Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Idea Thread
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
Lightbulb  The Idea Thread

[Image: LZvVU1r.gif]

General idea sharing thread. Post your ideas, get constructive criticism and review other people's ideas as well.

You don't have to have a prototype but they are always welcome! Tongue

For me, I want to be able to recreate a small part of my neighborhood in something like UE4 or Unity 5. You would be able to learn of the area's history and culture and it would be freely available on Steam or other sites for educational purposes. Heart
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2016, 11:14 PM by A.M Team.)
06-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: The Idea Thread

One thing I always thought of was creating a Runescape version of Minecraft. I know there are several projects doing it though, but I haven't really checked them in detail.

Back in MC beta 1.7.3, a friend and I were recreating the world, because it was fun, though we did it all by hand and didn't get nearly as far as those using world editing tools.

But what I envision would be not just a recreation of the map, but a heavily modded client to actually implement the RPG features of Runescape. It would include a server side mod, and the client sided mod would include a "world list" which had predefined servers in a list to select (maybe just 1, or 1 per region if it were successful. Obviously money would play a part). The mod would also include all the items from the game, a redefined inventory/equip system, XP systems etc. It's very ambitious and I probably wouldn't be able to do it, but after a few years of Java experience I know I could at least get started with something. The time commitment is something I don't have though, and motivation alone can't carry it. So basically it's just something I think would be cool, but probably not something I'd ever do.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2016, 11:36 PM by Mudbill.)
06-08-2016, 11:36 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

I have several fantasized movie ideas in mind which I'll share. I'll put em all in spoilers so you don't have to scroll through this post to read blocks of plots.

Some of these aren't largely thought out but just something I'd want to make if I was ever a movie director or writer.

Night Shift (Horror)
Spoiler below!
The film is set in an (haunted) international history museum where statues and artifacts are doing strange things in the middle of the night. The film follows a new night guard as the protagonist, noticing creepy changes, images, and hearing noises throughout the night. One particular antagonist is an Egyptian pharaoh statue that stalks the night guard in the darkness and shadows. Appearing in random spots, usually facing the direction of the night guard and you never see the statue physically move (until perhaps the climax, would love some creepy stop motion animation for that.)

The Caverns(Working Title)(Sci-fi Thriller)
Spoiler below!
Inspired by the James Cameron film The Abyss, The Caverns is set in the near future, (very) deep underground where massive cavern systems were discovered and are beginning to be exploited for resources and research. The film follows ore miners, and a US Marine team who are contracted to investigate contact loss with a classified military outpost along with a US Marine team running the operation. During the course of the film the miners find out that some kind of ghost-like entities are in the caves with them, curious apparitions who inhabit the cave and cautiously come out while everyone is sleeping.

I do have other ideas too, but I don't feel like clogging up the post with so much stuff. If anyone wants to hear more, I'll edit this and put the rest of my ideas down.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
06-10-2016, 12:46 AM
Find
Koopa Rs07 Offline

Threads: 30

(06-08-2016, 11:36 PM)Mudbill Wrote: One thing I always thought of was creating a Runescape version of Minecraft.
Awesome concept! I've been a Runescape fan since 2005. It's such a different kind of game. I'd love a skill grinding version of Minecraft. Smelting iron bars and advancing in smithing, to create an iron sword to kill pigs for food. Then woodcut trees and advance in woodcutting, only to use that wood to create a home that will advance your construction level. The game would be a never-ending desire to advance. It would be addicting like Minecraft, times 2 with the addition of leveling skills. Countless things to do.

If the game had some kind of retro 3D graphics like Runescape, it would be a nice touch.

For me though, I've thought about creating a "Museum of Lore". It would be an Amnesia mod. You would explore corridors and rooms consisting of pictures and items, and when you touch those items (for example: the orb), my voice would tell the lore behind that item. It would be like all my Amnesia lore videos as an interactive game. I don't think I should make something like this yet, as I have plenty of Amnesia lore videos to make.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2016, 06:24 AM by Koopa Rs07.)
06-11-2016, 06:18 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

I've been playing with an idea about a game where your goal is to destroy all of the enemy players.
The enemy players' goal is to destroy you and only you.
All enemy players are controlled by an AI.
The enemy players will work together to achieve their goal.
You have to outsmart them to win.

Levels would have increasing difficulty and bigger/smaller amounts of enemy players.

Trying is the first step to success.
07-16-2016, 09:07 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

Yoda needs it's own movie following story in his younger age when he had some hair.

[Image: obi-wan-yoda-boba-fett-3-star-wars-chara...535243.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2016, 02:48 PM by Radiance.)
07-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(07-16-2016, 09:07 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: I've been playing with an idea about a game where your goal is to destroy all of the enemy players.

Sounds something like Evolve. (?)

07-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Website Find
Posting Freak

(07-22-2016, 03:26 PM)IIPEE Wrote:
(07-16-2016, 09:07 PM)FlawlessHappiness Wrote: I've been playing with an idea about a game where your goal is to destroy all of the enemy players.

Sounds something like Evolve. (?)

You're right. But I'd like to make it a little more primitive. No multiple abilities. No 3D. Primarily singleplayer.

07-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

How many enemies? Why single-player as primary?

07-22-2016, 04:46 PM
Website Find
Posting Freak

(07-22-2016, 04:46 PM)IIPEE Wrote: How many enemies? Why single-player as primary?

Depends on the level difficulty and the difficulty of the AI.
The focus (if I were to make this) would be on making the AI as difficult as possible. That's why primarily singleplayer. Because it's going to be about the AI.

07-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Find