready for that. Just an opinion.

Would like to hear what Friction thinks of releasing Amnesia or making a game on the iPhone. Smile
09-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Find
johndice Offline

Threads: 1

(09-17-2010, 12:10 AM)Hionimi Wrote: Epic Citadel is nice, ran it on my iPhone, but it's going to be a turn based action RPG. So, no FPS action. Still have to see if Epic Games will either create UT3 for iPhone like they did with the very early demo or if they indeed keep in mind that it is near impossible to create a shooter on the iPhone that can actually be played well. Also, Amnesia would be a whole new challenge to create on the iPhone, many things can't be done I'm afraid. And, how can Amnesia be changed so it is easier to control yet it remains the game-play quality the PC version has? I think the only way to get something nice on the iPhone is to create a whole new game exclusive for the iPhone, but I don't think, no offense, Frictional is ready for that. Just an opinion.

Would like to hear what Friction thinks of releasing Amnesia or making a game on the iPhone. Smile

I agree that concessions would and should be made. That's why I stated first and foremost that there obviously are technical hurdles to overcome. After Epic's demo, the bar for overall presentation for games on that platform has been raised (and for all portable system for that matter). The big questions are how well the physics would be implemented, and how well the controls would work. A big thing is that we're not talking about a shooter. I think that the slower pace of the game, along with the absense of gunplay work in the favor of a possible port or "spin off". Also, clever use of the multitouch display could be enough to overcome many issues (like, how to slowly open a door while peeking through the opening). I think you're on the right track saying that a new game would be best - i just believe that in general, this kind of slower paced gameplay could work on that platform, much better than a shooter for that matter. Your cursor works as your in game hand, it makes sense to actually be able to use your own finger!

I have nothing to do with developing games, I dont know if its possible from a technical standpoint, I dont know if its possible from a financial standpoint - I just feel that if something like this was to happen, it could be huge. Until a few weeks ago, nobody would even remotely believe that something like that epic demo would run on a phone, and yet here we are. Maybe a game like Amnesia, where the "physical" interaction with the world is a key ingredient, could be the next big thing.
09-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Find
johndice Offline

The basic reason for me proposing something like this is that I hate it when I read that indie developers who are as talented as Frictional Games and produce such quality products, suffer due to slow, less-than-satisfactory sales. I'm really hoping that the game will pick up steam until year's end, but I feel that a touchscreen-based game based on the concepts of Amnesia could be really successful.

Along with my hopes of this forum growing up in some cases, comes the big hope that someone from Frictional Games reads this, or better yet, has already considered something similar.
(09-17-2010, 02:01 PM)SmokeSum Wrote:
(09-17-2010, 01:57 PM)johndice Wrote: The basic reason for me proposing something like this is that I hate it when I read that indie developers who are as talented as Frictional Games and produce such quality products, suffer due to slow, less-than-satisfactory sales. I'm really hoping that the game will pick up steam until year's end, but I feel that a touchscreen-based game based on the concepts of Amnesia could be really successful.

Along with my hopes of this forum growing up in some cases, comes the big hope that someone from Frictional Games reads this, or better yet, has already considered something similar.

Retard Big Grin
(09-16-2010, 09:19 PM)Petike Wrote: Is this a joke thread ? I hope so...

I think he smoked to much weed Big Grin

Really? Smokesum?

You're too much.

I hope that you're young enough to be in school - if thats the case, for your own sake, study.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2010, 02:13 PM by johndice.)
09-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

AGAIN ....

psp has enough power for Amnesia.
09-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Website Find
johndice Offline

(09-17-2010, 03:37 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: AGAIN ....

psp has enough power for Amnesia.

Have you read ANYTHING said above? Of course the psp has enough power, but its not about the power - its about the sales and piracy. Sales wise, the psp is not doing well, and as for piracy, its almost a given in the psp area. Since the iphone hardware has enough power to run complex stuff like the aforementioned demo, and since it has the TOUCHSCREEN (pretty much why I proposed the iphone in the first place), it would be the smarter move.

I own a psp, and apart from the excellent Peace Walker, there isnt much I enjoyed in many many months.

I was hoping for a productive conversation, and I'm unpleasantly surprised by the many narrow-minded, ignorant, fan-boyish answers.

Have fun guys.
09-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

Well, lets see, the PSP (3000) is 333MHz and has 64MB RAM, the iPhone 4 is 1GHz and has 512MB RAM... However, the iPhone also has to run a full OS, but maybe that's a piece of cake really. Tongue
09-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

(09-16-2010, 09:24 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: FORGET THE ABOVE AND bring it to PSP

Now we're talking. The PSP is at least more powerful than the iPhone, when it comes to apps like these.

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
09-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

oh well ,

bring it to both i-phone 4 and psp then Wink

ONLY THEN we can do some comparing ...

anyway here"s gta chinatown wars on both machines :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRgG28lGNUU

btw. i"m not a fanboy ...

....just a fellow gamer.

?
09-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Website Find
Zanderat Offline

Threads: 3

Does anybody here actually know anything about what they are talking about?
09-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Find