Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Do you want more tutorials?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
More Scripting Tutorials
28.79%
19 28.79%
More Modeling Tutorials
12.12%
8 12.12%
More Level Editor Tutorials
15.15%
10 15.15%
More Particle Editor Tutorials
9.09%
6 9.09%
More Lighting Tutorials
13.64%
9 13.64%
More Video Tutorials
18.18%
12 18.18%
Don't Need Any Tutorials
3.03%
2 3.03%
Total 66 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
We Need Some More Tutorials!
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36
Tongue  We Need Some More Tutorials!

I think we should get some more tutorials to make our games more scary! Mostly scripting tutorials. Video tutorials personally help me the most. Big Grin

10-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Find
Chilton Offline

Threads: 9
RE: We Need Some More Tutorials!

(10-09-2010, 01:58 AM)Kyle Wrote: I think we should get some more tutorials to make our games more scary! Mostly scripting tutorials. Video tutorials oersonally help me the most. Big Grin

I find scripting to be easy nowadays - However, i can recall about two weeks ago when i knew nothing about XML at all, and would probably still be completely hopeless if i didnt already know a fair bit of C++ and HTML.

So based on that, rather than making a tutorial, someone should make a series of videos detailing how to use scripts - As in, not how to script, how to make scripts work. Callbacks, Door Locking, Light Control, Sounds Playing, and how to set these things up properly. Itd certainly help alot of people - Think of it as being like the tutorial for How to make a key open a locked door, only for every script. It would take some time, but it could work...

On the flipside, just knowing the code on its own merits is much better in the long run

But yes, tutorials for the beginners i say
(Did i just type that much? :p)
10-09-2010, 02:35 AM
Find
mastersmith98 Offline

Threads: 3

Right now the tutorials on the wiki, no offence to the original authors, could use some improvements as far as orginization and readability. There's a lot of really important details that are tucked away into paragraphs that most people won't catch.

Join the Amnesia Modders group on Moddb!
10-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Find
SiamJai Offline

Threads: 1

I just started playing around with the editor so I don't know yet if anything is difficult enough to warrant more tuts. For now I just want to note that the original game's scripts are very well-documented, so we've got a huge script tutorial library and live examples right there.

[Image: 3Ddemon_adbanner_458x101.jpg]
10-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

The idea of the wiki was to just add some basic info and groundwork, then the best thing to do is that if you notice and think of improvements you actually do those improvements instead of just saying that someone else should do it.
10-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Website Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

I'll think I'll do a tut on creating a proper extra_english.lang file, as that seems to be largely unmentioned in the Wiki.

If you want more tuts, guys, DO more tuts!

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Find
Chilton Offline

Id make a tutorial, but id end up rambling about Syntaxes and bugfixing for pages/hours depending on if it was text or video - If anything, there should be a usermade tutorial page on the wiki.
10-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

(10-09-2010, 02:59 PM)Chilton Wrote: Id make a tutorial, but id end up rambling about Syntaxes and bugfixing for pages/hours depending on if it was text or video - If anything, there should be a usermade tutorial page on the wiki.

A user-made tutorials section.. good idea. Would help cleaning up the tutorial page!
I can publish your tutorials on the wiki if you want, but I need to figure out how to upload images there first Big Grin

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Find
Chilton Offline

(10-09-2010, 03:41 PM)Frontcannon Wrote:
(10-09-2010, 02:59 PM)Chilton Wrote: Id make a tutorial, but id end up rambling about Syntaxes and bugfixing for pages/hours depending on if it was text or video - If anything, there should be a usermade tutorial page on the wiki.

A user-made tutorials section.. good idea. Would help cleaning up the tutorial page!
I can publish your tutorials on the wiki if you want, but I need to figure out how to upload images there first Big Grin
We'll see if this works out - If a tutorial page actually goes up and starts getting used, ill gladly pitch in and post a few tutorials - The first id do is bugfixing; Since many people seem to have trouble with it
10-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Well this is the tutorial page as of now, I'd suggest putting up a 'User-made Tutorials' section where MulleDK19's video tutorials etc go in and make that our tutorial page!

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
10-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Find