Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Conversion Question
mansarde Offline

Threads: 3
Full Conversion Question

Hi, I'm having a bit of a problem and I wondered if anyone could help me out.

I tried to create a Full Conversion-Test like it is described in the wiki.
These were my steps:
1. Created "myFullConversion" folder in \redist
2. Copied "main_init.cfg" to "myFullConversion" and renamed it to "main_init_myFullConversion.cfg"
3. Created "maps" folder in "myFullConversion"
4. Created "main" folder in "myFullConversion\maps"
5. Copied all map files (testMap.map, testMap.hpl, ...) into "myFullConversion\maps\main"
6. Changed "File" to "testMap.map" and "Folder" to "myFullConversion/maps/main/"
7. Executed "amnesia.exe myFullConversion/main_init_myFullConversion.cfg"
8. Ingame I setup a new user and try to start a new game
9. It crashed, telling me it can't find "myFullConversion\maps\main\testMap.map"

Other things I tried:
- Since I'm using Windows 7, I also tried to start the game with administrator priviledges -> same error
- Copied everything to the "Documents\Amnesia" folder -> same error
- Copied everything to the "AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Amnesia - The Dark Descent\redist" folder -> same error

I don't know what else to do. And my problem is that I don't have the slightest idea if either my path in the main config is wrong and/or the placement of my map files is wrong?
Are the path names in the config file always relative to the redist mainpath?
Or to the MOD-Path? Or....?

Does anyone know something about this? Huh
09-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10
RE: Full Conversion Question

It could be the path, you don't need to include the folder the .exe is located in. (?)

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
09-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Find
mansarde Offline

Threads: 3

(09-25-2010, 01:07 AM)Frontcannon Wrote: It could be the path, you don't need to include the folder the .exe is located in. (?)

As Path for the "maps" variable in the config file I tried the following:

- "myFullConversion/maps/main/"
- "maps/main/"
- "C:/Program Files (x86)/Amnesia - The Dark Descent/redist/myFullConversion/maps/main/"
- "C:/Users/Patrick/AppData/Local/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86)/Amnesia - The Dark Descent/redist/myFullConversion/maps/main/"
- "C:/Users/Patrick/Documents/Amnesia/myFullConversion/maps/main/"

In the places where I've put them in "myFullConversion/maps/main/" I could also try to put them only into "maps/main".
And/Or I could replace all the slashes with backslashes.

But since there are 3 possible places where to put them, multiplied by 2 possible directory structures to put them in (myFullConversion/maps/main/ or just maps/main) multiplied by 2 possible ways to address them in the config file (absolute path or relative path), there are at least 12 possibilities.

I just thought someone might know already WHERE to put them and then HOW to declare the path inside the config file in relation to that location, before I attempt to try every single possibility of which I have not the slightest idea if there are even more possibilities, or perhaps the problem might be somewhere completely different. Sad

At least the log-file says that it can't find the file, even though it IS in ".../redist/myFullConversion/maps/main". I also looked for such silly things as typos, but found none. Isn't there anyone who hasn't already tried out to make a full conversion structure and was successfull?
Until then I guess I just have to try other combinations, however much there may be... Confused

But thanks for your attempt to help, Frontcannon. I appreciate it. Smile

EDIT:
Alright! I finally found out how to get it to work, and I will tell you all about it. But before that I'll do some further testing to confirm everything and then write up a small tutorial. This tutorial SHOULD then apply to all Windows 7 Users.
*phew* I was about to bash my head against the keyboard.^^
-------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT 2:
Ok, most of this is in the Wiki already, but there are specific things I'll add which are NOT included in the Wiki, but which are very important!
Note: I will refer to the full path of your Amnesia folder simply as "amnesia" instead as "C:\Program Files\blabla...\Amnesia\".
This Tutorial is for Windows 7. Since I'm using a 64bit OS my Amnesia Folder will be in "Program Files(x86)". If you're using 32bit, then yours will be in "Program Files"
  • Create a folder for your full conversion in the "amnesia\redist" folder.
    Example:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Amnesia - The Dark Descent\redist\myFullConversion
    I will refer to this folder as "myFullConversion" from now on.
    If you use the Steam version then you PROBABLY have to put it directly inside "amnesia" (where the amnesia.exe resides), because that version doesn't have a redist folder.

