Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Yet Another WIP Thread
Entih Offline

Threads: 4
Yet Another WIP Thread

So I started work on this map yesterday primarily as a reason to feel out the editors compared to others I have used, as well as soak up some scripting functions while I'm at it. Seeing the thought behind this thing develop, I feel I might actually try to work on this to be a full on custom story, though it is unlikely I will finish it, haha.

Anywho I am 'half' following through on my plan on 'sharing' this when I scripted in the unique events I wanted to try myself with. I feel a movie is worth (and consists of at least) a thousand pictures. Billions of times better than words, at any rate.

Click Here for nifty Youtube video. Be sure to watch in HD!

Any suggestions or comments on what little exists so far (and trust me, the video shows pretty much everything at the point it was recorded)?

Fun facts:

There are, as of the point of development in the video, only 6-7 distinct 'rooms' created, but over 300 lines of scripting.

At the point where the door slams shut behind the player, I have scripted in 3 possibilities. This includes one to punish a player who attempts to barricade it open permanently.

I have too much time on my hands.
09-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Find
grahfcard Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Yet Another WIP Thread

Looking good. I like the rooms, they really look like they're straight out of the game, and not just for testing around the editor.
Did you have scripting experience before this or did you just pick it up? I've been trying to get my head around it, but most of the guides and tutorials are more complicated and assume I already know the basics.
09-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Find
Entih Offline

Threads: 4

Heh, thanks. The only room I killed myself making visually is the starting hall of the 'mansion' appearance, was excited to be trying a new appearance set after castle. The rest I am leaving at least somewhat bare until the whole is fleshed out.

I've done a lot of programming in C++, and this script is pretty much the exact same syntax, so I was able to jump right in. Once you have the hang of it, you can pull off some really nice and fancy stuff, I've noticed.

I imagine the guides and tutorials for scripting are the way they are currently because of how recently they were started and put up. If it helps, I might even advise looking into the basics of programming with C++, there are some good tutorials out there that should get you started, as long as you don't confuse the script here for straight out C++.
09-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Find
theDARKW0LF Offline

Threads: 17

Nicely done, I can see you have a good amount of previous experience there. Looking forward to playing it sometime.

Check out my custom stories(1)(2)!
09-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Find
Shinjou Offline

Threads: 0

I would Love to Try your custom story out Smile
It seems as if u have some experience with scripting Big Grin
Good job, i would love to see it finished Wink

Metal has three forms, Solid, Liquid, and Gas form... even water has these forms! HELL, ALLMOST EVERYTHING HAS THOSE FORMS! Thinking the way i do makes the world damn boring... everything is made of gasses T_T
09-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

Darn, makes me wish I could script, awesome job, the last part is really a "What the heeEEeEEell?!" moment. Tongue
09-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Find
Armored Cow Offline

Threads: 3

That scripting work at the end was very good!

Makes me feel like I haven't done anything. Your map design and scripting expertise made that beginning map pretty awesome!
09-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Find
Spudd Offline

Threads: 0

Holy hell I want to play this... this looks bloody brilliant.
09-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

OMFG!
Waiting for the full release!

09-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Website Find
vanjavk Offline

Threads: 5

heey are you any closer to release i need your map =) i need the thingy when you push the player

vanjavk
10-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Find