Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

My friend gave up on this game because...
dvow Offline

Threads: 1
My friend gave up on this game because...

It was apparently really boring. He said the pacing was slow, and got bored. I was confused, and asked how far he made it, and he just got to the wine cellar.

I am trying to convince him that he needs to keep going, but he refuses to, citing again he found the game boring and has no need to play anymore. He even deleted it from his hard drive, and called it a wasted purchase.

I don't know how to react to this. I know he's not stupid. Is there anything I can say to convince him to give this game another chance? Or does this guy have just plain old terrible taste in games? Has anyone else given up so early because this game was boring and slow?
10-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Find
Evoken Offline

Threads: 0
RE: My friend gave up on this game because...

Honestly, I think your friend is trying to protect his pride.
10-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Find
TheLittleGarfield Offline

Threads: 2

Just make a custom map where a billion brutes attack him when he opens the first door.

Meh...
10-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

Is your friend the sort who can get immersed into a game, or the sort who simply plays games for mindless sense of enjoyment? I know the game is not for everyone, and for some people they are angered at the fact that you cannot defend yourself against the creatures.

Those who see it that way do not realize that Daniel is just one normal man, one normal weak man against a haunting shadow, creatures of unknown origin (at least to me since I am only at the Prison Ward), and an ever-present hint of terror running down the character's spine.

Is he the sort to normally enjoy solving puzzles and survival, or the sort who just wants to shoot a gun and watch Target A go into a ragdoll?

I myself absolutely DESPISE horror games, but I am playing Amnesia nonetheless to try and grow some chest hair; dang nabbit.
10-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Find
Yodake Offline

Threads: 3

frighten too much Big Grin
10-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

(10-09-2010, 07:51 PM)dvow Wrote: It was apparently really boring. He said the pacing was slow, and got bored. I was confused, and asked how far he made it, and he just got to the wine cellar.

I am trying to convince him that he needs to keep going, but he refuses to, citing again he found the game boring and has no need to play anymore. He even deleted it from his hard drive, and called it a wasted purchase.

I don't know how to react to this. I know he's not stupid. Is there anything I can say to convince him to give this game another chance? Or does this guy have just plain old terrible taste in games? Has anyone else given up so early because this game was boring and slow?

Nah , just let him be ...

Taste differs.

me , on the other hand enjoy both Amnesia and (much hyped) Halo Reach Wink
10-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Website Find
Twin Offline

Threads: 1

your friend probably belongs to what i'd call the "Call of Duty generation"
10-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Some people can't watch Moon or Blade Runner all the way through because they're 'boring'. It kind of just means they've no taste for brooding slowly mounting horror.

Did you explain that the game is not a survival horror but an adventure game? Survival horror has, for most people, stopped meaning Silent Hill 1 AKA powerless or almost powerless protagonist, and means Resident Evil 4 and a shotgun that beheads 15 zombies at once with plenty of ammo. I know that would be a rude awakening, and possibly infuriating.

Also if he's gotten to the wine cellar playing like a bored person, it's probably only been 30 minutes, and is not giving the game a fair shake.
10-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Find
Blood Beast Peggy Offline

Threads: 0

He either doesn't want to admit that he stopped playing because he was too afraid or he really didn't enjoy it that much. It's his choice after all. People have different tastes.
10-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Find
Vanishing Offline

Hes just scared.
10-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Find