Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What combination is the way to go?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
English text + English voice
30.77%
4 30.77%
English text + Norwegian voice
69.23%
9 69.23%
Norwegian text + Norwegian voice
0%
0 0%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any interest in custom story with foreign language narration? + approach
Slith Offline

Threads: 4
Any interest in custom story with foreign language narration? + approach

I remember reading that some players of amnesia though it would be nice to have Swedish or some other scandinavian language during the narrations in Amnesia. I thought I'd just check if the interest is still there and your guys opinion on how it could work.

One of the definate pros of doing it in my native language (Norwegian) is the probability of greatly improved acting. But I'm also concerned about how it would be experienced by someone who doesn't speak the language. I'd just like to know your guys opinion Smile

(If possible it could be cool to give the player the option pre-hand (english voice + english text, norwegian voice + english text or norwegian voice + norwegian text for norwegians Smile If anyone knows how to do this, let me know Wink )

Of course the story would be set in Norway Big Grin
09-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Any interest in custom story with foreign language narration? + approach

I remember playing a mod for Half-Life 2 called "Ravenholm," where the developers were from the Czech Republic. All of the narration was in Czech, but it included English subtitles (the translations contained many spelling and grammatical errors, but was very much understandable).

Of course, modding for Half-Life is entirely different from modding for Amnesia. In Half-Life, the main mechanic revolves around shooting things, and can be enjoyed universally, whereas Amnesia is mainly about the storytelling (and horror), and the communicating of ideas to the player. If the player can't understand you, then he can't have as much fun with it.

In my opinion, you should do whatever you see fit. If doing narration in Norwegian is easier for you to get your ideas across, then go for it. If you feel that doing narration in English will expand your target audience, at the cost of dulling the imagery and meaning of your words, then that should be entirely your decision.

I voted Norwegian voice with English subtitles, because I personally would like to be able to enjoy your mod, but you should do whatever is reasonable to you.
09-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

Threads: 2

Nothing more to add. Wink

09-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Find
Hannibal Offline

Threads: 2

Quote:Nothing more to add.

Ditto. Smile
09-30-2010, 02:30 AM
Find
sTiKy Offline

Threads: 1

The best part about voice recording in a language foreign to English is that you can mask poor quality voice actors, since it's harder for us to understand the subtleties of the language. So I'd say unless you have top notch English voice actors stick with your native tongue.
09-30-2010, 02:41 AM
Find
HakePT Offline

As long as the voices sound authentic sure. Its supposed to be a medieval castle/remote village type scenario so non-English voices are expected, and can even add to the immersion making the player really feel he is in that place.

Just make sure to have good voice actors English or not.
Bad voice acting in a horror game is like bad food at a restaurant.
09-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I voted for the english. Tongue

(09-30-2010, 09:16 AM)HakePT Wrote: Bad voice acting in a horror game is like bad food at a restaurant.

Bad voice acting in every game is bad thing. (My opinion)

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2010, 11:15 AM by Yuhaney.)
09-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Website Find
kuato Offline

bad voice acting in games is like stuff in a thing that is always full of stuff
09-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Find
Slith Offline

Thank you so much for the response so far Wink

I think I'll give Norwegian narrations a go. Making short movies, etc. at an amateur basis might give me an upper hand when instructing voice actors. But please keep opinions coming inn! Either to strenghten or change my opinion Wink And in any case, if I get too many complaints I will definately do it the other way around. I'll already have a ready script anyways, having to write the translation in the notes Rolleyes
09-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Find
HakePT Offline

(09-30-2010, 11:14 AM)Scraper Wrote: I voted for the english. Tongue

(09-30-2010, 09:16 AM)HakePT Wrote: Bad voice acting in a horror game is like bad food at a restaurant.

Bad voice acting in every game is bad thing. (My opinion)

Yeah but in a hack and slash game voice acting isn't that important. Horror games live or die by immersion making the player feel he/she is there.
If Daniel said: "ho look monster! good idea to hide before he claws my face!" the game wouldn't be scary.
Hence why i call the monster's Mr Shambles! now 30% less scary.
09-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Find