Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scripting / Coding
Soon Offline

Threads: 11
Scripting / Coding

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question regarding scripting and coding, I am brand new to scripting and I am about to start looking up information found in the wiki which refers to angelscript. Does it take a lot of time to figure out how to script?
09-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Scripting / Coding

Well, it helps pretty much when you actually programmed using a programming lanuage a bit already. I never read through the angelscript manual, as it looks pretty much like C++ (which I already knew a bit).
In case you never scripted before, you might actually load the developers' script files in a text editor and look how they've done it. They can be found in maps/main/ch01 and so on, the file extention is .hps
If you already completed the game you might see what effects different parts of the code had - if you can remember what happened in the different maps that is. Big Grin

[edit]
There is also a little scripting tutorial in the wiki, check it out if you didn't do already. Smile

09-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Find
Armored Cow Offline

Threads: 3

I had never looked or worked with code before this game, and to be honest, I don't recommend opening developers' levels' .hps files. It really didn't help me at all because there's so much there and it's all very confusing.

I would go through this section of the forum and read all of the threads about scripting and test out different scripts yourself and try to get them working. That's how I slowly learned. Now I'm actually competent enough to make some maps with semi-complex scripts by myself, and I had never even touched a computer language before.
09-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Find
Soon Offline

Threads: 11

Thanks for the posts! I hope to be competant with scripting very soon!
09-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Find