Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Model Help
Zack11 Offline

Threads: 1
Custom Model Help

Okay so i'm attempting to create some custom models for Amnesia with almost no modelling experience at all, in retrospect, not a good idea...

I discovered that the models are all .dae files and I know that these can be opened in Google Sketchup, so I did just that.

I opened one of the doorway models and alterted it slightly and then exported it as a .dae file again and attempted to import this into the Model Editor, The problem is the model is completely invisible... I've tried applying a material to it but it still remains invisible Sad

The answer to this problem is probably incredibly obvious but as I said i'm a complete amatuer and blender confused the hell out of me, I'd be incredibly happy if I were able to make all my models in sketchup as I have plans for a mod in a more modern setting and only having my custom textures on planes isn't that great.
09-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Find
Neurological Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Custom Model Help

(09-26-2010, 06:20 PM)Zack11 Wrote: Okay so i'm attempting to create some custom models for Amnesia with almost no modelling experience at all, in retrospect, not a good idea...

I discovered that the models are all .dae files and I know that these can be opened in Google Sketchup, so I did just that.

I opened one of the doorway models and alterted it slightly and then exported it as a .dae file again and attempted to import this into the Model Editor, The problem is the model is completely invisible... I've tried applying a material to it but it still remains invisible Sad

The answer to this problem is probably incredibly obvious but as I said i'm a complete amatuer and blender confused the hell out of me, I'd be incredibly happy if I were able to make all my models in sketchup as I have plans for a mod in a more modern setting and only having my custom textures on planes isn't that great.

Before exporting the model you have to add a diffuse material on the 3d app. Now I don't know how google sketchup handle this as i never used it.

Neurological - Music Entertainment
http://www.neuro-lab.net
09-26-2010, 08:28 PM
Find
enk Offline

Threads: 0

Does the .MAT point to a texture with the same name and in the same folder as the .dae?
the .mat file also needs to be in the same folder with same name.
Add a mat file using the model editor, save it, and re-import the mesh.

'type' is solid-diffuse, and select diffuse texture as the texture you want to use. The mat file will tell the model editor which texture to use.
09-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Find
Zack11 Offline

Right thanks for your help guys, I've discovered the problem. As it turns out, my model was not invisible just INSANELY HUGE. I just had to scale it down.

What I would like help with now is the size, I imported my model from sketchup into blender and then imported a wall from the game, the size difference was huge. I scaled it down to the same size and exported it again but it was still huge when I put it into the Model Editor, I' not sure how to make stay the right size.

I also have no idea how to texture...
09-27-2010, 05:13 PM
Find
enk Offline

Quote:I also have no idea how to texture...

Do you mean make a texture itself?
I highly recommend gimp. Just play around with drawing stuff, making layers and bump mapping. You can get a plugin for .dds files, and normal maps.

If you already have textures, here's how I got them to show in editor. Mine were invisible too until I made a .mat file.

make a .mat file in the model editor.
Click on your model, down where it says mat there's a '+' sign.
Click it, this opens the material editor.
Make the type solid diffuse, tick the diffuse box and select your texture. Make sure the texture has the same name as your .dae file and is in the same folder.
Go file, save as and save it with the same name as everything else, in the same folder.

In model editor, next to where it says mat, click the '...' button, now select the .mat file you just created.

Save it and close.
Now when you open the model editor again, you can import mesh and your model should be textured. Click the 'gears' button down the bottom to view how it will look in game.

If it's invisible, this might be a problem with how the model has exported. In blender (and 3dsmax I believe) The model needs to be 'unwrapped' before it can be textured.
I'm new to this stuff as well so I'm still learning it.
I've been able to blender stuff working for simple things, I made a post in the thread 'new tutorials' explaining how I did it.
09-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Find
Zack11 Offline

(09-27-2010, 06:08 PM)enk Wrote:
Quote:I also have no idea how to texture...

Do you mean make a texture itself?

Oh no I know how to create textures, normal maps, specular maps etc, I just don't know how to put them onto a model.

I'll try all this again and see If I can get it working properly, and then try and figure out a way to texture, I appreciate all of your help
09-27-2010, 06:40 PM
Find
Evil Ash Offline

(09-27-2010, 05:13 PM)Zack11 Wrote: Right thanks for your help guys, I've discovered the problem. As it turns out, my model was not invisible just INSANELY HUGE. I just had to scale it down.

What I would like help with now is the size, I imported my model from sketchup into blender and then imported a wall from the game, the size difference was huge. I scaled it down to the same size and exported it again but it was still huge when I put it into the Model Editor, I' not sure how to make stay the right size.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same issue exporting from 3D Studio Max 2009 using any DEA exporter (OpenCOLLADA, Autodesk COLLADA, etc.)

No matter how I scale the model in 3DSM, it is INSANELY huge when I import the DAE into the Model Editor.

Anybody else experience this, or know why?

[Image: revelationsig.png]
10-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Find
Evil Ash Offline

Actually I just realized the issue.

To anybody having their models export way too big, uncheck the BAKE MATRICES option.

However I now notice an issue where the origin of the model is below the floor, so when I add a model it shows up under the axis and backwards. Almost like the origin is getting reversed.

However, reversing the model does not change this. I tried various export settings, and modifying the actual origin of the model in 3DSM, to no avail...

Once again, any ideas?

10-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Find
Alienchild Offline

Threads: 8

After scaling the model in max and before exporting, go to the Utilities tab (the button thingy that looks like a hammer) and select Reset XForm -> Reset Selected. THEN export it.
10-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Find
Evil Ash Offline

Cha-ching. My hero.

I was manually playing around with the XForm modifier, I didn't know that quick reset was there.

Thanks. Now I can start pumping out models.

10-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Find