Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

HPL Sound Test (Windows)
Luis Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 19
HPL Sound Test (Windows)

Hi there!

We have recently switched to OpenAL as sound API, and we wanted to release this little test App to the public, so that we can know how nicely OpenAL is supported over there.

DOWNLOAD the HPL Sound Test

EDIT: OpenAL DLLs now included in the package, so you dont have to download anything.

After the test, we would appreciate if you take a little survey, thing you can do in two different ways:

- One, you can write a reply to this thread, answering the questions below.

- Two, you can send us an email to audiotest@frictionalgames.com, including a filled in copy of the 'Audio Test Form.txt' file which is packaged along with the test App.

Either way, you should also include a copy of the 'hpl.log' file the App will generate in its own folder.

Please make sure that you are using the latest drivers for your sound card, or at least some which you know will work correctly with OpenAL before running the test.

Now on to the questions:

0. Overall questions
---------------------

Q0.1. What are your computer specs? Please include Graphics card, Sound card and speaker setup (Hardware and configuration, ie: 5.1 configured at 2.1 output), and DirectX versions too. This all can be checked by running 'dxdiag' (Start Menu -> Run -> dxdiag)

Q0.2. Have you tried some other games which use OpenAL? And how did they perform?

Q0.3. Did the test run on your computer? If not, please write down any error messages you got.

Q0.4. Did it play sound throughout the tests at all?

Q0.5. Did you notice any glitches/strange noises in any of the tests?

1. Positional Audio Test Questions
------------------------------------

Q1.1. When any of the moving sources are playing, are they panning correctly?

Q1.2. Source 1 gets close and away from the you while it floats around, this should be noticed by changes in the sound volume when playing. Is this working this way for you?

Q1.3. When Source 2 is playing, the SubWoofer should play too, independently of the Source position. Is this working correctly for you?

Q1.4. The ambient sound should play through all the speakers, no matter where you are looking at. Does this work OK?

2. GUI Sound Test Questions
-----------------------------

Q2.1. The GUI Sound should come from the front speakers only. Does this work Correctly for you? If not, explain how it is doing.

Q2.2. Try pressing the "Play Sample" button quickly several times. Does this produce any glitches in the output?

3. Stream Test Questions
--------------------------

Q3.1. Did the stream play correctly? From which speakers did the output come?

--------
Also, if you find any bugs or anything that feels wrong, don't hesitate to tell us! That would be very kind of you Wink

Thanks a lot for testing Smile
12-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Find
Sepai Offline

Threads: 10
RE: HPL Sound Test (Windows)

I'm not much of an audiophile or any thing but here is my answers
cheers

0. Overall questions
---------------------
Q0.1. What are your computer specs? Please include Graphics card, Sound card and speaker setup (Hardware and configuration, ie: 5.1 configured at 2.1 output), and DirectX versions too. This all can be checked by running 'dxdiag' (Start Menu -> Run -> dxdiag)
Nvidia 7800gt, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4, 5.1 speaker setup running 5.1 output, DX9.0c
and i think cpu and ram is kinda important AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+, 1 Gb of ram

Q0.2. Have you tried some other games which use OpenAL? And how did they perform?
Well have had Quake 4 that used it and it ran fine but i didn't have this sound set up back then and was using on board then but i gave the copy back to my friend once i finished it so now i have no idea how it would run
Q0.3. Did the test run on your computer? If not, please write down any error messages you got.
yes it ran good
Q0.4. Did it play sound throughout the tests at all?
yes
Q0.5. Did you notice any glitches/strange noises in any of the tests?
no glitches or any thing  strange happened

Q1.1. When any of the moving sources are playing, are they panning correctly?
yep all worked good
Q1.2. Source 1 gets close and away from the you while it floats around, this should be noticed by changes in the sound volume when playing. Is this working this way for you?
yes it was subtle but was there
Q1.3. When Source 2 is playing, the SubWoofer should play too, independently of the Source position. Is this working correctly for you?
yep absolutely :D
Q1.4. The ambient sound should play through all the speakers, no matter where you are looking at. Does this work OK?
The front center speaker didn't play it but all other one's is working

Q2.1. The GUI Sound should come from the front speakers only. Does this work Correctly for you? If not, explain how it is doing.
rear l/r  and front l/r and sub played it but center speaker was not working
Q2.2. Try pressing the "Play Sample" button quickly several times. Does this produce any glitches in the output?
it mad my shelf rattle *sniggers*

3. Stream Test Questions
Q3.1. Did the stream play correctly? From which speakers did the output come?
all but sub but i don't think the sub needed to be used
12-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Find
Rowedekhelicon
Unregistered

H-K Wrote:Q0.1. What are your computer specs? Please include Graphics card, Sound card and speaker setup (Hardware and configuration, ie: 5.1 configured at 2.1 output), and DirectX versions too. This all can be checked by running 'dxdiag' (Start Menu -> Run -> dxdiag)
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX 512 (ForceWare v91.31)
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum (Driver v5.12.2.1143)
Speakers: 5.1 configured at 5.1 output
DirectX: 9.0c

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
RAM: 1GB

H-K Wrote:Q0.2. Have you tried some other games which use OpenAL? And how did they perform?
Yes, I have, and they've all performed brilliantly.

