Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
noob question - how do i play a custom story???
moneylife Offline

Threads: 2
noob question - how do i play a custom story???

Please help, I am lost here. I might have a crack at programming one soon but I wanna play a few first. I downloaded one called The Darkness and it looks a bit like a Visual Studio Project..

How do I run it through Anmesia???

Thanks Guys
09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
RE: noob question - how do i play a custom story???

You extract the contents of the zip file ( it is a zip?) into the custom_stories directory within the amnesia game directory, then you can play the custom story by using the custom story option in the main menu.
09-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Website Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7

Is this method the same for the Mac version?

Wow - what a mansion!
09-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

I can't recall at the moment, but either Edward did it so that you make a custom_stories folder next to the Amnesia.app or you right-click on it, Show Package Contest and then navigate down into the hiearchy (sorry can't recall the exact path) until you find the folder that has all the game data, there you should find a custom_stories (or you might be able to create one).

Or maybe you can create a folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Frictional Games/Amnesia/

Sorry but can't recall what was decided and do not have amnesia installed on the Mac right now.
09-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Website Find
Bulbatron Offline

Well I found a custom stories folder by looking at the package contents of the Amnesia app. I think it was

AMNESIA / Contents / Resources / custom_stories

So I dragged 'TheDarkness.rar' into the custom_stories folder, but it still doesn't show up on the Custom Stories menu.

When I examine the 'TheDarkness.rar' file it says it is an iTunes Document, so maybe that's why it won't show up?

Anyway, any further help would be much appreciated as I loved the main game it so it will be great to get more maps from other users.

Once again, I'm sorry for being what is probably becoming a persistent pain in the arse.

Wow - what a mansion!
09-21-2010, 01:52 AM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-21-2010, 01:52 AM)Bulbatron Wrote: Well I found a custom stories folder by looking at the package contents of the Amnesia app. I think it was

AMNESIA / Contents / Resources / custom_stories

So I dragged 'TheDarkness.rar' into the custom_stories folder, but it still doesn't show up on the Custom Stories menu.

When I examine the 'TheDarkness.rar' file it says it is an iTunes Document, so maybe that's why it won't show up?

Anyway, any further help would be much appreciated as I loved the main game it so it will be great to get more maps from other users.

Once again, I'm sorry for being what is probably becoming a persistent pain in the arse.

You have to extract the contents of the RAR into the custom_stories directory.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Find
Neurological Offline

Threads: 11

The problem is just one, RAR format is not supported by Mac. Only zip, you might ask the author of the mod to pack it into a zip so everyone can play it Win/Mac/Linux, RAR = only windows.

Neurological - Music Entertainment
http://www.neuro-lab.net
09-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

(09-21-2010, 02:19 AM)Neurological Wrote: The problem is just one, RAR format is not supported by Mac. Only zip, you might ask the author of the mod to pack it into a zip so everyone can play it Win/Mac/Linux, RAR = only windows.

Oh, right. OK then. Cheers.

Wow - what a mansion!
09-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

I use http://www.unrarx.com/ for rar files on Mac.
09-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Website Find
Bulbatron Offline

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look at that but as usual, I didn't really understand what I was doing, so I think I'll stick with Neurological's suggestion.

Wow - what a mansion!
09-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Find