Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Blog: "One Month after Amnesia's release"
ajvitaly Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Blog: "One Month after Amnesia's release"

(10-31-2010, 06:02 PM)UnrealQW Wrote: I'm one of those players who downloaded pirated version but later bought the game. I felt obligated to support authors... After one day of playing pirated game I liked it so much that I promised myself to not play it anymore until I'll buy it. Waiting 3 weeks (I live in Russia BTW) for my MasterCard to arrive was unpleasant, but finally I received it and bought the game.

So, not all pirates don't buy games. This happens not so often (especially in Russia) but there is a chance. I recommend using some sort of protection, though, like Steam. I fear that further Internet/torrents spread, fewer people will bother to buy a game -- it's just a psychology of new generation.

I still don't understand why you would pirate the game when there is a demo for it.
11-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

Wasn't it released in box form to physical stores in Russia? Otherwise I'd say he pirated it because he couldn't order it online without a credit card, which he apparently got specially for this game. Which is now no longer necessary with the new ingenious mobile phone charge system.
11-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Find
flcn27 Offline

Threads: 4

I think a co-op mode for Amnesia will take away most of the tension.
But if the budget allows it and you want to give this game more replay value (to sell more copies?), here's an idea for a multiplayer mode:

First of all, there'll be a custom level editor. Try to make it easy to use. Give us basic layouts and effects and some advanced options (scripts?) for the hardcore fans.
You can create maps for yourself or you can upload them to an online database. You can also try out one of those maps yourself. You can give each map a rating and leave a comment.

Personally I think that you should stick with singleplayer-only games but if there'll ever be a multiplayer mode for a game made by Frictional Games, I think giving players the chance to create their own horror scenarios or experience scenarios made by others is the best solution.
11-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

As I was saying in my previous posts. The traditional method of co-op or multiplay just wouldn't work for frictional's style.

Most single-player games have multiplayer tacked on and can be considered a seperate game.
This is how online multiplay only games became popular. People bought it for the campaign but ended up preferring the online part without even knowing it was there to start with. Think, MoH, Return to Castle Wolfenstein-which spawned Enemy Territory, and all the mods for Half Life.

But this separation which has been magnified and emphasised to attract customers looking for another excellent add-on to the game, often brings down the whole product.

I feel if it was to work with a Frictional game, the multiplayer part would have to emulate the single-player environment that is working so well. All predictability would have to be removed. i.e. knowing for certain that it is your friend in the next room or chatting away over voice text etc. This could be implemented with either randomly or admin generated content. I can't stress enough how much this would have to be done in real-time or at least buffered so that you don't know which map or events will happen. The issue with horror games is that after one play you know whats coming, and with horror multiplay, you can ask what's coming. This must be avoided.

Naturally you would need some kind of communication to set up games prior to their start. But once you are in, the conditions need to be set and unbreakable until it finishes or you quit.

To summarise: all traditional multiplay interfaces that are suited to things like shooters and sports would have to go or be disguised as in-game elements. "Someone leaves the game-they appear get taken by a monster". Thats the kind of ethos I would love to see. It was why the mp aspect of games like Bioshock 2 and crysis was totally different and felt fake compared to the sp side. Characters had names above their heads and their was a scoreboard!! What kind of immersion is this? Are scores and damage meters really necessary for anything appart from sport sims and COD? I think not.

Make this and it would be truly unique
11-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Find
flcn27 Offline

(11-02-2010, 06:45 PM)mattwestwick Wrote: As I was saying in my previous posts. The traditional method of co-op or multiplay just wouldn't work for frictional's style.

Most single-player games have multiplayer tacked on and can be considered a seperate game.
This is how online multiplay only games became popular. People bought it for the campaign but ended up preferring the online part without even knowing it was there to start with. Think, MoH, Return to Castle Wolfenstein-which spawned Enemy Territory, and all the mods for Half Life.

But this separation which has been magnified and emphasised to attract customers looking for another excellent add-on to the game, often brings down the whole product.

I feel if it was to work with a Frictional game, the multiplayer part would have to emulate the single-player environment that is working so well. All predictability would have to be removed. i.e. knowing for certain that it is your friend in the next room or chatting away over voice text etc. This could be implemented with either randomly or admin generated content. I can't stress enough how much this would have to be done in real-time or at least buffered so that you don't know which map or events will happen. The issue with horror games is that after one play you know whats coming, and with horror multiplay, you can ask what's coming. This must be avoided.

Naturally you would need some kind of communication to set up games prior to their start. But once you are in, the conditions need to be set and unbreakable until it finishes or you quit.

To summarise: all traditional multiplay interfaces that are suited to things like shooters and sports would have to go or be disguised as in-game elements. "Someone leaves the game-they appear get taken by a monster". Thats the kind of ethos I would love to see. It was why the mp aspect of games like Bioshock 2 and crysis was totally different and felt fake compared to the sp side. Characters had names above their heads and their was a scoreboard!! What kind of immersion is this? Are scores and damage meters really necessary for anything appart from sport sims and COD? I think not.

Make this and it would be truly unique

I like the feature in Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. In the CT co-op mode, you can communicate with each other with mics, but enemies will hear you. So you have to whisper when enemies are close.
If Frictional will ever do a MP game (or a game with MP mode), that might be a cool feature. If you talk too loud through your mic, you might alert a monster!
As for the gameplay itself, what about a 2-player co-op mode where both players are seperated from each other? They both make their way through the environment and communicate with mics (or maybe text chat, what about writing notes?).
At certain points they can help out each other or they have to work together to move on.
Imagine that you actually have the choice to decide what the other player is going to face! And that, perhaps, you can even leave a note for him to help him out.
This MP mode will have to rely more on random than scripted events but the potential is there.
I prefer SP games though Tongue I'd rather see a great singleplayer than a 'meh' SP and a decent MP mode.
11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Find
UnrealQW Offline

Threads: 0

(11-01-2010, 02:06 PM)ajvitaly Wrote:
(10-31-2010, 06:02 PM)UnrealQW Wrote: I'm one of those players who downloaded pirated version but later bought the game. I felt obligated to support authors...

I still don't understand why you would pirate the game when there is a demo for it.

That's simple. I download stuff not to choose which game to buy or not. I download to play the game.

BTW I ordered my MasterCard to buy two games -- not Amnesia only. I didn't buy box version of a game 'coz a) I want developers to receive more of my money (that would otherwise spread among publisher and intermediaries) and b) I prefer games in their original language.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM by UnrealQW.)
11-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Find
jameslame Offline

Threads: 0

Quote:Frictional Games will live to create another game!
Fuck yes!
Just wanted to say thanks for creating such excellent games.
11-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Find
Murloc Offline

Threads: 3

Would be very nice to get an update on how many copies of the game that have sold now after 2 months. I might be wrong, but hasnt Amnesia become much more popular since one month back?

Would be awesome if someone from frictional could post some updated numbers. Make a "Two months after Amnesia's release" :p
(This post was last modified: 11-08-2010, 10:29 PM by Murloc.)
11-08-2010, 09:45 PM
Find
flcn27 Offline

(11-08-2010, 09:45 PM)Murloc Wrote: Would be very nice to get an update on how many copies of the game that have sold now after 2 months. I might be wrong, but hasnt Amnesia become much more popular since one month back?

Would be awesome if someone from frictional could post some updated numbers!

Amnesia has been in the Steam Top 10 for quite a few days so hopefully the amount of copies sold has increased (a lot). I'd like to see a new blog as well but maybe they're still counting Tongue

11-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I assume that after they made enough to finance their next game they stopped counting and wringing their hands and are now busy developing.
11-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Find