• Put all of your maps into "myFullConversion\maps". You can also make subfolders in that folder to organize all of your maps.
  • In general: The folder structure inside your "myFullConversion" is considered the root, like how "redist" is considered the root for the main game.

Now, I've put my maps into that folder before, but for some reason it didn't work. Multiple times.
The suddenly it just worked, as if the game said: "Oh, the maps are here after all!". But I guess it must've been an error on my part, because that doesn't make any sense.^^
Perhaps it only worked in tandem with the correct "saves" folder working? I have no idea. What's important is that it now works how I describe it here.

Now let's get to the config file:
  • Copy the "main_init.cfg" file from "amnesia\redist\config" (for Steam: leave the "redist" out) and put it inside your "myFullConversion" folder.
  • Rename it to something like "main_init_myFullConversion.cfg" (don't know if this is necessary, but... you know).
  • Edit it:
    • Under "<StartMap" change "File" to the FILENAME of your start map, e.g. "testMap.map"
    • Change "Folder" to "myFullConversion/maps/"
      That means the game will try to load your first map as:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Amnesia - The Dark Descent\redist\myFullConversion\maps\testMap.map
    • Under "<Directories" change the "MainSaveFolder" to where you want it to save your profiles to.
      VERY IMPORTANT: The game won't create subfolders you enter here!
      So this means you can't write e.g. "myFullConversion/saves/"
      If you do this then the game will start alright, but you can't create a profile and will have to exit the game again.
      So only write ONE folder here, like e.g. "myFullConversionSaves/"

Alright, this should cover the basics to create a sort of skeleton folder structure for your full conversion endeavors. If there are any questions left, don't hesitate to ask, I'm happy to help now that I found out for myself.
Me -> Happy Big Grin
09-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20

I'm trying to run the full conversion mod, but its loading the default game

I've tried creating a shortcut to open;
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\Amnesia.exe" Asylum/main_init_asylum.cfg
Plays the normal game and default story (Asylum/main_init_asylum.cfg DOES exist)
and
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\Amnesia.exe" -Asylum/main_init_asylum.cfg
Error: Could not load main init file: -Asylum/main_init_asylum.cfg

I thought of making a .bat run but its been a long time since I did .bat programs
and personally I'd prefer having an icon

all I can think is that I have overlooked something in the main_init_asylum.cfg file and its loading the default game so i've included it here
<ConfigFiles
    Resources = "resources.cfg"
    Materials = "materials.cfg"

Game = "config/game.cfg"
    Menu = "config/menu.cfg"
    PreMenu = "config/pre_menu.cfg"
    Demo = "config/demo.cfg"

DefaultMainSettings = "config/default_main_settings.cfg"

DefaultMainSettingsLow = "launcher/default_main_settings_low.cfg"
    DefaultMainSettingsMedium = "launcher/default_main_settings_medium.cfg"
    DefaultMainSettingsHigh = "launcher/default_main_settings_high.cfg"

DefaultUserSettings = "config/default_user_settings.cfg"
    DefaultUserKeys        = "config/default_user_keys.cfg"

DefaultBaseLanguage = "base_english.lang"
    DefaultGameLanguage = "english.lang"
/>

<Directories  
    MainSaveFolder = "saved_asylum_games"

BaseLanguageFolder = "config/"        
    GameLanguageFolder = "config/lang_main/"

CustomStoryPath = "addons"
/>

<Variables
    GameName = "Asylum: The Darkness"
/>

<StartMap
    File = "world_intro.map"
    Folder = "maps/main/"
    Pos = "Begin"
/>
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2011, 03:46 AM by DIGI Byte.)
01-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Find
DIGI Byte Offline

Threads: 20

Update:

I'm temporarily making a hack over the default game, It's having trouble finding the asylum/main_init_asylum.cfg

right now, my mod runs the default (modified) main_init.cfg and runs a custom menu_asylum.cfg, anyway, I have edited the default menu map and made my own

However, for some reason its just a black screen, maybe it didn't find the map specifically, but I can load it manually VIA Debug menu, works fine.

just wish it was working for the main menu as well
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2011, 03:53 PM by DIGI Byte.)
01-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Find