Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mod idea - for practice
AlexY Offline

Threads: 1
Information  Mod idea - for practice

Hello everyone! I'll spare you the usual introduction where I'm a big fan of Frictional and so on, so let's get down to business.

Please note: This is only an idea. Nothing more. I'm only looking for input and hope for other ideas to pop up.

I was jumping with glee and smattered with joy when it was revealed Amnesia would get a level editor. I see fine examples of level craftsmanship already, and everyone is getting busy with codes, scripting and editing and whatnot.

Now, I know it's still really really really early since it's only been released and you're all still learning - but this is exactly why I think the following idea would work.

A practice mod done by interested forum members. And I don't mean just making a custom map, putting some notes and a monster or two. I'm talking a full-blown, voice-acting+custom models/assets scenario. Nothing professional, mind you - just to see it can be done.

I got the idea while reading (well wouldn't ya know it) Lovecraft. There's lots of stories like Dagon and Call of Cthulhu that are very short yet provide foundation for the mythos and are excellent material to build around them. For instance, Dagon is a suicide note written by a man who found an ancient artifact and is followed by an otherworldly kraken-like entity - he supposedly kills himself before it reaches him by jumping out the window - supposedly. A short and very mad epilogue could be made here.

Basically, here's the thing: interested parties would get together (via these forums, or moddb, or whatever way you choose), decide on a story and either build upon it, retell it or reinvision it, and in the same time, practicing certain code or modeling that would fit with their current interests or more complex projects. Think of this as a sandbox where you get to prepare for the real thing. Each story would be SHORT (two-three small-to-medium levels tops) and focused on one or two concepts you'd like to try out.

In the end, we'd get several Lovecraft (or any other horror stories, your pick) interactive novellas that we could merge together into a compilation. This could be a yearly thing or something.

I myself, for example, don't have much understanding for the level editor and the technical process in general - I've never been a part of mod creation at all - but I would gladly do voice acting (somehow), story, writing, maybe even music (somehow)... It would depend on what the interest would be I guess.

So, anyway, in short; collab effort, just for practice, very short and exploring one individual idea at a time while keeping a certain dose of consistency.

And be honest, I have no idea whether this is too much all at once. Maybe I'm just so excited about the possibilities it's getting to me.
09-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Find
theDARKW0LF Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Mod idea - for practice

Sounds interesting, though I only have level design skills, and an ounce of script, but that's it.

Check out my custom stories(1)(2)!
09-18-2010, 04:54 AM
Find
Bek Offline

Threads: 4

Sounds interesting - If a clear plan could be made once enough interested parties / ideas are thrown about it could work.
09-18-2010, 05:26 AM
Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

(09-17-2010, 02:27 PM)AlexY Wrote: .................
Please note: This is only an idea. Nothing more. I'm only looking for input and hope for other ideas to pop up...............
..................And be honest, I have no idea whether this is too much all at once. Maybe I'm just so excited about the possibilities it's getting to me.

Yep, it's probably just that, the excitement about the possibilities.
I too am excited. I like Morrowind and Oblivion modding.

The very first step to getting a team is to have a great story idea that is fleshed out with it's background story, main characters, settings and ideas.
Write it all up with lots of details about how and why it'll work.
Then assemble a team who are as excited as you are and give them definite jobs with target dates for each step and keep the development rate flowing.
over the years I've seen a number of modder's collaborations fail for lack of strong direction and discipline.
But also I have seen great things from small teams as well.
http://oblivion.silgrad.com/ is a good example.
Keep it up and get the ideas flowing.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Find