H-K Wrote:Q0.3. Did the test run on your computer? If not, please write down any error messages you got.
Ran perfectly and without any hassle.

H-K Wrote:Q0.4. Did it play sound throughout the tests at all?
It played sound all times it was supposed to, and conversely it was silent when it was supposed to be, as well.

H-K Wrote:Q0.5. Did you notice any glitches/strange noises in any of the tests?
None at all.

H-K Wrote:Q1.1. When any of the moving sources are playing, are they panning correctly?
Yes. I've found a new program with which to test my speaker balance and arrangement. ^_^

H-K Wrote:Q1.2. Source 1 gets close and away from the you while it floats around, this should be noticed by changes in the sound volume when playing. Is this working this way for you?
Eh, I was listening for that, but the effect was either not working at all or else it wasn't pronounced enough. It's difficult to tell, though, because the trickling water sample loops at about the same rate as the dot is bouncing back and forth. Unless you move the mouse to keep the dot centered on a particular speaker then it's difficult to tell whether it's the sample itself varying in amplitude or whether it's because of the movements of the dot. You need to be using a longer sample for that test - or else one that has a sustained amplitude.

H-K Wrote:Q1.3. When Source 2 is playing, the SubWoofer should play too, independently of the Source position. Is this working correctly for you?
Works perfectly.

H-K Wrote:Q1.4. The ambient sound should play through all the speakers, no matter where you are looking at. Does this work OK?
Yes, however the rear channels could use a substantial boost. While they may technically have the same output volume as the other speakers, the rear speakers have to work a little harder to achieve a proper balance. I believe this is due to the fact that in a 5.1 speaker configuration there are three speakers in front while there are only two in back. That 3:2 ratio must be counterbalanced. As the test is now I had to lean back to hear the rear speakers. All of my speakers are equidistant from my chair, but while sitting normally the ambient loop seems only to be coming from the front.

Maybe if it weren't playing from the center speaker that would make it all better, too... Wink

H-K Wrote:Q2.1. The GUI Sound should come from the front speakers only. Does this work Correctly for you? If not, explain how it is doing.
No, actually it is playing from all speakers. (though at first it did seem only to be coming from the front because of the issue I detailed in my previous response)

H-K Wrote:Q2.2. Try pressing the "Play Sample" button quickly several times. Does this produce any glitches in the output?
No glitches. Sounds great.

H-K Wrote:Q3.1. Did the stream play correctly? From which speakers did the output come?
The stream played and looped perfectly. It played from all 5 speakers and the subwoofer. The center speaker's balance seemed much lower than the other speakers (I even had to hold my ear up against it), which was perfect. It really helped balance out the surround sound effect.
01-02-2007, 07:59 AM
gamgam2 Offline

Threads: 23

x.x I can't really answer most of these, I use headphones and I don't know my computer specs.
But it's interesting, I didn't get any bugs with it as far as I can tell.

Sometimes, if you look carefully at a wall for a few minutes, you'll realize you wasted some time.  It's true.
01-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Website Find
CrazyCanuck Offline

Threads: 3

0. Overall questions
---------------------

Q0.1. What are your computer specs?GeForce 6200, Celeron D 2.66 ghz, 5.1 speakers, with a 5.1 card, and im using direct x9. Oh and the audio program I use is Audio program I use is Vinyl Deck.

Q0.2. Have you tried some other games which use OpenAL? And how did they perform?I'm really not sure if I have..

Q0.3. Did the test run on your computer? If not, please write down any error messages you got. It ran perfectly

Q0.4. Did it play sound throughout the tests at all? Yes.

Q0.5. Did you notice any glitches/strange noises in any of the tests? Nope

Q1.1. When any of the moving sources are playing, are they panning correctly? Did for me.

Q1.2. Source 1 gets close and away from the you while it floats around, this should be noticed by changes in the sound volume when playing. Is this working this way for you? That's how it worked for me.

Q1.3. When Source 2 is playing, the SubWoofer should play too, independently of the Source position. Is this working correctly for you? Ya my sub. worked.

Q1.4. The ambient sound should play through all the speakers, no matter where you are looking at. Does this work OK? Worked fine.

Q2.1. The GUI Sound should come from the front speakers only. Does this work Correctly for you? If not, explain how it is doing. No it did not. It just came from all of my speajers.

Q2.2. Try pressing the "Play Sample" button quickly several times. Does this produce any glitches in the output? It cut out the remaining part from the sound before.

3. Stream Test Questions

Q3.1. Did the stream play correctly? From which speakers did the output come? Played correctly, and it came from all of the speakers.

--------
Also, if you find any bugs or anything that feels wrong, don't hesitate to tell us! That would be very kind of you Wink
Didn't find any bugs.

Thanks a lot for testing Smile
No problemSmile
[/quote]
01-07-2007, 03:40 AM
Find