Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locked door problem.
Som1Lse Offline

Threads: 9
Locked door problem.

I have a simple level with four rooms.
Everything works perfectly, enemies appear when they should, sanity is given at the correct moments etc.
There is however one problem.

When you try to open a locked door a enemy is activated and destroy the door and you have to sneak past it and open another door.
No problem there.
My problem is that when the enemy breaks free, another door closes. Thats also fully intended but in case the enemy kills you you re spawn at the other side of the door and it is locked, thus you cant complete the level and have to start over.

I have searched but I didnt find any answer to my problem.
09-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Website Find
HakePT Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Locked door problem.

(09-28-2010, 06:16 PM)Someone else Wrote: I have searched but I didnt find any answer to my problem.

A simple solution would be to change the level design so that doesn't occur.

A more intricate solution would be to script so that if the player dies that door unlocks.

I recommend you either:

-Create another room (small storage or room) and place the spawn there. The room itself is only used to maybe place items and spawn the player if he dies.
This is the simple solution.

-Create an area in the place where the player spawns after he dies that unlocks the door on collision with the player (script event).

I don't know the consequences of either solution because I don't how your level is but you should be able to choose one and adapt it to your level.
09-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Find
Som1Lse Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Locked door problem.

(09-28-2010, 11:34 PM)HakePT Wrote: -Create an area in the place where the player spawns after he dies that unlocks the door on collision with the player (script event).
Thanks.
That worked perfectly.

Now however the door which is destroyed isnt there any more, after you die.
I went on using a different solution for that as well (creating the door and enemy manually) but the door still exists when destroyed (the hinge is still there).
So now I need a way to destroy a specific entity. (and yes I have searched the functions list, and I didnt find anything)
09-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Website Find