Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is screen res the only setting that affects my fps?
Kantorai Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Why is screen res the only setting that affects my fps?

I have an old laptop Vaio FE31H with a Nvidia GeForce Go 7400 GPU. In order to play Amnesia I have to lower the resolution to 640x400 (native 1280x800). Then I'll get a frame rate of about 20 fps which is playable (kind of). But I see no difference in fps if I change other graphics settings like texture res, shadow res, shadow qual to high, medium or low. Can't see any difference for texture filter, SSAO sample or Parallax either (haven't tried all settings for sample but I keep it low). If I change screen resolution to lets say 800x600 fps will drop to 10 and higher resolutions will result in even lower fps. All this is in fullscreen with anisotropy off and smooth edges off.

Shouldn't I see at least some improvement in fps with lower texture and shadow settings? Is Amnesia utilising my Nvida Go 7400 properly?

The launch window says "Video device: GeForce Go 7400/PCI/SSE2" and the hpl.log says:
Setting up OpenGL
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce Go 7400/PCI/SSE2
Version: 2.1.2

Your help or comments are most welcome.
/Kantorai
09-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Why is screen res the only setting that affects my fps?

Your graphics drivers are really old, try updating them.

(see A.1 for more info: http://frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html)
09-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Find
Kantorai Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Why is screen res the only setting that affects my fps?

The situation has not changed after updating to newer drivers (259.31 from August 2010). There might be drivers from September but since I have to rely on drivers with changed inf-files these were the newest I could find (Sony Vaio are too cheap to release new drivers for my card).
09-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Find